IGNORED

Korg app sale!!!

TheBro

Korg have a software sale on including pretty much 50% off IOS Apps. Spoilt for choice but I'm kinda itching for the Korg iWavestation or iM1. What do you folks think?

They're both great (having the touchscreen editing capabilities for Wavestation is lovely). If you want all the classic Rompler greatness of the M1, iM1 won't disappoint (Seinfeld bass!). 

iMonoPoly is another incredible app from Korg. Never played an original but man if the x-mod features on the app are on the same as the hardware, I can see why it's championed as it is. If there was any Korg synth app I'd recommend to start with, it's either this or ODYSSEi. That app makes me want the tabletop Odyssey reissue, bad.

Actually, I've never played any of the original Korg synths that the apps are modeled after (not even an MS20). But yeah, have all their apps (save the Gorillaz Electribe). Love them all to some degree (the mod functions and drum synth on iPolySix are great). The MIDI implementation on a lot of these apps suck though (save for iMonoPoly, they really got that one right).

edit:  And oh yeah, Gadget. Gadget's really fun (although expensive once you start getting into the IAP's) and useful to get sketches done. But it doesn't play well enough with the rest of the iOS ecosystem for me to go to it often. Really love the Chiang Mai bell synth on it though. Really easy to get great patches outta that (although the Iceworks Mersenne app later beat it at its own game, imo).

One last thing, Module is probably my highest recommended piano/electric piano app. Sounds solid, isn't as nasty a footprint as some of its competitors, and its IAA integration is solid (doesn't crash).

Ha ha cheers I'm just lost for what to choose lol. I got £15 to spend but I want to spend it wisely.

Either iWavestation or iMonoPoly would be my recommendations. Fair warning though, iWavestation requires a lot more effort if you're making your own patches (both are rewarding from a sound design perspective, but imo most synths are).

Cool thanks. I've been looking at all the Apps and they all sound great lol. Even the iMS20 sounds sick!!!

wish the switch game was on sale

Nintendo take the mick with their prices to be honest lol.

I got Gadget for long train rides. Fun to sketch up some riffs and beats, then export to audio/MIDI via Dropbox and continue in Ableton.

I got Gadget for long train rides. Fun to sketch up some riffs and beats, then export to audio/MIDI via Dropbox and continue in Ableton.

Nice. I've just come up with some sick chords using the ARP OYDESSEi. Just wish I didn't suck so much at basslines!! :-(

You can't load patches from these onto actual hardware, correct?  It would be nice if you could program patches in the software and then load the finished patch onto hardware.

Moot point unless there are Android version, since I don't have any Apple stuff except an old Macbook from 2006.

Actually, looking at the iWavestation it doesn't look like that big a UI improvement over the old Soundtower editor I use for the Wavestation SR already.

I bet it sounds good.  The Wavestation is a really cool sounding instrument, even today.

EDIT:

Just to be pedantic, this is where the original Seinfeld bass came from originally, it's actually a sample of a P-bass played with a pick IIRC.  I think later seasons used a Korg or something for incidental music, but the original theme was the Midibass all the way.

midi-bass.jpg

Just to be pedantic, this is where the original Seinfeld bass came from originally, it's actually a sample of a P-bass played with a pick IIRC.  I think later seasons used a Korg or something for incidental music, but the original theme was the Midibass all the way.

Sure enough, you're right! It's wild how close the M1 slap bass preset sounds! I just always assumed it was the same.

Archived