IGNORED

Rhubarb

drukqs

Is it the chords? What is the time signature? Why is it so hard to place any of the synths/instruments? It just sounds otherworldly but painfullly familiar as well. Just what are birds?

Aphex Twin has no song named "Rhubarb" other than "Donkey Rhubarb" from the EP of the same name.

Now, if you're referring to #3, yes it's a great song :dadjoke:

It's a great song and all but I've never really understood the massive hype it gets. Never gave me the magical goosebumps making me to realize it's the most beautiful piece of music ever written. Again, it's a great tune but I'm much more into Stone In Focus and Lichen (now, that's a beautiful song).

Translation for pedant people:

In my opinion track #3/A3 (both from UK Vinyl and Cassette) / CD1-03 from Aphex Twin's Selected Ambient Works Volume II is great but I really like more E2 from the 1994 UK vinyl version / C7 from the cassette version / #19 from the AFX bleepstore. Also dig track #21 (bleepstore)/ #20 streaming /E4 Vinyl / D2 tape / CD2-8, and in case one wants to use a direct, incremental order for the tracks on CD's too, I'm talking about #20 from Warp's 2CD version or #19 if it's a Sire 2CD version (note: not to be mistaken for equivalents from the bleepstore and streaming services which I mentioned above!!!).

Yes, much clearer than using some fanboy titles. Yes, I have too much time.

:dadjoke:

It's a great song and all but I've never really understood the massive hype it gets. Never gave me the magical goosebumps making me to realize it's the most beautiful piece of music ever written. Again, it's a great tune but I'm much more into Stone In Focus and Lichen (now, that's a beautiful song).

In my opinion track #3/A3 (both from UK Vinyl and Cassette) / CD1-03 from Aphex Twin's Selected Ambient Works Volume II is great but I really like more E2 from the 1994 UK vinyl version / C7 from the cassette version / #19 from the AFX bleepstore. Also dig track #21 (bleepstore)/ #20 streaming /E4 Vinyl / D2 tape / CD2-8, and in case one wants to use a direct, incremental order for the tracks on CD's too, I'm talking about #20 from Warp's 2CD version or #19 if it's a Sire 2CD version (note: not to be mistaken for equivalents from the bleepstore and streaming services which I mentioned above!!!).

I doff my cap to you, sir!

Aphex Twin has no song named "Rhubarb" other than "Donkey Rhubarb" from the EP of the same name.

Ya forgot Rhubarb Orc. 19.53 Rev

It's good but it's no Lichen, it's just more memorable because most people probably heard it first, what with it being the first track. But yes, very very good never-the-less. 

It's good but it's no Lichen, it's just more memorable because most people probably heard it first, what with it being the first track. But yes, very very good never-the-less. 

It's not the first track you knob, and it's just as good as Lichen. Drunk asshole. 

It's not the first track you knob, and it's just as good as Lichen. Drunk asshole.

lol

This is like reading myself from ten years ago.

lol

Ya forgot Rhubarb Orc. 19.53 Rev

???

Rhubarb is still as magical today as it always was in my opinion.

All of SAW II still blows me away.

My favourite album ever and RDJ’s absolute high water mark I reckon.

it's certainly one I can't live without.

I tried to use it to calm my cat in the car en route to the vet one day. any time I play it now she runs and hides under the bed. I kid you not this was in like 2014/5 and she still does it as of last week.

who knew something so peaceful could be so frightening?

Lichen all the way!

What is the time signature?

This is a really interesting question.  It took a good few minutes to figure out, but I believe [Rhubarb] is 112.8 BPM, with the first section (mostly lower frequency) being 4 21/32 bars long, and the second section (with the higher frequency instrument joining in) being 4 31/32 bars long.

I think in this era, James often did quite simple things that seem more elaborate than they are.  For example, in On, the 3/16th length pentatonic piano notes are about as simple as it gets.  Once delayed at 1/8th length, though, they sound complex.  Similarly, in [Rhubarb], the notes are all eighths or multiples thereof, all starting right on the beat.  It's just the arbitrary length of the loop's last bar that makes it sound complex and elusive.

Do we know which sequencer he used on the Atari ST back in the day?  Could you shorten the length of particular bars?  I think that's what he did, until it sounded right, by ear... which was a different amount for each part.

I guess the takehome message here is to try out those esoteric features your tools have.

Why is it so hard to place any of the synths/instruments?

Partially, at least, because the music's playing at about half speed.  I think there's an oboe (sample) in there, for instance.

Just what are birds?

We simply don't know.

Archived