IGNORED

Auditory hallucination-esque moments in Ae

u never know on watmm m8

lentic catachresis is full of this stuff tbh, if I'm sleepy enough I hear coherent words in my head from it

biked in to say this. took me years to notice it but it's full of tiny scattered hip-hop vocal samples. at the beginning they're stretched and pitched up, but in the second half they're much clearer (tho very fragmented).

maybe the entire track is just made up of vocal samples, with varyingly heavy degrees of processing?

Any particular timestamps? I think I know what you're talking about but since there's so many weird vocal sounds I'm not sure.
Theyre scattered troughout the whole track.. it might b easier to hear at around 70% speed, altough they're chopped up n processed to shit to decipher any clear samples

yea I think that's what I was getting at with "there's so many weird vocal sounds"--there's certainly a lot processed vocals mixed pretty low in it. I was just wondering if there are any specific easter egg type moments within all that stuff? =\

a few more:

-sounds like someone saying "whut" but cut off at 4:23 in roman numeral song

-maybe their earliest example(?) around 2:17 in 444 (this one is legit beautiful imo)

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you keep listening after the end of Drane2 then after a few minutes of silence you'll hear AE invading your brain and making bleeps and bloops for a minute+. #trufax

For real tho, I always feel like there's hidden stuff all over Draft, but I rarely try to pick apart music in detail anymore and can't place any moments off the top of my head. It may have to do with the techniques they mentioned they used on that album, running off tuned melodies into the reverb chain and such, very good way of hiding sounds and/or making the listener feel like they're hearing shit.

If you keep listening after the end of Drane2 then after a few minutes of silence you'll hear AE invading your brain and making bleeps and bloops for a minute+. #trufax

For real tho, I always feel like there's hidden stuff all over Draft, but I rarely try to pick apart music in detail anymore and can't place any moments off the top of my head. It may have to do with the techniques they mentioned they used on that album, running off tuned melodies into the reverb chain and such, very good way of hiding sounds and/or making the listener feel like they're hearing shit.

So much in fact, for a long time i would discover something new every time i listened to Draft in one sitting. Probably still uneared treasures waiting for me.

Violvoic - I was listening to NTS2 through headphones, which I took off around dummy casual but kept playback going. Got distracted with computer. When violvoic started I thought "hang on, how did my playlist skip to some contemporary classical piece with a solo violin, straight after dummy casual? wtf it's violvoic" The other elements were so inaudible, it had me convinced it was a violin of some sort, and a completely different piece.

So much in fact, for a long time i would discover something new every time i listened to Draft in one sitting. Probably still uneared treasures waiting for me.

Same here, big part of my reasoning why it's their /best/ album. Always something new in it.

First time I ever listened to it my mate had just 1 j worth of this weed that turned out to be mad strong, we smoked it and towards the end of Drane2 the cd started skipping for ages (it was a CDR from a mate), then eventually snapped out of it to play out the very end of the tune. But the cd player kept counting while it skipped so we thought it was intentional. Properly slipped our gears out.

Same here, big part of my reasoning why it's their /best/ album. Always something new in it.

Draft 7.30 is my personal favorite album as well. For me it's the ultimate expression of rhythm, and yet there are plenty of layers, lots of atmosphere, and some pretty tasty melodic components as well. And of course the above mentioned 'hidden' production gems. I think i read in some interview that Draft was largely composed by hand in Digital Performer. Not sure how accurate that is, but I definitely get a sense of firm intentionality to every second of Draft, compared to a relative but slight looseness and variation in later work. This is probably where it gets subjective.

I bought both Amber and Draft on CD from a Virgin Megastore in 2003, when i was just getting into electronic music. At the time, Amber was a lot easier to swallow, and at first i didn't understand the organic, almost wooden, percussion at the forefront of Draft. But after repeated listens, and more than any other recorded musical work I've ever listened to, Draft taught me how to be an active listener, and appreciate structure, complexity, and subtlety in recordings, or showed me what was possible in that regard. And honestly, I'm eternally grateful for it.

for a while i was using some cheap headphones when i listened to my mp3 player in public, and the cable started to wear out. frequency bands would disappear and loads of albums just had a muddy sound, or would even be completely silent. but i specifically remember Draft 7.30 sounding just as good - if not better - because there were so many hidden layers of sound. many of them still sounded like complete tracks, and even these layers had tiny hidden sounds in them (is it even physically possible to hear them in regular play?). it was like unlocking a whole album within an album.

i was really tempted to keep those headphones. in fact, this is making me want to break the songs apart in Audacity. yeah, i'm gonna do that. i have to...

I'm pretty sure I'm mentioned it a few times but the first time I heard Move Of Ten I didn't have the headphone properly plugged in and so was only getting the side channel ... or just some portion of the sound anyway! Sounded wild and full of spectral shenanigans.

All end plays with my mind a lot, after the initia burst of sound and it fades into the distance, I almost hear two separate chords playing at once. However when I go back to pinpoint the moment where I hear this, I’m never able to recapture it. I want to say it happens around 12 or 13 minutes, but I think it may simply just be a phenomena of fully immersing yourself into the piece. Very cool.

All end has Been weirding me out too, falling asleep to it the last few nights. Sometimes it sounds like it's moving fast and slow simultaneously, then it'll get muddled to the point where I feel momentarily deafened, like the sensation just after you've heard a loud sound. Amazing track that really grows on me with each listen.

Yeah the all end/ end of bladelores wall of sound is different every time for me as well. Their 2010s stuff has a lot of really interesting, harmonically rich pad/drone/reverb sounds--that could probably be a topic of it's own.

in fact, this is making me want to break the songs apart in Audacity. yeah, i'm gonna do that. i have to...

find anything interesting?

First time I ever listened to it my mate had just 1 j worth of this weed that turned out to be mad strong, we smoked it and towards the end of Drane2 the cd started skipping for ages (it was a CDR from a mate), then eventually snapped out of it to play out the very end of the tune. But the cd player kept counting while it skipped so we thought it was intentional. Properly slipped our gears out.

lol! this happened to me the first few times I listened to Draft. The cd played fine up until the end but the second half of Reniform Puls skipped like crazy and it took me about 5 listens to realize that the song wasn't supposed to sound like that.

• 4 weeks later...

Just noticed what i think is the sound of people talking super low in the mix (as in possibly not there at all or just something in some overtones of other sounds) around 7-8 minutes into Ipacial Section, after the kicks drop out.

I think that moment in Ipacial Section got mentioned in some other thread here, which is weird bc it's super hard to hear for me. I don't even have much idea of what the "conversation" sounds like, just get a vague feeling when I'm listening that something subliminal is going on...

Untilted does have a lot of really subtle, low-mixed elements doesn't it. Seems like the hyper-pointillistic approach allowed Sam and Rod to go crazy with that kind of detail. Ipacial and the 2nd half of Sublimit especially.

might just be some formant or comb filtering trickery.

That has to be what a lot of this stuff is, especially in recent years.

Just noticed there's one of these "oh shit" moments further into Pen Expers a few days ago as well. Any more on Confield?

Not being a douche but you really only just recognised the voice samples? I thought they were one of the more blatant elements of the track! Sounds like someone in the next room with their TV real loud.

That's actually one of my favourite things about ae. They use tonnes of voice samples but they're so creatively messed with. I know it's not a terribly popular track but deco Loc's voice mashery sounds excellent to me. Love it. It's weird, I don't really like vocals in music so much, but I love it when voices are mashed into the track unrecognisably. Like gonk steady one, that's just loads of voices all chewed up.

^ Exai seems to have a lot of the "formant or comb filtering trickery" variety. Runrepik is also interesting because it seems to use some of those tricks (whatever they actually are)  more blatantly.

Not being a douche but you really only just recognised the voice samples? I thought they were one of the more blatant elements of the track! Sounds like someone in the next room with their TV real loud.

Eh? The part I'm talking about in Pen Expers is just a one-off thing at 4:44. What are you referring to here?

The thing I "just noticed" was in Pen Expers, not that part of Ipacial (I just find it hard to hear tho). But I see you were also insisting that the Ipacial voices are obvious in the other thread where they're brought up...? What's the big deal?

Archived