that abundance track is fuckin lush

Ending just hits me out of nowhere every single time I put it on. Serious skills, like he's taken the greatest pads out of the SAW 85-92 era, the greatest melody out of the HAB era, the greatest drum programming out of the Drukqs era, and the greatest bass work out of the Syro/Cheetah era and just whacked them all into a few minutes, making this new amazing post-Aphex Twin concoction that sounds super new/innovative but super old/familiar at the same time, giving it this timeless aesthetic which really to me is the perfect way to progress his sound. He couldn't be more generous putting all of my favourite bits of his wide discography into some new masterpieces and letting us hear it, I feel spoiled, Emotion is off the charts aswell, so so so serene and melancholic. Great track.

This is exactly how I feel about abundance too. Cheers!

that abundance track is fuckin lush

Ending just hits me out of nowhere every single time I put it on. Serious skills, like he's taken the greatest pads out of the SAW 85-92 era, the greatest melody out of the HAB era, the greatest drum programming out of the Drukqs era, and the greatest bass work out of the Syro/Cheetah era and just whacked them all into a few minutes, making this new amazing post-Aphex Twin concoction that sounds super new/innovative but super old/familiar at the same time, giving it this timeless aesthetic which really to me is the perfect way to progress his sound. He couldn't be more generous putting all of my favourite bits of his wide discography into some new masterpieces and letting us hear it, I feel spoiled, Emotion is off the charts aswell, so so so serene and melancholic. Great track.

This is exactly how I feel about abundance too. Cheers!

oh yeah that track was a pleasant surprise. It seemed to come out of nowhere and isn't something you'd expect from aphex post 1995.

Congs brisbot. And looking forward to your footwork chops if the knees back from state of collapse. And thanks to richie you know that after the collapse melodies follow! ;)

Many thanks GoDel. I was so excited that day. I forgot you could be that excited about something. It's like a once every few years kind of excitement. And yeah going back and reading it is positive cringe. If that makes sense.

Edited by Brisbot

what i like about abundance is that it has kinda trancey feel to it. trance is like ultra cheesy most of the time, but i like some elements of it and that track is like aphex just taking the elements i like and build something more interesting around it :-).

what i like about abundance is that it has kinda trancey feel to it. trance is like ultra cheesy most of the time, but i like some elements of it and that track is like aphex just taking the elements i like and build something more interesting around it :-).

not to mention the track is made on the subtle details. I feel you pretty much need headphones to 100% appreciate the track

not to mention the track is made on the subtle details. I feel you pretty much need headphones to 100% appreciate the track

yes like all on the ep, really great what he's doing there. it's like a game: "what do i discover next?"

Edited by indulin

That SH-101 melody at the end of Abundance is addictive. I fell into whistling it last week and have had trouble stopping.

It's bonkers how the last 60 seconds of that track are a song unto themselves; like I could just go on and on with that 5:20-6:20. When he takes the chorus/stereo enhancement off of that pad at 6:10, I lose my shit everytime. You can hear that the timbre and melody are both very simple but whatever fuckery he does totally transforms it into lush city, lush lush city.

huh that's a good way to put it. There are not many post 2001 aphex tracks that are whistling compatible....actually there aren't many post 1997 tracks that are whistling compatible.

I caught myself whistling pthex the other day. hehe. Got lots of stares, like I was about to become unhinged any moment.

Edited by Brisbot

That SH-101 melody at the end of Abundance is addictive. I fell into whistling it last week and have had trouble stopping.

It's bonkers how the last 60 seconds of that track are a song unto themselves; like I could just go on and on with that 5:20-6:20. When he takes the chorus/stereo enhancement off of that pad at 6:10, I lose my shit everytime. You can hear that the timbre and melody are both very simple but whatever fuckery he does totally transforms it into lush city, lush lush city.

huh that's a good way to put it. There are not many post 2001 aphex tracks that are whistling compatible....actually there aren't many post 1997 tracks that are whistling compatible.

got a hold of some ketamine and played this while spacing on 3 bumps.

Djeezus, what an album my tits flew straight off, i heard it in like 6 dimensions

ae nts session 4 was also amazing on that drug, will try it again sometime

Djeezus, what an album my tits flew straight off, i heard it in like 6 dimensions

Did you manage to get your tits reattached, Ivan?

Hope you're alright.

Yes, I love to loop such moments for forever...This one is really good, I haven't noticed that, thanks!

Did you manage to get your tits reattached, Ivan?

Hope you're alright.

I'm seeing some tiny dark dots in the sky. They might still be in orbit!

great interview this one. Apparently AFX swapped a track on the store for something else? Also he doesn't speed up his tracks ya dim wits. Will try to translate later today if I have the time

Google translate does a pretty good job, good enough to get the gist of the conversation, without some of the subtleties perhaps....this is funny as fuck tho:

When you think of your own childhood, what was the first sound that made an impression on you?

The other day I saw an interview with Karlheinz Stockhausen on the BBC, he was asked the same question. Then he got up without a word and left the studio.

Wrong question?

Idiotic interviewers are timeless, it seems.

Google Translate... I could take it or leave it. A simple "German to English" can give you the gist of what is said (without the subtleties) but a lot is left missing - especially with something like a media interview, where the character of the conversation is important.

The Japanese Insert that came with the Collapse EP has been put into text, but as of now we still only have a Google Translate. And that thing took a week to type out :confused:

Supposed to be working on my own stuff but couldn't help thinking about the last minute of Abundance like I mentioned a few weeks ago. The Arturia Drumbrute got plenty of hate but that step repeat strip makes quick work of "instaCollapse" style jams.

https://youtu.be/KmdduRb77Qs

Very cool! Are some of those notes microtonal?

• 2 weeks later...