IGNORED

New Aphex Twin advertising in London underground station

nickthefish

Do people not class the extended field day as an album? That was the Syro follow up album for me and a jolly good one it is as well!

i think im in the watmm minority here, but i don't consider it an album.  more like the fuji cassette, a one off collection of tracks.  some great tracks, mind you, but much less developed / worked over than his lp/ep's

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure you are in that much of the minority tbf but do find it odd it doesn't get more love. Its album length and quality for me.

Wonder if it got released officialy on warp with a hype machine behind it, there would have been more recognition for it?

Yeah, I think the fact it was sold in a very limited run at a gig inherently brings it less attention.

Aye but its also on his bleep store..

And I get why it has less attention in the wider world but it also seems to get less respect round here which I find strange

All of you whinging on about it only being an EP... think quality over quantity, and who's to say a full EP won't follow suit...

I'm excited. But a full album is always quality AND quantity. Either way it's fucking awesome we are getting new music. We just got a little overexcited, which is par for course in the Aphex sub forum. 

security-guard-whos-weirded-out-by-u.jpg

Do people not class the extended field day as an album? That was the Syro follow up album for me and a jolly good one it is as well!

Not sure you are in that much of the minority tbf but do find it odd it doesn't get more love. Its album length and quality for me.

Wonder if it got released officialy on warp with a hype machine behind it, there would have been more recognition for it?

Yeah, I think the fact it was sold in a very limited run at a gig inherently brings it less attention.

And I get why it has less attention in the wider world but it also seems to get less respect round here which I find strange

I get what you're saying here and must confess I'm a little guilty for dismissing the London LP myself. I guess the problem is that when it hit the Bleepstore, there was shitload of other stuff released at the same time which took some attention away from it. There was so much goodies to sink into instead of just one release in the spotlight. It has some wicked stuff such as MADMA and T08 dx+1 but to me some parts feel like they were randomish TXX tracks compiled together.

EDIT: forgot to mention T20A ede 44, another wicked track from Field Day LP

Notably, this is the first time I think since DrukQs that the artwork (assuming the advertising artwork will mirror the EP artwork) has something to do (potentially) with the theme of the album - the aphex logo "collapsing" into surfaces...

All of the artworks since DrukQs typically was just richard's photography (The Tuss releases, Analord), or something abstract (SYRO, CCAI, ODS, CHEETAH)

I kinda wish they had done some AR stuff - point your phone at a QR code on the wall, and the collapsing Aphex logo would appear on whatever surface...

Notably, this is the first time I think since DrukQs that the artwork has something to do (potentially) with the theme of the album

or something abstract (CHEETAH)

Cheetah art wasn't abstract though, it's a direct reference to some of the hardware used to make the tunes

Notably, this is the first time I think since DrukQs that the artwork has something to do (potentially) with the theme of the album

or something abstract (CHEETAH)

Cheetah art wasn't abstract though, it's a direct reference to some of the hardware used to make the tunes

True; they emulated the original Cheetah advertising artwork. Good point.

True - I suppose there are plenty of people who are still hugely into physicals, though. I know I'd end up listening to it a lot more if I had a copy of the LP.

got meself a little excited when i tripped across this new 24hr Club in London opening on Aug 18th  called Fold. cool looking club but no dice. 

https://www.residentadvisor.net/club.aspx?id=155399

Yep, looking to visit this place at some point, looks decent as long as the authorities allow it to stay open.

Not sure what this has to do with the new 'phex EP though :cisfor:

True - I suppose there are plenty of people who are still hugely into physicals, though. I know I'd end up listening to it a lot more if I had a copy of the LP.

I've got one, never opened it :^)

Yep, looking to visit this place at some point, looks decent as long as the authorities allow it to stay open.

This place ? It looks like a manky looking factory in the middle of a dodgy industrial estate - https://goo.gl/maps/T9dnUFbndyG2

Definitely wouldn't want to end up walking home from there in the middle of the night - not sure how it's an 'organically built venue' as the description reads on that site !

I've got one, never opened it :^)

I'll give you a fiver for it.

I think it is an album. It's not a "flagship" album though, it's a side album that has tracks that normally wouldn't hit a large distribution release. I think that makes it even more special for real fans compared to a casual listener. This EP to me seems like a big one. Each track is near 6 minutes long, we already know 2 of them are going to be slamming singles. This is like the come to daddy or windowlicker of this era. Not a ton on it, but quality and awesome NEW tracks (these are probably recorded around 2015-2016 I reckon). Maybe one or two of these tracks will end up on an LP in the winter, if he has more tracks that sound like this (or maybe an alternate mix of them will). Or maybe we'll just keep getting EPs, which I personally like. I don't think richard should release a new full length unless he actually has a full release's worth of similarly mixed tracks of a certain polish that flow together as an album. I'm guessing he doesn't have a lot more tracks that sound like this set, which is why it's an EP. Syro was an exception to this rule, but that album was about showing up for fans with the material they were wishing for, plus a few new tracks that fit the bill. If he does has a full length on the way, then this EP was probably ready some time ago, waiting on weirdcore to finish the video, and then waiting on warp to find the right time for release. Or maybe there are no new LPs coming any time soon. That's fine, I think we're lucky to be getting so much damn material outside of LPs.

Archived