03 “Is A Rose Petal Of The Dying Crimson Light”

04 “Keyed Out”

05 “In Mother Earth Phase”

06 “A Sodium Codec Haze”

07 “Across to Anoyo”

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like he took the worst track on Virgins (Incense at Abu Ghraib) and extended it. It was somewhat okay though... Not too hopeful, but not going to pass judgment based on one track.

I'm a casual fan of his work, i have yet to take a deep dive in to his catalogue. I think there are some really interesting sounds in 'this life'. Sounds quite a bit like Arca to me.

rly like this, only listened to rave death and thought it was ace, ne1 got suggestions on where to go next/good ones to start with? i mean im probs gunna listen to the whole of his discog anyway so doesnt really matter too much but...

rly like this, only listened to rave death and thought it was ace, ne1 got suggestions on where to go next/good ones to start with? i mean im probs gunna listen to the whole of his discog anyway so doesnt really matter too much but...

start with haunt me and watch him run out of ideas five albums into his career

start with haunt me and watch him run out of ideas five albums into his career

haha this so much. it’s kind of amazing really.

radio amor and ultraviolet are such beautiful peaks tho

i remember back in the days of aol instant messaging enter a new display name sent me a zip of haunt me and i listened and thought it was pretty good and he was like it's a masterpiece...you have to be from montreal to understand it...

haunt me is really good, i genuinely think his first four records are great (mirages maybe less so). these are all great tracks from those:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3iQ6n-ysyE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ted375-y7v4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqR1AVs18vI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VDcmE4OCmQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kylVMu4ja0M

this is maybe the last tim hecker track i liked, off of one of the pop ambient albums

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTURBvSm6w4

an imaginary country is where he started to lose me, and then incorporating all kinds of live instrumentation into this sort of ambient church music got old very fast. i think he's been remaking harmony in ultraviolet for ten years, just with more and more layers of noise. radio amor sounds like a completely different artist to me. 

as the above is continuation of the conversation from the love streams thread > i still disagree with the watmm haters RE his post-harmony output.  to me, imaginary country was probably the only album that was treading water in terms of ideas, and the last 4 have been truly great albums

since ravedeath there has been a new exploration of incorporating the textures of instruments in physical space, its not just more layers of noise, and imo, its been very rich territory to explore sonically, with each album sounding a bit different.

people in the other thread also dogged on the songwriting being overly serious, but i dont understand what you expect from instrumental music; I really enjoy it for example in its stripped back state (ie. the Dropped pianos record).

im psyched for the new record

doesn't matter where you start, he hasn't changed his style dramatically over the years. I would go from new to old

Absolutely this - Do it this way round and he'll be an artist that sounds more and more interesting with every release.

I thought it was "Kokomo" for a split second and thought "oh man, digitally processed ambient dronescapes created from samples of the Beach Boys' infamously divisive 1988 single" but it's not.

Sounds interesting, not mind-blowing though. He's back on Kranky which is probably a good thing. 

I imagine all his live orchestral takes actually going terribly, and he just edits and loops 5% of it. But the pretext of it being a “great work” really multiplies sales.

Man, listening to the op track...

That bassline ruins the chord structure. I hate it when people do that. You have a nice, floaty framework, but you make it stupidly obvious with a minor triad like that. Sounds like he is trying to soundtrack stranger things.

There is a way to play diatonic music, but to make it feel so open and limitless, by what you leave out, and the textures you use. Hecker used to be so good at that. But ever since ravedeath his chord structures often sound like something an emo teenager is playing on a piano in guitar center.

I still love Tim hecker but definitely struggle with his latter catalogue. Some really beautiful moments in the second half of rave death, and I had a good period of time where I had the virgins cd in my car.

i hate his look. his wet drip west coast canada look.

i hate his fans. the people who say to me yeah 'i was trying to book tim hecker a few years back' when im just buying a seefeel album. the people who say 'oh god i love tim hecker' when electronic music comes up at a party. i guess they're less fans more hipster parrots who've learned a few things to say and for some reason lost on me tim hecker became one of them.

Yeah, it’s hard to keep liking something when a weak pseudo academic framework emerges around it and starts to hold it up on their pedestal, and even harder when the artist seems to eat it up.

Archived