Join WATMM Now!

Register and Subscribe now for as little 3.00 USD for one year to gain Supporting Member access. We also have other subscription packages to choose from that grant you extra abilities and features.

A subscription is required in order to post, reply to posts, start topics, search, and other features.

By joining and subscribing, you are helping support the forums, as well enable us to add new features and enhancements (and maintain them).

Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

To sign up for a subscription package, click your user name in the upper right, and choose "Client Area". Then, choose a package that suits your needs.

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Auditory hallucination-esque moments in Ae

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#1 tneuvm

tneuvm

Void Dweller

• Supporting Member
  • PipPip
  • 112 posts
  • 2 topics
  • Joined 10-April 18

Posted 26 July 2018 - 11:27 PM

Obviously the Ae boys make very subtle music, and (as they themselves have noted) tend to attract a lot of detail-oriented listeners. So I'm curious if anyone else has kept mental note of any subtle / borderline subliminal shit going on in Ae tracks that you think might be worth sharing.

This isn't (intentionally) about really pedantic, boring stuff--but about surprising musical / sonic details that you maybe thought you had to be imagining until you listened to the track in question again. (The basic assumption is just that it's fun to find out about interesting things that we might've missed--especially in music as ingenious as Ae's.)

I'm mainly thinking of how a lot of Autechre tracks will include really short, quiet, one-off voice-like sounds, creating a sort of haunted / "ghost in the machine" vibe. A few examples I had in mind: around 2:00 in recks on, 3:19 in YJY UX, 1:15 in Ipacial Section, the snare in Calbruc that sounds like someone saying "YAH!", etc.

(Sorry if this sort of thing is already covered by another thread, but I'm interested bc I don't think I've seen this explicitly discussed anywhere else.)

Edited by tneuvm, 26 July 2018 - 11:57 PM.

#2 MIXL2

MIXL2

Owl of Minerva

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,416 posts
  • 92 topics
  • Joined 08-August 12
  • Interests:muziq & maths

Posted 27 July 2018 - 12:20 AM

I'm pretty sure I have hallucinated seans fart noises in multiple ae tracks

#3 Chabraendeky

Chabraendeky

Recently Joined

• Members Plus
  • PipPip
  • 197 posts
  • 4 topics
  • Joined 26-April 18
  • SoundCloud URL:https://soundcloud.com/tschabrendeki
  • Interests:renaissance & baroque music & Autechre

Posted 27 July 2018 - 12:55 AM

The jazzy pop-soul song in Cap.IV

#4 tneuvm

tneuvm

Void Dweller

• Supporting Member
  • PipPip
  • 112 posts
  • 2 topics
  • Joined 10-April 18

Posted 27 July 2018 - 02:18 AM

oh I'm sure that you've done that. but this thread is about actually present musical content. you can make your own "times i've imagined fart noises" thread if you want

The jazzy pop-soul song in Cap.IV

man that sounds awful

another example is the weird murmuring sounds near the beginning of foldfree casual. there's probably a lot of things you could mention about that track actually.

#5 MIXL2

MIXL2

Owl of Minerva

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,416 posts
  • 92 topics
  • Joined 08-August 12

Posted 27 July 2018 - 02:45 AM

oh I'm sure that you've done that. but this thread is about actually present musical content. you can make your own "times i've imagined fart noises" thread if you want 

but it is present, like when tac lacora drops that delicious wet fart at the start

Spoiler

Edited by MIXL2, 27 July 2018 - 02:53 AM.

#6 hello spiral

hello spiral

Crib's Warship Rots

• EKT Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,893 posts
  • 86 topics
  • Joined 20-July 08
  • Interests:Being smooth

Posted 27 July 2018 - 03:09 AM

There's a small bit in the beginning of elyc9 7hres that I always think is a car tooting its horn if I'm out walking and listening.

#7 tneuvm

tneuvm

Void Dweller

• Supporting Member
  • PipPip
  • 112 posts
  • 2 topics
  • Joined 10-April 18

Posted 27 July 2018 - 03:11 AM

but it is present, like when tac lacora drops that delicious wet fart at the start

Spoiler

suuure it's totally there :rolleyes:

Spoiler

#8 MIXL2

MIXL2

Owl of Minerva

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,416 posts
  • 92 topics
  • Joined 08-August 12

Posted 27 July 2018 - 03:13 AM

u never know on watmm m8

lentic catachresis is full of this stuff tbh, if I'm sleepy enough I hear coherent words in my head from it

#9 EXTRASUPER81

EXTRASUPER81

Recently Joined

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 278 posts
  • 4 topics
  • Joined 25-June 16

Posted 27 July 2018 - 03:26 AM

I heard some voices in a track that I never heard or noticed before the other day, but I'm fucked if I can remember what it was. Not very helpful I know.
Might have been a track off the first disc of move of ten - pce freeze maybe
Or rew(1)
Fwiw the first disc of move of ten is faultless imo. Some favourite stuff on there, straight bangers.

#10 mcbpete

mcbpete

<3 everything

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,143 posts
  • 179 topics
  • Joined 01-July 01

Posted 27 July 2018 - 03:28 AM

Absolutely tons of stuff in Perlence Subrange 6-36:

https://forum.watmm....40#entry1811340

Listen real carefully (on decent headphones) to the section from 18:24 - 18:58 - in the background it sounds like a recoding of like an old English police siren going past and some sort of squeaking something or other that plays a couple of times (it's repeated a bit again in a slightly different guise at 21:49-21:53). There also sounds like very brief snippets of people talking from 20:52 - 21:08

#11 Roo

Roo

Recently Joined

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 374 posts
  • 0 topics
  • Joined 28-February 12
  • Interests:Life

Posted 27 July 2018 - 03:44 AM

Pretty sure a female voice briefly pops up in sinistrail, definitely one of those paranoia headphones moments.

Agreed on Move of Ten, one of the quiet classics in their catalogue, has aged remarkably well, all bangers.

Edited by Roo, 27 July 2018 - 03:45 AM.

#12 darreichungsform

darreichungsform

hav pensi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,497 posts
  • 75 topics
  • Joined 31-July 16
  • SoundCloud URL:https://soundcloud.com/darreichungsform
  • Interests:good things

Posted 27 July 2018 - 04:23 AM

there's a friggin' cat in the first track of NTS1

#13 mcbpete

mcbpete

<3 everything

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,143 posts
  • 179 topics
  • Joined 01-July 01

Posted 27 July 2018 - 04:28 AM

I can't remember which autechre.ws it is but the one that starts with a high pitched test-tone that quickly goes into this wash of ambient sound for several minutes. The first time I heard it I swear I could control the notes of the track - Like an aural magic eye picture that appears to be just random noise but if you focus on specific bits then concrete melodic elements pop out.

Happened to me a few times with 'all end' too ..

#14 xox

xox

2K, On My Way

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,376 posts
  • 6 topics
  • Joined 08-April 08

Posted 27 July 2018 - 06:04 AM

Absolutely tons of stuff in Perlence Subrange 6-36:

https://forum.watmm....40#entry1811340

Listen real carefully (on decent headphones) to the section from 18:24 - 18:58 - in the background it sounds like a recoding of like an old English police siren going past and some sort of squeaking something or other that plays a couple of times (it's repeated a bit again in a slightly different guise at 21:49-21:53). There also sounds like very brief snippets of people talking from 20:52 - 21:08

yes, this track is the best example of this that i can think of. i imagine that im in an old and huge space ship, floating deep in the space, im waking deep inside the ship's guts, listening the resonating hum coming from huge metal plates and thinking about the space, life as a phenomenon and shit. those distant voices are engineers doing repairments 

#15 Obel

Obel

6 warning points

• Supporting Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,962 posts
  • 59 topics
  • Joined 17-April 06

Posted 27 July 2018 - 06:19 AM

I can't remember which autechre.ws it is but the one that starts with a high pitched test-tone that quickly goes into this wash of ambient sound for several minutes. The first time I heard it I swear I could control the notes of the track - Like an aural magic eye picture that appears to be just random noise but if you focus on specific bits then concrete melodic elements pop out.

Happened to me a few times with 'all end' too ..

2005 one it was. All End reminded me of that exact thing when I first heard it.

#16 AJW

AJW

visianacy sarsheequinice

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,164 posts
  • 32 topics
  • Joined 15-September 09

Posted 27 July 2018 - 12:46 PM

A male voice in Recury that sounds like someone imitating drunken moaning (first one comes in at 6:15)
And the dog bark sounds that come in before and after the wakka-wakka-waaaa! bits.

#17 Rhombix

Rhombix

Split Pan Genus

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,847 posts
  • 166 topics
  • Joined 04-June 06
  • Interests:ebeorietemethhpiti

Posted 27 July 2018 - 03:01 PM

u never know on watmm m8

lentic catachresis is full of this stuff tbh, if I'm sleepy enough I hear coherent words in my head from it

biked in to say this. took me years to notice it but it's full of tiny scattered hip-hop vocal samples. at the beginning they're stretched and pitched up, but in the second half they're much clearer (tho very fragmented).

maybe the entire track is just made up of vocal samples, with varyingly heavy degrees of processing?

#18 MIXL2

MIXL2

Owl of Minerva

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,416 posts
  • 92 topics
  • Joined 08-August 12

Posted 27 July 2018 - 03:14 PM

u never know on watmm m8

biked in to say this. took me years to notice it but it's full of tiny scattered hip-hop vocal samples. at the beginning they're stretched and pitched up, but in the second half they're much clearer (tho very fragmented).

maybe the entire track is just made up of vocal samples, with varyingly heavy degrees of processing?
yeah, is a brilliant track.. has become a fav of mine on the ae front as of late

#19 tneuvm

tneuvm

Void Dweller

• Supporting Member
  • PipPip
  • 112 posts
  • 2 topics
  • Joined 10-April 18

Posted 28 July 2018 - 12:21 AM

At risk of sounding corny, it's been fun reading all your responses guys. watmm has to be the only place where a topic like this would get actual replies lol.

I heard some voices in a track that I never heard or noticed before the other day, but I'm fucked if I can remember what it was. Not very helpful I know.
Might have been a track off the first disc of move of ten - pce freeze maybe
Or rew(1)
Fwiw the first disc of move of ten is faultless imo. Some favourite stuff on there, straight bangers.

Yeah pce freeze even has a pretty obvious voice come in around 4 min. I completely forgot about that. move of ten is nuts.

u never know on watmm m8

Any particular timestamps? I think I know what you're talking about but since there's so many weird vocal sounds I'm not sure.

paranoia headphones moments

fuck, this should be thread name

#20 misc

misc

Recently Joined

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 410 posts
  • 19 topics
  • Joined 28-December 14

Posted 28 July 2018 - 04:54 PM

The opera singer at 2:48 in tac lacora

#21 vproc

vproc

1000 Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • 51 topics
  • Joined 29-December 09
  • SoundCloud URL:https://soundcloud.com/styrfmnsbldprncs
  • Interests:Autechre, economics, mathematics, LSD, ketamine, corn dogs

Posted 30 July 2018 - 02:07 PM

Back when I still smoked pot, the unintelligible vocalizations IO and IO (mons) from Quaristice and Quaristice (versions) sometimes seemed to repeat "all of these versions" but then the later part, after that would sometimes freak me the fuck out/make me really paranoid even though it's one of my favorite albums by anyone.

#22 hello spiral

hello spiral

Crib's Warship Rots

• EKT Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,893 posts
  • 86 topics
  • Joined 20-July 08
  • Interests:Being smooth

Posted 30 July 2018 - 02:54 PM

hi vproc!

#23 MIXL2

MIXL2

Owl of Minerva

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,416 posts
  • 92 topics
  • Joined 08-August 12

Posted 30 July 2018 - 03:40 PM

At

u never know on watmm m8

Any particular timestamps? I think I know what you're talking about but since there's so many weird vocal sounds I'm not sure.
Theyre scattered troughout the whole track.. it might b easier to hear at around 70% speed, altough they're chopped up n processed to shit to decipher any clear samples

#24 vproc

vproc

1000 Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • 51 topics
  • Joined 29-December 09
  • SoundCloud URL:https://soundcloud.com/styrfmnsbldprncs
  • Interests:Autechre, economics, mathematics, LSD, ketamine, corn dogs

Posted 30 July 2018 - 04:36 PM

Hi hello spiral! How's it going?