IGNORED

Visualization of Aphex Twin letter preference

lextreefrog

Anyone else make dumb stuff like this?  Used Josiah Parry's R package geniusR to retrieve song titles from rapgenius.  Dictionary letter distribution from Wikipedia.

I spent a lot of time trying to find a (freely available) font that looks like Syro to no avail, if anyone can recommend a better font that'd be appreciated. 

11m6wbr.jpg

First, you'll want to make sure that your computer is on. Then you'll want to find the nearest window and chuck it out of it.

How come there's so many instances of q? I can't think of a single song title with a q in it.

Where's the symbols from track 2 of Windowlicker?

Shouldn't the letters in 'aphex twin' (or 'the aphex twin') be over-represented given how many song titles he did as anagrams of those? In fact w is the least common according to you. Hm.

Why no submission to legitimate and peer-reviewed song name letter preference journals?

Most common vowel is u? In thousands of instances of hundreds of years of electronic music artists song titles letter dissection, this has never once happened. Show your proof.

No numbers. Numbers are very much required as part of song title collection as per the international rules ratified at the Berlin Accord of 1965, you should be aware of this.

I'm starting to question the legitimacy of this very important research. I suggest everyone remove this from their database until further research can be done into it.

How come there's so many instances of q? I can't think of a single song title with a q in it.

Where's the symbols from track 2 of Windowlicker?

Shouldn't the letters in 'aphex twin' (or 'the aphex twin') be over-represented given how many song titles he did as anagrams of those? In fact w is the least common according to you. Hm.

Why no submission to legitimate and peer-reviewed song name letter preference journals?

Most common vowel is u? In thousands of instances of hundreds of years of electronic music artists song titles letter dissection, this has never once happened. Show your proof.

No numbers. Numbers are very much required as part of song title collection as per the international rules ratified at the Berlin Accord of 1965, you should be aware of this.

I'm starting to question the legitimacy of this very important research. I suggest everyone remove this from their database until further research can be done into it.

Love these questions!  The dataset I pulled, which is every "Aphex Twin" release on rapenius except Rushup Edge I think because it has a special character in it I couldn't pull it down properly.

There are 11 instances of q in the 307 unique song titles I pulled.  

29els0z.jpg

Your other concerns I think are best addressed by explaining what is meant by "Relative Distribution".  If I were just to plot the number of occurrences of each letter in an aphex twin song, a's and e's and s's and all the other 1-point scrabble pieces would be top ranked.  But what the graph represents is the distribution of those letters relative to their usage in the english language (using frequency in all words in the dictionary as an approximation).  So while "a" may still be used a lot more than 'q' in aphex twin song titles, it's more interesting to know the letters that come up the most or least often in Aphex Twin song titles THAN YOU WOULD EXPECT them to if they had the same distribution as the alphabet.

Here's a way of thinking about it.  You have two buckets, A and B.  A is filled with all the letters of Aphex Twin's song titles.  B is filled with regular scrabble tiles.  Each bucket has the same number of tiles in it.  If you were blindfolded so that you didn't know which bucket you were reaching into and pulled out a letter, the graph tells you the odds the house would give you if you were to bet on which bucket that letter came from.  If it was an "i", you'd have 50:50 odds of it being from bucket A.  If it was a "x", you'd have 20:1 (ish) odds.  Make sense?  

This is what we want to look at if we want to quantify the extent to which aphex twin's use of english characters diverges from the English language.

I removed all special characters as I couldn't get a number for how often they are used in the english language.  I thought about getting the raw text from a bunch of different newspapers or something so I could get frequency of special characters.

Here's the frequency table with special characters included for fun.  

nntoyd.jpg

Archived