I've tried getting into footwork a few times now. Some of the Jlin stuff is really good but otherwise it sort of grates on me. I can tell this EP is influenced by footwork, but I'm absolutely in love with this. Go figure!

Despite the clear footworky playfulness on some of the drums, it's not really straight up trying to be "footwork", i think he just likes having a new way to make rhythms. Like abundance, it starts off with a really clear footwork vibe and then it sort of morphs into a SAW 1 era ambient techno piece. It's actually insane how much abundance sounds like a SAW1 track towards the end.

Fuuuuuck !!! Warp release this damn ep you cuntz !!!

I've tried getting into footwork a few times now.  Some of the Jlin stuff is really good but otherwise it sort of grates on me.  I can tell this EP is influenced by footwork, but I'm absolutely in love with this.  Go figure!

Despite the clear footworky playfulness on some of the drums, it's not really straight up trying to be "footwork", i think he just likes having a new way to make rhythms. Like abundance, it starts off with a really clear footwork vibe and then it sort of morphs into a SAW 1 era ambient techno piece. It's actually insane how much abundance sounds like a SAW1 track towards the end.

Yeah that's a good point.  I suppose that's why I'm so into this.  Also, I can absolutely see SAW1 at the end of abundance.  A lot of the latter day Aphex has felt like victory laps around his older material to me(in a great way).  This has some of that, but it's also so fresh at the same time.  It's a masterwork.

Yeah, I was thinking about it, and it's totally natural for RDJ to be influenced by Footwork. Did folks forget that Acid is not an IDM thing; that it came from Chicago? Footwork was growing from the same seeds as Aphex's main influences all this time, in parallel evolution. If you listen to Traxman, Boo, Rashad and Spinn interviews, the story in Chicago seems to be that Footwork is a direct evolution of Acid House, from generations that grew up on Acid, ghetto house, Detroit techno, and The Percolator. For Richard to not acknowledge or take any influence from footwork, despite his deep love for Larry Heard and DJ Pierre and so on, would be for him to intentionally dismiss and shun the children of that music in Chicago and live in the past

Also, for the uninitiated, footwork isn't all like Jlin or Dj Rashad's Double Cup. Footwork influenced by IDM... you mean like, a footwork producer working with OPN on a record?

Dj Earl

It's not a closed loop- footwork is tied into the global electronic music scene. And it's complicated. Folks are innovating there as much as in any other scene

Edited by ganus

So what I'm hearing is Aphex should not be influenced by contemporary electronic music styles as he was in the 90s and should innovate while making music tied to that period's popular emerging styles?

Maybe he should make some big room IDM? Like Eric Prydz meets Stockhausen. 

actually i'd love to hear that!

agreed. i liked that dj earl stuff. haven't heard any jlin stuff which caught my groove. even though the production sounds interesting. incredibly detailed. but the train has a hard time getting into a groove. that earl stuff had a nice groove to it. the bass gets going. bit simpler perhaps. but without becoming boring and predictable. (it's a mix obviously..)

that DJ Earl thing is actually pretty cool. anyone got some recs in that vein? Not too much into listening to youtube rips and all that, especially with bassy things.

Rp boo and young smoke, also bangs and works, all on planet mu Edited by Ivan Ooze

Checked it out too... I don't know, I hate to be a snob but I kind of find it not... sophisticated enough? And that actually made me like the EP a lot more now, glad to hear a different and unique perspective on the genre.

Edited by Guest

that's pretty cool, how'd you listen to it? I think for footwork I'd only listen to it with either tubes+headphones or my big setup with either a woofer or big bass membranes.. think it's supposed to be listened LOUD. 

This one is actually pretty good

that's pretty cool, how'd you listen to it? I think for footwork I'd only listen to it with either tubes+headphones or my big setup with either a woofer or big bass membranes.. think it's supposed to be listened LOUD. 

blasting on monitors now, the bass game is strong

the space muzik track sounds like it's made to be mixed with something else. maybe. It's missing the drive for me but I'm also in the mood for bass rattling riddims right now so I dunno

I dunno It's all pretty similar-sounding like it's meant to put you in a trance-like state with such repetition so that you make that pistol sign with your fingers and move your hand up and down. This is your go-to "this shit is groovy" type of sign.

edit: obviously I don't know shit about footwork so don't take that seriously

Edited by Guest