• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So, I uh, might have somewhat spur of the moment (but not really, been wanting this for a while) put a system in my car. Was initially going to just upgrade speakers but my wife talked me into going m

Considering Ae dropped 8 hours of music that year with no hype but a facebook post it was a bit much for a 25 minute EP 

Posted Images

the part at 4:39 in [durichoma] is beautiful, the velocity and slight offset of the notes hitting is perfect... then that bass smacks you and then you're dumped into those tasty AF choppy linear breaks

FUGGGGGGG

Also, I'm either going mad, or I'm onto something - I was listening to the EP (again) this morning on the way to work, and I *swear* I hear an Autechre-style sound (can't recall which track) at around 2:12 in 1st 44 that made me think I've heard this before.

Perhaps you mean the live recording at Quirky?

Sorry, not sure what you're referring to?

I mean the droning sound throughout the second track of Quirky, Brixton. There's also some ending bit of Kalpol Introl there. Or do you mean something else?

No, this is a "classic" Autechre sound, from the Amber days... I need to sit down and listen and think about which AE track the sound I hear appears in... I need Google search for my thoughts!

Rolling Stone review: Aphex Twin Mildly Updates His Classic Skitter on ‘The Collapse’ EP

"Most Aphex Twin music since 2001’s Drukqs has been some amalgam of Richard D. James’ greatest tricks: the tripping-over-a-drum-machine skitter, the gorgeous piano dirges, the blissful ambience, the squelchs of acid techno gone feral. The Collapse EP starts with a spasmodic, flickering updates of classic Aphex – opener “T69 Collapse” has the wistful melodies and unpredictable chattering rhythms of 1996’s Richard D. James Album and the accelerated gravity beats of 1997’s “Bucephalus Bouncing Ball.” But the LP promptly falls down a dank, dubby hole that feels, rhythmically, like his classic drill ‘n’ bass, but texturally more like modern rumble. The rubbery art-trap of “1st 44” sounds like a Mike Will Made It beat run through a blender, “Abundance10edit[2 R8’s, FZ20m & a 909]” sounds like multiple vintage techno records playing over each other, the wubbing “MT1 t29r2” sounds like mosquitos flitting about a sewer rave and “Pthex” is acid nostalgia through a cocaine haze."

:cisfor:

Edited by jasondonervan

how much was the special edition going for? i tried checking but it just says sold out.

i got my record store to get it for me and they got the special edition and it was quite expensive, i don't know if that was just them raising the price or what  :shrug:

My local store has/had the special editions for $23.99.  So that should be the price unless they didn't go through their distributor for some reason and ordered from bleep.  edit - USD. not sure about CAD

Edited by andrd

My local store has/had the special editions for $23.99.  So that should be the price unless they didn't go through their distributor for some reason and ordered from bleep.  edit - USD. not sure about CAD

i got mine for 33.99 canadian which if i did the math right a few dollars more than you. oh well. this is why i don't buy vinyl anymore, too expensive  :dry:

i got mine for 33.99 canadian which if i did the math right a few dollars more than you. oh well. this is why i don't buy vinyl anymore, too expensive  :dry:

At least that's less than you would have paid with shipping from Bleep. ($29usd)

Edited by andrd

I love it. So good. Like Drukqs but made with his new setup and workflow.

I don,t understan why everyone is compairing this to drukqs.... To me it sounds nothing like that
With you on this. Just listened to drukqs and not putting 2 & 2 together. Bad ears?
Several similarities I think .. the beats have many chopped and splintered parts and give off a furious headfuck feeling. Also both albums share some of those melancholy pad progressions. But to me they're more different than similar. Collapse is more like some creepy club for aliens / AI in a future dystopian city, and theyre telling us about some hidden portal promising humans transcendence, whereas Drukqs is like an opus written by machines telling a story of them falling apart and dying out in nature somewhere.

Whether or not I agree w/ the bolded part, I absolutely LOVE that this music made you conjure up these images. Really lovely words/thoughts m8.

Yeah, in part it's the hyperactivity of the tracks that I think gives me the Drukqs vibe. I threw on some Syro and Drukqs tracks to compare, and what these tracks have is the warmth and analogue-y feel of Syro mixed with the mental hyperspeed organization of Drukqs. It sounds (to my ears) like a evolution incorporating everything that has come before, with new techniques thrown in - which is why it's so exciting.

It's like this: These tracks are so incredibly packed with detail, that (like my favorite Drukqs tracks), I am sure that I will still be discovering new things even a year down the road (ala Ziggomatic 17, Mt. Saint Michel, etc.)

Thanks, cheers T! Yeah totally agree with your assessment there too. I get the feeling I will be revisiting this one ola lot. It's so much fun and yet goes so deep. You can also tell he made these more recently, nothing rehashed or revisited, no outtakes here. Hoping for a full length!!

At least that's less than you would have paid with shipping from Bleep. ($29usd)

true true

Also, I'm either going mad, or I'm onto something - I was listening to the EP (again) this morning on the way to work, and I *swear* I hear an Autechre-style sound (can't recall which track) at around 2:12 in 1st 44 that made me think I've heard this before.

Perhaps you mean the live recording at Quirky?

Sorry, not sure what you're referring to?

I mean the droning sound throughout the second track of Quirky, Brixton. There's also some ending bit of Kalpol Introl there. Or do you mean something else?

No, this is a "classic" Autechre sound, from the Amber days... I need to sit down and listen and think about which AE track the sound I hear appears in... I need Google search for my thoughts!

Maybe not the same as what you are referring to, but the sound I hear at 1:36 in 1st 44 reminds me of the vocal sounding bits of Nine. Around 3:05

Don’t think this has mentioned yet but could be wrong...

Fav part of Abundance is when you think he is going to drop that “land of abundance” sample again...but then the girl says “do you like the fountains?” as if you have been touring the land of abundance the whole time.