WARP ain't selling like in 1998, kids these days don't give a fuck about IDM.

We're all pretty much now listening to dad-rock version of electronic music.

Struggling to think about how Aphex or Ae could compare to “dad rock” just cause kids aren’t listening...

Finland's biggest newspaper actually referred to Aphex Twin as "beer belly techno" because it's mostly listened to by 30-50 year old males with dad bods..

Struggling to think about how Aphex or Ae could compare to “dad rock” just cause kids aren’t listening...

Finland's biggest newspaper actually referred to Aphex Twin as "beer belly techno" because it's mostly listened to by 30-50 year old males with dad bods..

Welp, I fall into that category. 

I don't come here to be attacked like this.

rekt

First off: loving Collapse - some of his best work to date IMO.

Second off: Anyone hearing "old" sounds in some of the tracks? I don't want to imply Richard is recycling old sounds (I am 1000% sure he has throughout his musical career though and is really good about tweaking them so they sound new and original), but sometimes I get a feeling of recognition during some of the tracks with certain sounds (I need to sit down and write down the times in each track to identify them for sure).

Anyone else notice or feel this?

definitely feeling the old afx sounds. Like in 1st 44 before the incredibly loud dancehall vocal, there's some icbyd style french horn swells (or, that's what it evokes for me). And in general, that track's palette mostly feels very drukqs & run the place red rmx.

Pthex also feels like a throwback.

Finland can suck my man boobs

Back in the 90s when I was a teenager in high school I had a really tedious guy as a music teacher who went on and on about how AOR (by which I think he meant mostly late stage prog rock bands) is the pinnacle of western music. And all the other rock, pop, disco, etc is garbage. And I fucking hated that stuff back then (learned to like some of it later, but different story). Hairy guys in bell-bottom jeans and earth colors, very stuffy and pseudo-intellectual. The guy was stuck somewhere two decades ago listening to Genesis from vinyl. I was banging Aphex Twin's Polynomial-C from my Sony Discman.

So, recently I started thinking maybe I would be viewed like that by modern teenagers if I started to go on and on about IDM being the greatest music ever. Music from two decades ago that is overtly complicated, done by some bearded freaks in cargo pants.

But IDK, actually if the guy had liked disco, funk and particularly some early synth music I would have dug that. If he had played Brian Eno's ambient stuff in the class I would have been so impressed. So, it's not necessarily the age of the music.

Anyway, who cares what the fuck the teenagers think. They are all idiots. But that music teacher really put me off prog rock for several years..

the dad-rock version of electronic music might be harsh but it is starting to be true.  We listen to AFX/AE/BOC/>[]  for the same reason some old farts clinged to Zappa or some Grateful dead bootleg back in the days.  Or even older geezers listening to Mahler after the war.

Amazon did a market research on that, found that a lot of us are maximalists and one of the exec suits approved saying "Those twins from the aphex, they will help us sell more books/other gizmos!"

Edited by Philip Glass

maximalists[/url] and one of the exec suits approved saying "Those twins from the aphex, they will help us sell more books/other gizmos!"

I wonder if Richard could convince the suits that there actually are twins and that they've been talking to one or the other.

Tried to check all this fuzz around footwork and nope, couldn't really feel the genre, not my thing. I really like 1st 44 though, maybe I'm listening to it wrong. Find myself snapping fingers along with 1st 44 and MT1. Groovy, baby.

First off: loving Collapse - some of his best work to date IMO.

Second off: Anyone hearing "old" sounds in some of the tracks? I don't want to imply Richard is recycling old sounds (I am 1000% sure he has throughout his musical career though and is really good about tweaking them so they sound new and original), but sometimes I get a feeling of recognition during some of the tracks with certain sounds (I need to sit down and write down the times in each track to identify them for sure).

Anyone else notice or feel this?

Oh you adorable dotard, ie. Collapse (the track) sounds familiar as Rich played it at Houston...and you were there yourself :dadjoke:

I know Collapse was played at DfN... that's not what I am talking about. To be clear(er), I hear sounds that are reminiscent of older Aphex tracks (like the "farting bass" in T69 Collapse that sounds similar to the

You’re not refering to the T69T07 stasspa+3 bit in T69 Collapse?