IGNORED

Auditory hallucination-esque moments in Ae

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

haha, I must be really bad at conveying tone online bc literally everyone on this page has said some variant of "calm down". Sorry guys! I'll leave this thread alone for awhile after this post lol. 5e287f7f.png

^ Yeah, what you've been saying ITT about a lot of apparently "vocal" sounds being the result of formant/fx manipulation is p much what I (for one) inferred from more recent interviews (their talk of preferring to build things up from scratch now rather than 'deconstruct' existing things, of making pseudo-analogue synth sounds in max, etc. seems relevant here)

Another moment that I don't think's been brought up is the middle section of 6IE.CR: some of the sounds in the periphery of the stereo field start to sound like vocal noises (around 2:32 for example). Probably another case of formant trickery I guess?

• 3 months later...

reviving this thread just in case I can get a few more discoveries out of you all... (probably not)

I mentioned voice-like sounds in op but there are a lot of other trippy subtleties in their music. e.g. at the end of ipacial there's increasingly loud white noise on the snare hits as the drone leading into pro radii gradually fades in. makes me think of a room gradually filling with water or something.

there's also some really minor but weird stereo field trickery at 5:03 in cloudline with some sort of impact noise that sounds its in your room. almost seems unintentional (though knowing the boys I'm sure it's not) but it startles me every time.

you can definitely hear someone sneeze multiple times in dummy casual p2. possibly mentioned already but it's FUNNY

Erm.. maybe someone should read back their own posts before they get aggy! :)

:doge:

awooo throughout the middle part of cap.iv, last 15 secs of four of seven are a beautiful melody, spacey pinball sound at 0:18 in d sho qub

also yeah like someone here noted theres loads of detail in perlence subrange 6-36: chatter, sirens, pottery sounds, child voice, metal screeching, buzz sound etc, even had a sheet with timecodes somewhere

• 11 months later...
19 minutes ago, tnvm said:

anyone else hear a voice-like sound (really faint obviously) in the last ~20 seconds of spaces how V?

???

not talking about the sustained sounds btw

• 2 months later...

4:07 in nodezsh

sounds like howling wind

or people shouting from far away (which is what i thought was happening at first)

• 5 months later...
8 minutes ago, Draft78 said:

quite off topic, but yeah:

shepard tone is evident in Dial, but they also used the trick of speed: the finale of the 2005 set, even if it actually accelerates, seems to accelerate much more than it appears: the slow notes of the motif accelerate to reach the speed of those that were fast and, in the meantime, dissolved. In the meantime, new notes are emerging that replace those that were previously slow.

22 minutes ago, Draft78 said:

shepard tone is evident in Dial, but they also used the trick of speed: the finale of the 2005 set, even if it actually accelerates, seems to accelerate much more than it appears: the slow notes of the motif accelerate to reach the speed of those that were fast and, in the meantime, dissolved. In the meantime, new notes are emerging that replace those that were previously slow.

well, no, apparently in all the crescendo at the end of the 2005 set, you can keep the same time and never go wrong

• 1 month later...

In tuinorizn at 3:19 I always think I hear the cartoon boing sound:

This one is not quite what I'm hearing but after a couple dozen "boing sound effect" clips on yt I had to settle on this as the closest to it ?

And I'm hearing cougar screams and growls in 7th Slip - first scream at 2:22 and another at 2:45, with growls/panting in between. 

On 10/7/2020 at 8:35 AM, toaoaoad said:

In tuinorizn at 3:19 I always think I hear the cartoon boing sound:

This one is not quite what I'm hearing but after a couple dozen "boing sound effect" clips on yt I had to settle on this as the closest to it ?

And I'm hearing cougar screams and growls in 7th Slip - first scream at 2:22 and another at 2:45, with growls/panting in between. 

Cannot unhear ?

In AE_LIVE_GRAFENHAINICHEN_170715 at 11:47-11:53 I always hear a cartoon version of  what I think is called a lip wiggle in English, something like when you wiggle your lips with a high pitched 'beep' (can't find a better description for it)

In a lot of AE_LIVE sets, that section also seem to procedure a cat-like meow (eg 13:50-14:04 in KATOWICE)

Archived