IGNORED

Ross From Friends - Family Portrait

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok I gave it a chance and I'm enjoying it :O

I hate when that happens right after I made a snarky comment!!!!

lol. well thats cool you were open to check it out. Once I gave 'Parallel Sequence' a full listen it became a "buy" for me. 

I sort of want to like this but it just doesn’t add up for me. there’s a nice bit of detail in each track which is cool but none of it is remarkable to me, there is practically a complete absence of any specific moment that really struck me where I was like “woah! cool!” It’s all just kind of neat but that’s about it. I also think the production lacks character.

one thing I was thinking of as I listened to it is how meager it seems put up against something like the vegetarian soup remix of prime audio soup. I mention it bc it’s a time full of little flourishes and details, fleeting bits appearing only once at a break, etc which is something this ross from friends shit is doing. but the boc track is oozing with mood, it’s intriguing, it’s unique, the production is rich with detail and sounds both deep and crunchy. those foreboding drones with little melodies floating above them are so ominous and then they break into that incredible vocal melody thing which just makes you feel so uplifted. then those lush pads come in and eventually the totally unexpected sequence at the end completes the journey.

There’s absolutely nothing like that intensity in a single track on this album, there’s no journey, no exploration. it’s just like sounds filling a track — sometimes they’re cool I guess but it amounts to very little imo.

it's not bad i guess but in no way is it house to me. i dont get that at all

His previous EPs on Lobster Theremin and such have been more straight up lo-fi house, this album is on Brainfeeder and it's a bit of a different approach from him.. definitely less houseish

im a big fan. whether or not people like it, i respect the attention and discussion it’s been given.

To be fair, almost all of the discussion has been "lol, stupid name. Memey hipster music. Actually I gave this a listen and it's pretty good. Bought it!"

im a big fan. whether or not people like it, i respect the attention and discussion it’s been given.

To be fair, almost all of the discussion has been "lol, stupid name. Memey hipster music. Actually I gave this a listen and it's pretty good. Bought it!"

i don’t need some self indulgent essay.

people listened to something they had never heard, liked it, then bought.

• 9 months later...

I'm so out of touch am even late to the -  "thought this was just hipster shite with a stupid name, but just listened and its really good" club!

Really loving this album can see me playing this a lot this summer.

I'm so out of touch am even late to the -  "thought this was just hipster shite with a stupid name, but just listened and its really good" club!

1 hour ago, kirm said:

srsly tho, if you want a rough primer, myself and @andihow just did a hipster house themed edition of our podcast

http://shoutengine.com/TheExpNoiseWeirdshitNoveltyShow/hipster-housey-79275

It's been tradition since we started up the podcast to play a hipster house track first. For this one we'd just picked up a 'mystery bundle' of 10x12"s from Lobster Theremin so we thought we might as well do a whole episode revolving around what we got.

Btw this album is ok but the early Ross 12"s are where the gold is at:

https://www.discogs.com/Ross-From-Friends-Youll-Understand/master/1104481

https://www.discogs.com/Ross-From-Friends-Dont-Sleep-There-Are-Snakes-/master/1162104

https://www.discogs.com/Ross-From-Friends-The-Outsiders/master/1228693

https://www.discogs.com/Ross-From-Friends-Champagne/release/11534317

Grab all of these, nefariously or otherwise

missed this the first time around. ross from friends just doesn't attract my attention. but i quite like this. enjoyable. and might need more time to really settle in properly. so yeah, def worth checking out imo

I've fairly familiar with "hipster lo-fi house" - big fan of 100% SILK, L.I.E.S., Opal Tapes. but that mix has some new names and infamliar tracks for me. Way more to Lobster Theremin's catalog than I realized.

• 2 months later...

He announced a new EP today.  You can preorder it on bleep, but no mention of it being limited or anything so probably no huge rush.

Archived