I like new thing, but can we please go back to 20 year old thing

not what I'm saying my dude. I just kind of dawned on my that while drukqs/the tuss are my favorite albums (still are), I am really appreciating his less beat-heavy stuff more, analord, soundcloud dump, SAW1/2/, icbyd. Would be cool to hear, say, 10-12 tracks of straight fucking elevator music. Get some dry synths, simple beats, some nice melodies. Would be nice to hear that side of him a bit. I'm probably just saying that because I've been extremely stressed out for the last couple weeks. When I'm less stressed out/insomnia my mind tends to suck onto the drukqsian stuff more than the old stuff/analord.

Edited by Bubba69

lol wow, only playing the record now. The vinyl is garbage. Constant and very obvious surface noise. Also the ltd sleeve was split yugely at the top.

wonder what's up with Warp's quality control lately. The NTS sessions debacle and now this? Two of their biggest selling artists with defects in the workmanship of 2 big releases?

lol wow, only playing the record now. The vinyl is garbage. Constant and very obvious surface noise. Also the ltd sleeve was split yugely at the top.

wonder what's up with Warp's quality control lately. The NTS sessions debacle and now this? Two of their biggest selling artists with defects in the workmanship of 2 big releases?

Yeah I've never complained to bleep before, but this sucks shit

I love this stuff but I'm secretly hoping the next full length album is a return to less chaotic rhythm and more easy listening melodies and synth. like ICBYD, or the analord series, or SAW 2. I want like an hour or two of just farty synth love, cottage tracks, notting hill buss, analord 8, analord 11. Don't even know, just want some chill melodies and vibes.

was just jamming to sams car on the way home and i second these sentiments fully, but have full hope that Richard will deliver such chilled-out tracks in the near future. this is only an EP afterall, and a damn good one at that. 

but those cottage tracks, my god those cottage tracks. mmmmm mmm!!

Edited by impotentwhitecapitalist

Once again you don't understand how music works.  Albums like S.A.W II, ICBYD ....actually all of Aphex Twin's early work is timeless.  It has nothing to do with when it was made.  Great music spans time and is appreciated by each new generation over and over again.  Where as the most "advanced and ground breaking new music" will be played out and dated far sooner.  The world top underground DJ'S are still playing Aphex Twins work from the 90's....they're not playing stuff from Druqks, Come To Daddy, Tuss etc..

I can't stand people who treat music like it's sports.

I love this stuff but I'm secretly hoping the next full length album is a return to less chaotic rhythm and more easy listening melodies and synth. like ICBYD, or the analord series, or SAW 2. I want like an hour or two of just farty synth love, cottage tracks, notting hill buss, analord 8, analord 11. Don't even know, just want some chill melodies and vibes.

Would be nice.  In my opinion its far more bold and more challenging to create a really memorable, minimal piece of music than to do complex and virtuosic music.  I'm not even sure RDJ could recreate something like S.A.W II if he tried.  Music like that is almost more channeled than it is performed. 

Once again you don't understand how music works. Albums like S.A.W II, ICBYD ....actually all of Aphex Twin's early work is timeless. It has nothing to do with when it was made. Great music spans time and is appreciated by each new generation over and over again. Where as the most "advanced and ground breaking new music" will be played out and dated far sooner. The world top underground DJ'S are still playing Aphex Twins work from the 90's....they're not playing stuff from Druqks, Come To Daddy, Tuss etc..

I'll tell you why the underground super dj's still play his old stuff. Cause they are old as fukk aswel!! playing the same shit for years over and over again stuck in their little "omg classic from when i was young" nostalgia loop

Great ep, it's awesome to see someone who is still improving and changing while closing into his 50s. With tracks like MT1, and 1st 44 which are among his best imo. I honestly enjoyed those 2 as much as my favorites from syro.

Richard is on record for saying that SAW 3 is "half-complete" ...about... 3 years ago now? Whenever that soundcloud stuff was going on.  Since it's taking so long I imagine he's curating the tracks carefully. I wonder how long it's been in the works.

.they're not playing stuff from Druqks, Come To Daddy, Tuss etc..

none of that is the kind of stuff you really play out though. I've seen flying lotus twice and he played windowlicker both times (he's in love with that track), but he also said over the mic that Syro was amazing (i'm like 85% sure he said Syro). Though he didn't play any Syro during that set. It was right after it came out. Maybe it's just not as compatible as some of those earlier works. 

I'll tell you why the underground super dj's still play his old stuff. Cause they are old as fukk aswel!! playing the same shit for years over and over again stuck in their little "omg classic from when i was young" nostalgia loop 

Earlier stuff also had a ton more pop sentiment. 

Edited by Brisbot

Anyone elses record have a ton of crackle on it or did i get a bad press.

There is some crackle in the files too. It's part of the music

It's still easy listening

Just picked up the CD tonight, first time hearing tracks 2-5. Good god... Aftering taking it it all in,. Im left completely and utterly inspired. This EP is a masterpiece. I'd also been building it up in my head since you guys hyped it up,was kind of worried it might have set expectations too high, but it far exceeded them. Collapse feels alive in a way possibly no other aphex release feels. It's truly magical. As magical as SAW 1 & 2 I think.

Footwork? Ha. This is on a complete other level.

Yeah, again, this ^

The rhythms and sfx he uses in this EP don't belong to a single genre, let alone a hipster microgenre. Also I heard nothing that sounded like the stereotypical footwork sound. If anything I'd say some of the grooves in the first half of the ep are more hip hop / electro oriented, sure with the occasional scratch or vox fx, def some booty bass moments but still wouldn't say super intentional influence from a singular sub/micro genre imo. Maybe he was inspired by something in that vein for that one track, but prob fleeting influence if anything.

Just listened a 2nd time, this time through my Sennheiser DT770 Pros coming out of RME converters and sounds fantastic. I just compared Syro wav files to the Collapse CD ver over HQPlayer and Syro seems mastered hotter/louder. I think it makes sense as Collapse has more dynamics, whereas Syro is more even throughout which lends to that saturated pushed feel.

Exploring Syro again is fun after hearing Collapse. Think ill put on some Cheetah now, maybe explore all his recent stuff again.

there's a million tracks like that on the soundcloud dump

Only like 5 of them are any good tho

whoa man, stop right there.  There are shitloads of gems among them....imo it's the other way around, maybe only 5 of them are shit. You're aware though he continued to upload after the first eight, right? :wink:

Once again you don't understand how music works.

Tried to dodge and stay away from the inevitable shit throwing fest but seriosly, wtf does that even mean? ffs, it's music/tunes/sound/noises, there's nothing bigger truth, enlightenment or system behind it to be discovered. One simply tends to listen to the stuff he likes, age doesn't have a thing to do with it. Maybe it's a language barrier, but do you realize how cocky your post sounds?

I can totally get what you've been trying to say with your appreciation towards early AFX stuff, but imo you come out kinda arrogant by heavily implying, that this new stuff will not be appreciated by future generations as the old stuff is today by these top underground dj's, (who are they anyway?). How the hell can you know that, magic 8 ball? I've heard tons of great mixes which do include those shit and useless drukqs and tuss stuff, and damn, even tracks from syro. Yes, my experience might be invalid as these dj's in question don't necessarily pass some magic line there is between top dj's and other mortals. Maybe I've gotten your posts totally wrong but when talking about this legacy (?) between old and new afx, you tend to generalize a lot based strongly on your personal likes, implying any opposite opinion is just wrong, in worst case scenario made by person who doesn't have enough credibility to even form an opinion. That, my friend, is what triggers us....or me at least. Sure, one can have an opinion but it's totally different thing to act as an ultimate authority. You've had some great points on your posts too but please dude, check little your attitude.

I sometimes sit and think that if you got these songs, the Syro songs, the good CCAI2 and Cheetah songs and made a big double album it would have been quite good

Nice playlist idea.

Still haven't listened to the CCAI stuff, need to get on that.

Edited by eczem

very happy with this one

the end of abundance makes me pray for him to get a move on with SAW III.... those last bars...... floating goodness ;)

between from Cheetah to this feels like a nice cohesive narrative on the go (looming foreshadowing to being thrown into the midst and out again)

- the older he gets the better the craft :aphexsign: 

Once again you don't understand how music works. Albums like S.A.W II, ICBYD ....actually all of Aphex Twin's early work is timeless. It has nothing to do with when it was made. Great music spans time and is appreciated by each new generation over and over again. Where as the most "advanced and ground breaking new music" will be played out and dated far sooner. The world top underground DJ'S are still playing Aphex Twins work from the 90's....they're not playing stuff from Druqks, Come To Daddy, Tuss etc..

You forget one thing. That artists don't wanna be doing the same thing over and over again. They evolve, are a different person from twenty years ago especially someone like Richard who loves experimenting. No way he'll ever go back and as much as i love his older stuff and still listen to that a lot, it's for the best. Nothing more pathetic than an artist trying to copy himself from twenty years ago... If that ever happens he'll just quit all together.