New Aphex Twin advertising in London underground station

My hype boaner is a little less chubbed now, was really feeling ready for an album. 4 years since Syro seems like a good interval.

Seems like a huge interval.

1992: SAW85-92

1993: SOSW

1994: SAWII, AB3

1995: ICBYD

1996: RDJ Album

1997: Come to Daddy

Not to mention 21 other EPs and singles in that period - some of which were compiled to make Classics and Compilation, effectively two more albums - not to mention the Caustic Window LP which was scrapped because he'd already moved on past it, sound-wise. It seems mad how slowly things work in the industry these days. I know more money comes from touring now, hence the bigger gaps and need to hype up every album as a 'comeback', but for an artist like Aphex I can't see that being so important. Syro feels like an age ago to me.

Ermmm....

2015 - Soundcloud dump

2015 - ODS

2016 - Cheetah

2017 - Field Day Lp

2017 - Extra bleep store goodies

2018 - Collapse EP

What ? CCAI2 and Marchrom aren't good enough for ya ?

:) thought I would miss something! But that just adds to my point.. loads of stuff out since Syro. He has been as prolific last few years as he ever was in the 90's

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be honest I’m not complaining, This ep is great news, I just find the promo a little bit over the top ? Can’t wait to hear it !!!

Edited by D4M0

Someone make a virgin vs chad meme with autechre & aphex. Casually announcing then releasing 8hrs of new music vs worldwide hype building poster campaign for 5 track ep.

I can't decide which would be which though.

Guest Chesney

Yeah, the promo sums don't seem to tally up. I'm pretty sure that the subway posters didn't cost 63k or whatever and no idea what the US posters cost to advertise but the Shutter wrap would have cost 1.5-2k to print and fit aside from paying to have it there. Aphex is still niche even though he's niche royalty. Pretty sure Warp would havbe gotten some deals here and there as a record store would love to be involved in the hype I imagine so I bet the promo is not as much as it would be if a normal advertiser wanted the space.

My hype boaner is a little less chubbed now, was really feeling ready for an album. 4 years since Syro seems like a good interval.

Seems like a huge interval.

1992: SAW85-92

1993: SOSW

1994: SAWII, AB3

1995: ICBYD

1996: RDJ Album

1997: Come to Daddy

Not to mention 21 other EPs and singles in that period - some of which were compiled to make Classics and Compilation, effectively two more albums - not to mention the Caustic Window LP which was scrapped because he'd already moved on past it, sound-wise. It seems mad how slowly things work in the industry these days. I know more money comes from touring now, hence the bigger gaps and need to hype up every album as a 'comeback', but for an artist like Aphex I can't see that being so important. Syro feels like an age ago to me.

Ermmm....

2015 - Soundcloud dump

2015 - ODS

2016 - Cheetah

2017 - Field Day Lp

2017 - Extra bleep store goodies

2018 - Collapse EP

Throwing in Compilation and Classics, plus On, Ventolin and HAB which, although split over multiple formats, brought together an album's length of material each, he put out 12 album-like releases 1992-1997, plus Power Pill, GAK, two Bradley Striders, Donkey Rhubarb, Girl/Boy, Quoth, AB4, and the Universal Indictors. Recently we've had Syro, CCAI2, ODS, Cheetah, and now Collapse. Four EPs and one album. And yeah, there have been limited live things and archived tracks uploaded, which obviously mean the amount of unheard material in recent years is still pretty staggering. I'm not denying we've had a ton of new stuff to listen to, and I'm not complaining at all. I've still barely scratched the surface of the SoundCloud dump myself.

But it still seems like a bloody age since we just had a straight-up album from him. A solid 50+ minutes of new tunes. Which was my original point, I suppose: four years since Syro feels like a long time. 

Do people not class the extended field day as an album? That was the Syro follow up album for me and a jolly good one it is as well!

Do people not class the extended field day as an album? That was the Syro follow up album for me and a jolly good one it is as well!

Apparently not.

i think im in the watmm minority here, but i don't consider it an album.  more like the fuji cassette, a one off collection of tracks.  some great tracks, mind you, but much less developed / worked over than his lp/ep's

Not sure you are in that much of the minority tbf but do find it odd it doesn't get more love. Its album length and quality for me.

Wonder if it got released officialy on warp with a hype machine behind it, there would have been more recognition for it?

All of you whinging on about it only being an EP... think quality over quantity, and who's to say a full EP won't follow suit...

All of you whinging on about it only being an EP... think quality over quantity, and who's to say a full EP won't follow suit...

SMOJPHACE PART 2 !

Yeah, I think the fact it was sold in a very limited run at a gig inherently brings it less attention.

Aye but its also on his bleep store..

And I get why it has less attention in the wider world but it also seems to get less respect round here which I find strange

That’s the spirit papa !

Hoof it !!!!

I'm excited. But a full album is always quality AND quantity. Either way it's fucking awesome we are getting new music. We just got a little overexcited, which is par for course in the Aphex sub forum. 

security-guard-whos-weirded-out-by-u.jpg

Not sure you are in that much of the minority tbf but do find it odd it doesn't get more love. Its album length and quality for me.

Wonder if it got released officialy on warp with a hype machine behind it, there would have been more recognition for it?

Yeah, I think the fact it was sold in a very limited run at a gig inherently brings it less attention.

Aye but its also on his bleep store..

And I get why it has less attention in the wider world but it also seems to get less respect round here which I find strange

I get what you're saying here and must confess I'm a little guilty for dismissing the London LP myself. I guess the problem is that when it hit the Bleepstore, there was shitload of other stuff released at the same time which took some attention away from it. There was so much goodies to sink into instead of just one release in the spotlight. It has some wicked stuff such as MADMA and T08 dx+1 but to me some parts feel like they were randomish TXX tracks compiled together.

EDIT: forgot to mention T20A ede 44, another wicked track from Field Day LP

Edited by Grumpy Old Daddy

Notably, this is the first time I think since DrukQs that the artwork (assuming the advertising artwork will mirror the EP artwork) has something to do (potentially) with the theme of the album - the aphex logo "collapsing" into surfaces...

All of the artworks since DrukQs typically was just richard's photography (The Tuss releases, Analord), or something abstract (SYRO, CCAI, ODS, CHEETAH)

I kinda wish they had done some AR stuff - point your phone at a QR code on the wall, and the collapsing Aphex logo would appear on whatever surface...