IGNORED

LP5 - 20th anniversary

Chabraendeky

A good while ago, i brought my LP5 CD into my mate's car (he hated it, of course..) & the sticker just fell out (like all LP5 stickers do..), so i put it inside my wallet & i left it there, like some weird paper talisman, for many many years until a pickpocket stole my wallet in the subway. I didnt care about the passport, i didnt care about my credit card but i felt sorry for my missing LP5 sticker..  :catsuicide:

Phil Freeman didn't even mention Vose In or Arch Carrier? I'm disappointed. Those are two of my favorite trax from LP5.

I totally forgot about "Arch Carrier" but once I heard it I realized how much I ripped it off for a track back in the day.

Phil Freeman didn't even mention Vose In or Arch Carrier? I'm disappointed. Those are two of my favorite trax from LP5.

I totally forgot about "Arch Carrier" but once I heard it I realized how much I ripped it off for a track back in the day.

their most glorious hip hop moment in my opinion...

still my fav ae album. it may sound cliché, but this one really feels like a long and exciting journey to me, from to upbeat melodies of Acroyear2, over the mesmerizing rhythms of tracks like Under BOAC and Arch Carrier, until the melancholy closing track Drane2. Listening to LP5, i really do get the elusive sense of narrative that they aim to convey, according to some interview i read a while back. Definitely needs a vinyl reissue

still my fav ae album. it may sound cliché, but this one really feels like a long and exciting journey to me, from to upbeat melodies of Acroyear2, over the mesmerizing rhythms of tracks like Under BOAC and Arch Carrier, until the melancholy closing track Drane2. Listening to LP5, i really do get the elusive sense of narrative that they aim to convey, according to some interview i read a while back. Definitely needs a vinyl reissue

couldn't have said it better myself, the flow / "album"-feel is indeed absolutely impeccable on this one. tracks like 777 haven't aged a fuck.

I always liked LP5. Happy belated birthday, LP5.

Were there any interviews from around this time about the process of creating this? Were they using Max for sequencing this early on or was it still hardware?

I spammed my first album at Sean in chatmm when he was hanging out there during the AAA. This was in private chat. He was into it because I'd made it mostly from misusing the Noise Removal tool in Audacity and generating stuff from silence etc. He started talking about LP5 and abusing some plugin that is supposed to remove reverb? Tbh by that point I was way out of my depth and just doing the chatroom version of smiling, nodding and going "huh".

Reverb removers are basically sophisticated transient shapers. Off label usage can make it create interesting textures. Made use of that too in this track:

Probably my favourite AE release. I always felt it had an organic feel to it, or at least that’s how I’d describe it. Agree the album flow on this one is strong.

• 5 weeks later...

Chiastic Slide and LP5 vinyl reissues please!

Now now now...

Are you fucking insane? Most of us have just spent £120 on NTS. Which some of us STILL haven't had the fucking despatch notification for...

Chiastic Slide and LP5 vinyl reissues please!

Now now now...

Are you fucking insane? Most of us have just spent £120 on NTS. Which some of us STILL haven't had the fucking despatch notification for...

Yes I am. I want a non-pissy version of LP5 though. I have it on zero formats now. ?

Still waiting for my NTS shipment notification too.

They are different sizes of the same coin. How could be one side bigger, than the other?

They are black and white, light and darkness, yin and yang. No one is without the other. In my perception they are equals. For me it's meaningless to rank the two.

i always love LP5. there as a while when i didn't listen to it though. every track resolves so perfectly it made me feel edgy a bit.  took me a while to get over.  EP7 was good medicine.

LP5 is one of those perfect albums imo. I feel like I don't need to listen to it as often anymore, but it was them at their most Nordy.. and basically the reason why I wanted a Nord Lead for so long (and finally got one last year).

Yep... I was really into LP5 in high school and then I had to stop listening for a while because it was too perfect, it felt like it didn't leave any room for my own stupid interpretations, just made me feel insignificant and unworthy. I always thought of it as their most "cinematic" album although that term would probably make both of them cringe. It's epic, in the original sense of the word.

"Vose In" in particular is one of those tracks that just nails a feeling so perfectly (actually like 2 or 3 adjacent ones) that it becomes synonymous with it, there isn't any other music for that feeling anymore.

Were there any interviews from around this time about the process of creating this? Were they using Max for sequencing this early on or was it still hardware?

Pretty sure the sequencing was Max heavy but probably not entirely Max. Also, if I recall correctly, they actually used DX100 as much as Nord. You can definitely hear it if you listen for it (Acroyear2 in particular) - in a lot of cases it's not doing anything particularly trippy or weird but it just fits perfectly and doesn't kill the vibe. I love how much mileage they got out of that old thing, how it fits in neatly all the way from Amber to EP7, doesn't stick out and just sounds timeless.

I always thought of it as their most "cinematic" album although that term would probably make both of them cringe. It's epic, in the original sense of the word.

^This so very much. The album sets up a whole world and tells a story in it from beginning to end. I can't see tracks like 777 or Vose In ever get old. Like i stated elsewhere the many interludes / interludish segments within tracks really help the overall flow tremendously, in this regard alone i feel it's still unmatched as an album.

And no, EP7 is not better u sillies! :*

Archived