IGNORED

Tim Hecker - Konoyo

"This self-awareness is timely, of a piece with the social tides that rightfully demand the voices of white men need not be the only or loudest ones in the room. Konoyo’s other musicians are either Japanese gagaku experts or classically trained women with their own compelling experimental visions, Kara-Lis Coverdale and Mariel Roberts. For this Konoyo receives additional 0.6 points in the final score."

-bnm.com

holy shit lmao. apparently all music was made by white men before 2017

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"This self-awareness is timely, of a piece with the social tides that rightfully demand the voices of white men need not be the only or loudest ones in the room. Konoyo’s other musicians are either Japanese gagaku experts or classically trained women with their own compelling experimental visions, Kara-Lis Coverdale and Mariel Roberts. For this Konoyo receives additional 0.6 points in the final score."

-bnm.com

This is the most embarrassing thing I've ever read

-bnm.com

ok but either you added that last line or they edited it because i can't find it in the pfork review

This life is one of my favorite things Tim Hecker has released in a while. The album gets looser and looser as it goes on, I thought. Did enjoy my first listen a lot though. Will have to give it a few more listens before I can compare it to the rest of his stuff.

• 3 weeks later...

Sounds like he took the worst track on Virgins (Incense at Abu Ghraib) and extended it. It was somewhat okay though... Not too hopeful, but not going to pass judgment based on one track.

This is better upon multiple listens. Whole album is pretty good. That last track has a weird section I'm not getting yet but the rest of the album is better each time I listen to it.

Tim Hecker is the worst part of this. There are some fantastic, fresh-sounding percussive sounds and brilliant timbres... but there's Tim, again, with the same old grainy washes of sound... 'emergency' / 'this is serious' tonality. It's still a nutra-sweet Tim Hecker washout, just like Ravedeath, with those constant blankets of sound wash. Keyed Out is fantastic. I wish he'd work with more acoustic sounds, less 'ambient' sound washes / tonal noise.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

How did I only listen to it now? In Mother Earth Phase is contender for track of the year for me. Whole albums is such a trip, coherent and samesy yet branching off in terms of sound enough times to stay entertaining. Eerie and calming at the same time. Whew, my favourite Hecker for sure!

• 1 year later...

did anyone see his live show around this album or Anoyo?  wondering what i missed out on when i skipped mutek mx last year.

ive listened through this album a few times over the last week.. really solid.  maybe his strongest album for me

2 hours ago, markedone said:

did anyone see his live show around this album or Anoyo?  wondering what i missed out on when i skipped mutek mx last year.

I saw him on the album tour in 2018 with Kara Lis-Coverdale.  Both were disappointing.  Half way through I felt compelled to apologise to the person I had invited.  I don't particularly like Konoyo, though, so you might have felt differently.  I can't remember if it was this gig at the Barbican, but a fight broke out around us.  If you don't know the Barbican, a fight is just about the most incongruous thing that could happen.  If it was this gig, the fight was definitely the highlight.

16 minutes ago, kakapo said:

I saw him on the album tour in 2018 with Kara Lis-Coverdale.  Both were disappointing.  Half way through I felt compelled to apologise to the person I had invited.  I don't particularly like Konoyo, though, so you might have felt differently.  I can't remember if it was this gig at the Barbican, but a fight broke out around us.  If you don't know the Barbican, a fight is just about the most incongruous thing that could happen.  If it was this gig, the fight was definitely the highlight.

lol, now im picturing a glacially paced ambient mosh pit

I was mostly wondering about the 'Konoyo Ensamble' shows where they played stuff live (as opposed to yours which sounds likes just laptop?).  Fwiw, i personally really enjoyed kara lis cloverdale's solo live show, so maybe its just different strokes.

Anyway, it looks like some of the 'ensamble' shows are online so ill just listen to one

No it was one of the shows with the ensemble.  I was really looking forward to it, but just didn't hit the spot.  Nothing against Tim or Kara, I love some of their stuff (grafts has just had an expanded re-issue, see Boomkat).  At one point I started imagining it would be more entertaining if the ensemble stretched Tim Hecker's flacid penis to a wooden pole and played it like a shamisen.  Would have been less surprising than the fight.  He also had an outrageous mullet, somewhat similar to Eno's Roxy Music era one, which quite frankly was distracting for the entire gig       

2 hours ago, kakapo said:

At one point I started imagining it would be more entertaining if the ensemble stretched Tim Hecker's flacid penis to a wooden pole and played it like a shamisen

flol

The Brussels gig for Konoyo was one of the highlights of the year for me, trance-inducing. After that the album left me a bit cold and disinterested.

Archived