IGNORED

Rhubarb

drukqs

I remember when you posted this, really changed my perspective on the double rainbow guy. You mentioned something about buddhism and pure joy or something. Anyway I went from finding the video funny to outright beautiful. 

It's a great song and all but I've never really understood the massive hype it gets. Never gave me the magical goosebumps making me to realize it's the most beautiful piece of music ever written. Again, it's a great tune but I'm much more into Stone In Focus and Lichen (now, that's a beautiful song).

Translation for pedant people:

In my opinion track #3/A3 (both from UK Vinyl and Cassette) / CD1-03 from Aphex Twin's Selected Ambient Works Volume II is great but I really like more E2 from the 1994 UK vinyl version / C7 from the cassette version / #19 from the AFX bleepstore. Also dig track #21 (bleepstore)/ #20 streaming /E4 Vinyl / D2 tape / CD2-8, and in case one wants to use a direct, incremental order for the tracks on CD's too, I'm talking about #20 from Warp's 2CD version or #19 if it's a Sire 2CD version (note: not to be mistaken for equivalents from the bleepstore and streaming services which I mentioned above!!!).

Yes, much clearer than using some fanboy titles. Yes, I have too much time.

:dadjoke:

10 years ago and I would have said Stone In Focus, no question. But over the years Rhubarb has become far, far more cathartic and evocative to me. I think back to when I loved Stone In Focus and realize a lot of the imagery and feelings I had, while genuine, were in this context of imaging myself somewhere else. It was also back when I was more indoors, more insular, slept weird hours, etc.

Stone In Focus had this alien vibe to it - like picturing myself on some distant planet. This video did not help. It's gorgeous nonetheless but in a more abstract manner. Even then I think it's outdone by some tracks from peers of the era, Autechre's VLetrmx21 in particular.

Rhubarb has something far more familiar and reflective in it's vibe, it harkens very real memories of time spent offline and in a state of contemplation - on a porch in a cabin in the woods in the evening or the feeling you have when you're watching the sunrise by yourself after a weekend of partying. I suppose a lot of it is just getting older and it's coupled with the changes I've had in terms of music taste as well as expansion of what I've listened to. Rhubarb could very easily transition into a Washed Out song or out of a Jefre-Cantu Ledesma piece.

Nice little cover:

Also, On(28 Mix) has become one of my fave AFX ambient tracks. Always when I give SAW II a listen it peeps around the corner whispering "psst, I belong here too". Yes, Rhubarb has that roots deep in the soil, cabin in the woods feeling. On mix for one has more this hazy foggy feeling which I like. Actually when thinking about it, Quino-Phec has that same atmosphere too.

Also, On(28 Mix) has become one of my fave AFX ambient tracks. Always when I give SAW II a listen it peeps around the corner whispering "psst, I belong here too". Yes, Rhubarb has that roots deep in the soil, cabin in the woods feeling. On mix for one has more this hazy foggy feeling which I like. Actually when thinking about it, Quino-Phec has that same atmosphere too.

It's been heavily rumoured that On (28 mix) would have been track #28 on SAW II...

It's been heavily rumoured that On (28 mix) would have been track #28 on SAW II...

Hence the whispering :wink:

Archived