IGNORED

Auditory hallucination-esque moments in Ae

Obviously the Ae boys make very subtle music, and (as they themselves have noted) tend to attract a lot of detail-oriented listeners. So I'm curious if anyone else has kept mental note of any subtle / borderline subliminal shit going on in Ae tracks that you think might be worth sharing.

This isn't (intentionally) about really pedantic, boring stuff--but about surprising musical / sonic details that you maybe thought you had to be imagining until you listened to the track in question again. (The basic assumption is just that it's fun to find out about interesting things that we might've missed--especially in music as ingenious as Ae's.)

I'm mainly thinking of how a lot of Autechre tracks will include really short, quiet, one-off voice-like sounds, creating a sort of haunted / "ghost in the machine" vibe. A few examples I had in mind: around 2:00 in recks on, 3:19 in YJY UX, 1:15 in Ipacial Section, the snare in Calbruc that sounds like someone saying "YAH!", etc.

(Sorry if this sort of thing is already covered by another thread, but I'm interested bc I don't think I've seen this explicitly discussed anywhere else.)

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm pretty sure I have hallucinated seans fart noises in multiple ae tracks

oh I'm sure that you've done that. but this thread is about actually present musical content. you can make your own "times i've imagined fart noises" thread if you want

The jazzy pop-soul song in Cap.IV

man that sounds awful

another example is the weird murmuring sounds near the beginning of foldfree casual. there's probably a lot of things you could mention about that track actually.

oh I'm sure that you've done that. but this thread is about actually present musical content. you can make your own "times i've imagined fart noises" thread if you want 

but it is present, like when tac lacora drops that delicious wet fart at the start

I'm only taking the piss of the thread title man s funny ;)

but it is present, like when tac lacora drops that delicious wet fart at the start

I'm only taking the piss of the thread title man s funny ;)

suuure it's totally there :rolleyes:

did you think i was mad about your post or something? lol

I heard some voices in a track that I never heard or noticed before the other day, but I'm fucked if I can remember what it was. Not very helpful I know.

Might have been a track off the first disc of move of ten - pce freeze maybe

Or rew(1)

Fwiw the first disc of move of ten is faultless imo. Some favourite stuff on there, straight bangers.

Absolutely tons of stuff in Perlence Subrange 6-36:

https://forum.watmm.com/topic/34655-perlence-subrange-6-36/page-6?p=1811340&do=findComment&comment=1811340

Listen real carefully (on decent headphones) to the section from 18:24 - 18:58 - in the background it sounds like a recoding of like an old English police siren going past and some sort of squeaking something or other that plays a couple of times (it's repeated a bit again in a slightly different guise at 21:49-21:53). There also sounds like very brief snippets of people talking from 20:52 - 21:08

Pretty sure a female voice briefly pops up in sinistrail, definitely one of those paranoia headphones moments.

Agreed on Move of Ten, one of the quiet classics in their catalogue, has aged remarkably well, all bangers.

I can't remember which autechre.ws it is but the one that starts with a high pitched test-tone that quickly goes into this wash of ambient sound for several minutes. The first time I heard it I swear I could control the notes of the track - Like an aural magic eye picture that appears to be just random noise but if you focus on specific bits then concrete melodic elements pop out.

Happened to me a few times with 'all end' too ..

Absolutely tons of stuff in Perlence Subrange 6-36:

https://forum.watmm.com/topic/34655-perlence-subrange-6-36/page-6?p=1811340&do=findComment&comment=1811340

Listen real carefully (on decent headphones) to the section from 18:24 - 18:58 - in the background it sounds like a recoding of like an old English police siren going past and some sort of squeaking something or other that plays a couple of times (it's repeated a bit again in a slightly different guise at 21:49-21:53). There also sounds like very brief snippets of people talking from 20:52 - 21:08

yes, this track is the best example of this that i can think of. i imagine that im in an old and huge space ship, floating deep in the space, im waking deep inside the ship's guts, listening the resonating hum coming from huge metal plates and thinking about the space, life as a phenomenon and shit. those distant voices are engineers doing repairments 

I can't remember which autechre.ws it is but the one that starts with a high pitched test-tone that quickly goes into this wash of ambient sound for several minutes. The first time I heard it I swear I could control the notes of the track - Like an aural magic eye picture that appears to be just random noise but if you focus on specific bits then concrete melodic elements pop out.

Happened to me a few times with 'all end' too ..

2005 one it was. All End reminded me of that exact thing when I first heard it.

A male voice in Recury that sounds like someone imitating drunken moaning (first one comes in at 6:15)

And the dog bark sounds that come in before and after the wakka-wakka-waaaa! bits.

u never know on watmm m8

lentic catachresis is full of this stuff tbh, if I'm sleepy enough I hear coherent words in my head from it

biked in to say this. took me years to notice it but it's full of tiny scattered hip-hop vocal samples. at the beginning they're stretched and pitched up, but in the second half they're much clearer (tho very fragmented).

maybe the entire track is just made up of vocal samples, with varyingly heavy degrees of processing?

u never know on watmm m8

lentic catachresis is full of this stuff tbh, if I'm sleepy enough I hear coherent words in my head from it

biked in to say this. took me years to notice it but it's full of tiny scattered hip-hop vocal samples. at the beginning they're stretched and pitched up, but in the second half they're much clearer (tho very fragmented).

maybe the entire track is just made up of vocal samples, with varyingly heavy degrees of processing?

yeah, is a brilliant track.. has become a fav of mine on the ae front as of late

At risk of sounding corny, it's been fun reading all your responses guys. watmm has to be the only place where a topic like this would get actual replies lol.

I heard some voices in a track that I never heard or noticed before the other day, but I'm fucked if I can remember what it was. Not very helpful I know.
Might have been a track off the first disc of move of ten - pce freeze maybe
Or rew(1)
Fwiw the first disc of move of ten is faultless imo. Some favourite stuff on there, straight bangers.

Yeah pce freeze even has a pretty obvious voice come in around 4 min. I completely forgot about that. move of ten is nuts.

u never know on watmm m8

Any particular timestamps? I think I know what you're talking about but since there's so many weird vocal sounds I'm not sure.

paranoia headphones moments

fuck, this should be thread name

Back when I still smoked pot, the unintelligible vocalizations IO and IO (mons) from Quaristice and Quaristice (versions) sometimes seemed to repeat "all of these versions" but then the later part, after that would sometimes freak me the fuck out/make me really paranoid even though it's one of my favorite albums by anyone.

At

u never know on watmm m8

Any particular timestamps? I think I know what you're talking about but since there's so many weird vocal sounds I'm not sure.

Theyre scattered troughout the whole track.. it might b easier to hear at around 70% speed, altough they're chopped up n processed to shit to decipher any clear samples

Archived