IGNORED

Sonic Youth

Polytrix

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I never got into SY but they seem cool in interviews and stuff. I bought Daydream Nation on CD about 15 years ago, played it through twice and decided it was boring. I really like the songs from Murray Street posted here. I think I could get into them since I like some stuff that's kind of bordering on their territory like Tortoise, Boredoms, Seefeel, Deerhunter - I probably just need to find the right album.

post your fav lyrics

"You spinned the discs / now you're moving your wrist

I'm just from Encino / why are you so meano"

amazing

Don't just stare

Cuz she's not wearing underwear

Ew ew ew ew ew ew ew ew

Unusually normal, but great song by them. The first of them I heard. It was in an old 411VM skate video and it paired with Arto Saari. Cool shit. 

Does anyone know much about their custom made instruments and noise generation devices? I think I read that they had a load of custom modded guitars stolen after a show and were gutted about that....can't remember exactly what it is.

They had a bunch of their gear stolen on tour at the end of the nineties, and since they relied heavily on using specific guitars for specific songs etc. it was essentially back to the drawing board and NYC Ghosts & Flowers was the result.

Several of those guitars have been recovered by the way, some 10+ years later.

http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang/eq/gear.html

What else could I add. Excellent band. One of a very few "guitar bands" I count on to never ever make me cringe at the thought of having once liked them. I had Goo and Washing Machine back in rotation recently, but feel like I'll never be done cycling through their discography.

It's funny this thread has come up recently as I've been listening to them more as of lately. Ive always loved Sonic Youth. I own Evol, Bad Moon Rising and Dirty on CD... Evol has to be my fav of their albums I've heard so far. Their dreamy hazy entrancing vibes are incredible on there and no guitar-based band has such an effect the way they they do imo. A million sigur ros's couldn't come close to their intoxicating hypnosis, though I'm a fan of them too.

My favorite of theirs ... Hard for me to articulate what this song does to me, but it feels timeless, ancient, mysterious, unknown, and incredibly expansive and deep... Like a 3:30 de ja vu that feels like its telling me the story of my life by whispering to my subconscious in a language im ... still learning?

https://youtu.be/9qTb5MVFuQU

I'm a Daydream Nation/Murray Street kind of guy usually but I should probably listen to the shit out of tons of their albums. 

^same. This thread has prompted me to refamiliarize myself with everything I've heard so far though and I've run into the problem you get with all musical acts with discographies this large.

I've downloaded the 9 albums I know and then a further 5 that I should listen to.

That's a lot of fucking music to listen to from just one of the many acts you'd like to keep in frequent rotation.

*puts on all 8hrs of NTS Sessions again*

post your fav lyrics

"You spinned the discs / now you're moving your wrist

I'm just from Encino / why are you so meano"

amazing

Don't just stare

Cuz she's not wearing underwear

Ew ew ew ew ew ew ew ew

Caught shadow

In sex meadow

Little darlings describe the scene

Purring notions of the dripping dream

We've been searching for the cream dream wax

Lathe killers make the meters crack

Ive been a big fan since I was a youngster. Think the first time I ever saw then was the video for Sunday and shortly after I got the Screaming Fields of Sonic Love compilation and worked thru their discography from there.

There isnt a record I dislike, NYC Ghosts is maligned largely due to that 0.0 Pitchfork review but it is slim pickings. Id say Rather Ripped is a bit too straight/clean for me as well. Fave is prob Sister or Sonic Nurse. I never got round to seeing them live cause I thought theyd be round forever. The way they split up left a bit of a bad taste and I havent really explored their recent solo stuff as a result.

NYC Ghosts is maligned largely due to that 0.0 Pitchfork review

Didn't know about the Pitchfork review but I used to read Select magazine back in the day and they also gave it 0

The way they split up left a bit of a bad taste and I havent really explored their recent solo stuff as a result.

Don't know anything about this. What do you mean?

Its kind of stupid,(and selfish on my part) but Thurston's penis ended Sonic Youth. If he just kept it in his pants then i wouldnt have been deprived of further SY albums. Now when i hear his solo stuff i just think of him driving round Stoke Newington in a red ferrari full of hipsters 30 years his junior. While Kim Gordon makes these sad nothingy Body/head records.

Yeah it was quite acrimonious, and Id say precludes any possible reunion in the future. Kim doesnt really pull any punches in her autobiography. I really hoped they could put their differences aside purely for my benefit & entertaiment.

Unusually normal, but great song by them. The first of them I heard. It was in an old 411VM skate video and it paired with Arto Saari. Cool shit. 

sounds a lot like dino jr from 1:30 onwards, and 2:20 sounds like a very specific dino song in fact, but i can't tell which one. never noticed this before lol.

Hah, wow, never noticed this either. Sounds like something off Green Mind.

Yeah it was quite acrimonious, and Id say precludes any possible reunion in the future. Kim doesnt really pull any punches in her autobiography. I really hoped they could put their differences aside purely for my benefit & entertaiment.

I wanted to know all about this.

So did he cheat on her then? Were they married?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^ I never read into the split (marriage or band), always assumed if anyone was going to be running around it would be Kim, she's got that celebrity/pop culture obsession and all.

161O.gif

Definitely would shortlist for "pretty much the greatest band of all time" award.

This is also one of those bands that is immediately recognizable but has managed to put out a diverse discography. I think everyone could pinpoint at least one album of theirs that speaks to them greatly. Lot of deep cuts, lot of interesting history in the context of indie rock.

Lot of deep cuts with this band - I revisited EVOL recently and for some reason this hit me like a brick.

(some of the) lyrics to Saucer Like, just extraordinary imo

Swirling whirling through the city of ages

You sink a bit whenever angels fly

Do you have a feeling for their fuzzy faces?

Are you close enough to see into their eyes?

I'm having a wonderful vision of the city today

Buildings all lined up neat on straight sun lit blocks

Avenue canyons stretch forever

Handcut panes grooved like a record

Flat bridge

Peer, boat, docks

I'm slipping round the bottom edge [line echoes]

Do you trip and breeze

Down city streets

Just a little free

With your head in the trees

Sonic Nurse is a really strong album front to back.  I just gave it a couple listen throughs for the first time in a long time.  So far from Washing Machine onward it is the strongest of the lot.  Still got Rather Ripped and Eternal to go in my stroll through the second half of their album discog.

Archived