IGNORED

Tim Hecker - Konoyo

Sounds like he took the worst track on Virgins (Incense at Abu Ghraib) and extended it. It was somewhat okay though... Not too hopeful, but not going to pass judgment based on one track.

I didn't like Virgins at all, if that is the case for the album this one is gonna be pretty disappointing.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i hate his look. his wet drip west coast canada look.

i hate his fans. the people who say to me yeah 'i was trying to book tim hecker a few years back' when im just buying a seefeel album. the people who say 'oh god i love tim hecker' when electronic music comes up at a party. i guess they're less fans more hipster parrots who've learned a few things to say and for some reason lost on me tim hecker became one of them.

I used to work at a bookstore in Chicago and one time this couple came in just as I was closing so I proposed I lock the door, open some wine and play music while they shopped. I put on ultraviolet and then the dude, from nyc, told me tim hecker was his favorite artist. he explained that he was a visual artist himself and he was trying to book tim for an “art” crowd bc he thought they would really get it more than a music crowd. I think he bought a walter benjamin book and I drank like 3 glasses of wine to their 1.

i hate his fans. the people who say to me yeah 'i was trying to book tim hecker a few years back' when im just buying a seefeel album. the people who say 'oh god i love tim hecker' when electronic music comes up at a party. i guess they're less fans more hipster parrots who've learned a few things to say and for some reason lost on me tim hecker became one of them.

I used to work at a bookstore in Chicago and one time this couple came in just as I was closing so I proposed I lock the door, open some wine and play music while they shopped. I put on ultraviolet and then the dude, from nyc, told me tim hecker was his favorite artist. he explained that he was a visual artist himself and he was trying to book tim for an “art” crowd bc he thought they would really get it more than a music crowd. I think he bought a walter benjamin book and I drank like 3 glasses of wine to their 1.

I was in a bookstore in Marfa, TX and noticed they had drone ambient playing off the PAs but at a fairly low volume. Went up to ask what they were playing, figuring it might be something interesting like a resident artist at the nearby Chinati museum. 

It was Tim Hecker. 

lol

I was in a bookstore in Marfa, TX and noticed they had drone ambient playing off the PAs but at a fairly low volume. Went up to ask what they were playing, figuring it might be something interesting like a resident artist at the nearby Chinati museum. 

It was Tim Hecker.

I used to work as a bookstore costumer in Walla Walla, Washington. They were only selling one book. Rows and rows of one book. It was about cleaning your room, comparing human made hierarchies to lobsters, and making vague statements without taking a clear stance so you can easily dismiss people if they interpret your incoherent ramblings as anything negative and make them look like numpties to your entourage. One day there were lots of people in the store because the author of the book was signing autographs that day. I went outside to join the long line because I'm easy like that. In the end there was a guy behind a register, he said "that will be $70 pls". So I paid and he handed me a ticket. Turns out I was waiting in the wrong line and bought a ticket for a Tim Hecker concert. I decided to go to the gig because I'm easy like that. Now, get this, right? This was so fucking typical. At the gig, guy comes up with a laptop. Says "Hello, I'm Tim Hecker", starts playing music. Do you know what he starts fucking playing?

It was Tim Hecker.

yo i get the fanfic but some of the comments here are legit hate-train

dlo i know youre half joking but, really, 'his look'?  i feel like watmm would call out such a remark in any other new and upcoming releases thread but this one.  also wtf 'pseudo academic framework' are you all on about.. he called a track up red bull creek ffs, and compared to other artists, hardly does the press/interview junket

dlo i know youre half joking but, really, 'his look'?  i feel like watmm would call out such a remark in any other new and upcoming releases thread but this one.  also wtf 'pseudo academic framework' are you all on about.. he called a track up red bull creek ffs, and compared to other artists, hardly does the press/interview junket

shit like this

TIM%20HECKER%202018.jpeg

maxresdefault.jpg

I saw Tim Hecker at a grocery store in Los Angeles once. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.

He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?”

I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.

The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.

When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.

re alco: afaik he never promoted his own work as such?  people in interviews asked around it but thats because interviewers are always starved for content, like the recent opn where he was forced to answer questions about that curvy airbnb in every interview, lol

the paper was also just on the history / pursuit of loud sound which is no more relevant to ravedeath than to harmony

re: d lo, what shit?  someone on watmm coudl just as easily post a taking the piss 'im in nature' photo.  the press ask for that shit and he probably doesnt take it very seriously. and the second is a musician being invited to some event to talk about music?

I still like it, marked1, but I feel a lot of people only listen to him now that the liner notes of every album from ravedeath onward mention his PhD.

Why is it so hard for people to understand that it’s difficult to continue enjoying an artist after a huge demographic of dumdums starts liking them?

shit like this

TIM%20HECKER%202018.jpeg

maxresdefault.jpg

lol

in the Manc show before his set he was wandering around the crowd in a silk headscarf

shit like this

TIM%20HECKER%202018.jpeg

maxresdefault.jpg

emoji-head-guy.jpg

In all sincerity I always feel weird when I post something snarky b/c usually it's some one-off thing and I'm neutral about the artist, including Hecker, whereas overall but in context I feel like it gets lumped into some barrage of WATMM razzin' and diluted haterade.

Why is it so hard for people to understand that it’s difficult to continue enjoying an artist after a huge demographic of dumdums starts liking them?

Because lately people like to say it's gatekeeping or elitist or some shit. I dunno, I'm increasingly less cynical and bitchy but I won't hold back calling out stuff as overhyped or overrated when I know such artists have overlooked peers doing better stuff.

Also this thread reminds me I need to still post that bizarre Tycho live show story.

Tim getting a major kicking!

Well he obviously has an army of ardent fans on Rate Your Music (which on the whole the scores I generally agree with). Pretty much as soon as I signed up on Spotify I listened to a handful of his albums multiple times. Yeah those super high scores and reviews are a mystery to me! 

Maybe you do have to go to Montreal.

I'm not sure I'd ever seen a picture of THECKER before dlo posted them. He's on that TSTEWART/WBASINSKI/BENO/MPARADINAS bend of fashionable electronic peeps. Whatever, a little chuckle worthy perhaps, but who fucking cares. People don't shouldn't give two fucks what you look like if your music is good.

i think It’s weird that critical commentary on a music forum is so frequently labeled “snarky.”

imo it’s great to read biting commentary, keeps us on our toes and for those who agree it’s a nice relief to vibe with other people. i’ve learned just as much from negative appraisals here as i have from the positive. it feels weird to even have to point this out.

why do you guys even care when you can instead not care

0:51 - http://www.bravotv.com/the-real-housewives-of-new-york-city/season-7/videos/dont-be-all-like-uncool

Can't access it from my location. Is it some adroit response to what I said?

i think It’s weird that critical commentary on a music forum is so frequently labeled “snarky.”

imo it’s great to read biting commentary, keeps us on our toes and for those who agree it’s a nice relief to vibe with other people. i’ve learned just as much from negative appraisals here as i have from the positive. it feels weird to even have to point this out.

Sure, but you can comment biting commentary bitingly.

why do you guys even care when you can instead not care

0:51 - http://www.bravotv.com/the-real-housewives-of-new-york-city/season-7/videos/dont-be-all-like-uncool

Can't access it from my location. Is it some adroit response to what I said?

it's a dumb quote from a Bravo tv show that had the same vibe and I couldn't find it on YT

here's a gif of it

rs_500x281-150427142258-tumblr_nkll8fiWr

Archived