I gave this full ep a dedicated headphone listen last night for the first time in a while.. completely blown away by how good each track is, my favorite has shifted between every one at different points.

the sheer level of detail in each track must have taken loads of concentration if he is still sequencing everything to record in one take as on syro..

also, a detail i had kind of forgot about is the last minute of 1st 44; how the track sequencing breaks down and becomes super loose, showing off all the crazy samples and sounds that were used but in isolation.  i would love to hear the end of the track as a sound-test on a massive sound system because each sound is so lush on its own.  1st 44 is definitely my new favorite.

Edited by markedone
  • Like 1

On 6/12/2020 at 2:54 AM, markedone said:

I gave this full ep a dedicated headphone listen last night for the first time in a while.. completely blown away by how good each track is, my favorite has shifted between every one at different points.

the sheer level of detail in each track must have taken loads of concentration if he is still sequencing everything to record in one take as on syro..

also, a detail i had kind of forgot about is the last minute of 1st 44; how the track sequencing breaks down and becomes super loose, showing off all the crazy samples and sounds that were used but in isolation.  i would love to hear the end of the track as a sound-test on a massive sound system because each sound is so lush on its own.  1st 44 is definitely my new favorite.

By one take do you mean he sequenced it in one take? Or that he just records it all in one take. Because I hear this a lot and if it's the later I fail to see how that's particularly impressive. If it's the former then fuck...

Just had another listen and every track is still amazing, I don't get the hate t69 gets though, l guess that middle collapsing bit sounded a bit awkward at first but after it clicked the whole thing works so well as a story(prediction? Haha). Fun EP

2 hours ago, vkxwz said:

By one take do you mean he sequenced it in one take? Or that he just records it all in one take. Because I hear this a lot and if it's the later I fail to see how that's particularly impressive. If it's the former then fuck...

Just had another listen and every track is still amazing, I don't get the hate t69 gets though, l guess that middle collapsing bit sounded a bit awkward at first but after it clicked the whole thing works so well as a story(prediction? Haha). Fun EP

recorded in one take.  in the syro interviews he mentioned how he can sequence everything on the cirklon and then record the track as a live take, and i would imagine collapse is a continuation of that

Edited by markedone

• 4 weeks later...

This EP is still some of his best work ever. Considering it was dropped as an EP without a huge amount of fanfare makes me very excited for whatever comes next. If it were just EPs until the end of time I'd be happy but I also enjoy albums a lot so that'd be nice too.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Stickfigger said:

Without fanfare? There was an international marketing campaign rivalling the blimp and BOC treasurehunt

Indeed. Never seen such a level of teasing for an Ep.

8 hours ago, d-a-m-o said:

Indeed. Never seen such a level of teasing for an Ep.

Ok sure. I forgot about the billboards, that was cool.

Still though, as an EP, coming on the tail on some good, but somewhat random feeling EPs, it was exciting to hear something this wild and I'm wondering what comes next if he didn't feel the need to save these for an LP.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bubba69 said:

Ok sure. I forgot about the billboards, that was cool.

Still though, as an EP, coming on the tail on some good, but somewhat random feeling EPs, it was exciting to hear something this wild and I'm wondering what comes next if he didn't feel the need to save these for an LP.

pre-syro, an aphex EP was just as good as/sometimes better than the albums (rushup and come to daddy are prob my favourite things he's ever done)

I quite liked CCAI/ODS/Cheetah but they all seemed half arsed, like a collection of good demos/ideas that were never fully fleshed out. bit of a brief drop in quality but Collapse brought things back to normality.

got a feeling we may never get another aphex album but who knows

Well, I think the first track is the sexiest thing he's released since Acrid Avid Jam Shred....

...nevermind, I got confused for a moment and confused Collapse with Cheetah.  Still, Collapse, fun romp, reminds me of what a collection of RDJ/Druqks extras might sound like.  No complaints there.

• 1 month later...

So, I uh, might have somewhat spur of the moment (but not really, been wanting this for a while) put a system in my car. Was initially going to just upgrade speakers but my wife talked me into going more full throttle. I don't think she exactly expected a sub that would take up 1/4 of the trunk, but here we are. 

Anyway, holy fucking shit this EP fucking kills w/ a proper system, particularly the sub-frequencies. 1st 44 in particular feels like you are steadily punching your way through 14 different reality membranes on your way to nirvana. Also, unrelated, but the Heorge Garrison stuff (at least Bounce Selector - haven't tried the rest yet) ... wow, so friggin good. Redonkulous production on that shit. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Ivan Ooze said:

Collapse is amazing

It's ridiculously good

1 hour ago, hijexx said:

Didn't know people still cared about car audio

Did a lot of hearing damage growing up with systems, it was "the thing" to do.

Ha! That vid is great. The sub I got wouldn't do nearly this sort of thing but it still hits harder than anything I've had in a car before. I left Cypress Hill Temples of Boom in the CD player accidentally and apparently the installer used that as his primary reference point ^O^

Seriously though, I think many of my favorite music listening experiences happened in a car. Lots of fond memories listening to (what are now) classic warp records (Go Plastic, Drukqs, etc.) while driving around town doing nothing but... driving around town and listening to music. ... wish I had more time for it these days... oh, right, the speakers they installed in the front are Hybrid Audio Mirus  They've done a really good job of bringing in some clarity w/out breaking the bank. In case anyone is looking to upgrade. ..

47 minutes ago, Joyrex said:

Thank whatever higher power you ascribe to for having a wife like this!

Right?!! I swear, we still have a lot of moments of small snipey banter here and there, but with stuff like this... she totally gets why it means so much to me (even if it doesn't to her). Pretty lucky for sure. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...