At the moment:

01.pthex

02.1st 44

03.Mt1t29r2

04.T69 collapse

05.abundance

Subject to change. But fantastic EP overall. Keep saying this, but please Richard, my an album in this style!!!! ?

My brain isn't wired to rank songs. My tastes change drastically over time as some music I insta-like and other stuff I learn to appreciate over time.

Doesn't one's preference change depending on mood, setting, and over time/number of listens?

So this EP, mastered quite well yes?

I've found that it sounds great really loud obviously, but compared to a lot of other music i listen to, also presents a good dynamic range at low volumes or on shitty speakers as well. Particularly, the 'bass' kicks or notes or whatever they are, sound full and plump in all contexts. Good work.

Agree, definitely has really nice dynamics and the mix generally isn't very loud which was probably necessary to keep those delicate dynamics plus there are some really warm and fuzzy sounding very subtle distortions that make it all sound full-bodied and pleasing to the ear

My brain isn't wired to rank songs. My tastes change drastically over time as some music I insta-like and other stuff I learn to appreciate over time.

Doesn't one's preference change depending on mood, setting, and over time/number of listens?

Yup, such rankings don't make sense

Yeah this EP is wonderful. Some of the drukqsiness has returned but with his own interpretations of more 'modern' electronic music tropes sprinkled in. Also really liking the recognisable vintage drum machine sounds and the juxtaposition of hearing them in such a contemporary context. I know a lot of artists do that with all the 808 fetishism of recent years but RDJ just pushes it to a new frontier.

some music I insta-like and other stuff I learn to appreciate over time.

I'm like that.

often the stuff I insta-like I quickly get sick of

some music I insta-like and other stuff I learn to appreciate over time.

I'm like that.

often the stuff I insta-like I quickly get sick of

Sometimes for me. Not always.

Abundance has really grown on me, I spoke too soon. It's still my least favorite on the EP but it's a good track.

RE the mixing/mastering - the whole EP actually sounds a little bit muddy to me (kind of like Xmas eve off syro?) unless it's played at higher volumes (which is how I play it anyway so it doesn't rlly matter). 

:shrug:

Great EP overall.

Abundance has really grown on me, I spoke too soon. It's still my least favorite on the EP but it's a good track.

RE the mixing/mastering - the whole EP actually sounds a little bit muddy to me (kind of like Xmas eve off syro?) unless it's played at higher volumes (which is how I play it anyway so it doesn't rlly matter). 

:shrug:

Great EP overall.

Moments like the mid-section of abundance are what what made me the obsessed fan I am of the Phex. Love all kinds of his styles but the muted yet catchy bitter sweet melody is too good. On first listen I almost didn't notice it's brilliance (96k rip, low volume).  

"joy ................................jjjjoy............................................hhhhhappiness"

love that bit

anyway and also .....i judge a song by how much i pretend to twiddle knobs while driving to it :L

................."pthex" gets a lot of air-fingers action

Abundance is probably one of his best tracks since ICBYD in terms of feel/vibe. RDJ hasn't done samples (at least overt ones like in abundance) for some time, and it's something I've always liked about his music.

Abundance is probably one of his best tracks since ICBYD in terms of feel/vibe. RDJ hasn't done samples (at least overt ones like in abundance) for some time, and it's something I've always liked about his music.

It def had the most "Classic Aphex" type of vibe for me, if that makes any sense. 

I do quite like it now that I've heard it a few times. I wish the end section was longer though. =(

Can you imagine being an artist

and there's a thread somewhere on a forum with 139 pages discussing your music

going into all the possible details, as far as to discuss the reverb tails and choice of samples

mindblowing

and then there's people buying your music too, regularly

you might go to Reddit and see someone post yet another Aphex-inspired track, you check it out and smile

You also get to play live on numerous occasions, to people that mostly care about your music, in different countries

You close your browser and go to a room full of analogue gear, just jamming and having fun. "that new Korg thing sounds funny, let's see if I can detune it, hmm. costs 100k$? no probs"

You get carried away with gear, and then your russian wife's calling you to come to a patio, dinner is served. Beautiful Irish/English scenery with hills and grass and stuff around

you feel joy and happiness. 

aphextwin3.jpg?resize=363%2C200