I'm convinced this forum is has a lot of elitist spergs who can't/don't know how to dance, so they shun anything that people would dance to in a club because it's "too simplistic/too repetetive." Learn to feel a groove m8. Its not bad to be repetitive. Jesus Christ. I know idm is complex and stuff but still, not everything has to be complex to be good music. And just because you don't get hip hop/low income/ethnic minority/mainstream music culture doesn't mean the tracks don't slam, you just think you're above it probably because you feel alienated by it culturally. I'm talking about the response to that DJ Nate track specifically...

Edited by drukqs

I can assure you I wont be attempting to make any footwork inspired tracks in 5 years, and that most if not all of it sounds like complete shit. Whoopdee fucking doo, skittery hi-hats and occasional bass with repetitive fucking annoying vocal samples looped over and over again. 

Nice of you to bring race into it btw.  :ok:

I listen to a fair amount of ethnic music including hip hop (not sure I'd consider this ethnic but more so minority perhaps? Not rlly even), south american and a deece amount of west african which I assume many of the respondants in this thread do as well. Not sure what you're on about m7.

Edited by Bulk VanderHooj

I know your comments were (probably?) not directed at me but almost everything you said was dickheaded bullshit.

You're spot on about a bunch of elitist spergs (I added elitist) in here but that doesn't mean the criticisms of those shit awful artists and genres aren't genuine (if only subjective). 

You're acting just as elitist by shitting on people that don't agree that it's good (I think Jlin is awful, I made it two tracks into an album before I got pissed off that it was dry raping my earholes). 

... you just think you're above it probably because you feel alienated by it culturally...

hit-the-nail-on-the-head.jpg

Disagree. One of the key tenets (IMHO of course) is that good music transcends class, race, ethnicity, culture, gender, etc. It's one of the main reasons I've always been drawn to electronic music.

Making an argument that you don't like footwork because you "don't get it culturally", to someone that actually appreciates just straight up GOOD music, is bogus. 

Maybe 25% comparable but nice try ;o

it has all the mentioned traits though!

tbh I didn't even realize how good a track it was until I posted it... I'm not sure I've ever listened to that ep in its entirety :fear:

Maybe 25% comparable but nice try ;o

it has all the mentioned traits though!

tbh I didn't even realize how good a track it was until I posted it... I'm not sure I've ever listened to that ep in its entirety :fear:

wtf...listen to HAB nao!

I may not have described your particular dislike of it perfectly but my comments still stand. It doesn't matter if you dislike trap flol, trap has been so ubiquitously influential, you can't run away from its influence at this point. Yeah you might not be using triplet hi hats or the same bass but there are certain rhythmic, melodic, atmospheric etc innovations/memes that have come out of trap that have an unarguable influence on almost every electronic musician that makes music today.

Also, while that Nate track might not be my favorite track in the world, there are some really interesting and great grooves that come and go throughout that track that I think shouldn't be ignored. Although it's a pretty sparse and amateurish track on the surface, it fucking rocks at some parts, and in really fresh and interesting ways to my ears. Maybe my assessment of why people dislike it is wrong, but I don't think you can deny that it has some great rhythmic ideas that are tied together in an unexpected way using just vocal samples/synths and minimal drums. It gets my head bobbing, which I didn't think could be done with such bare production. But that's just me. And yes I was being an ass by bringing race into it but there's a huge problem with the electronic bleep bloop music scene in terms of rejecting certain musical ideas/areas because it doesn't share the tropes/memes of their secret club of special bleep bloopy music made with expensive synths.

... you just think you're above it probably because you feel alienated by it culturally...

hit-the-nail-on-the-head.jpg

Disagree. One of the key tenets (IMHO of course) is that good music transcends class, race, ethnicity, culture, gender, etc. It's one of the main reasons I've always been drawn to electronic music.

Making an argument that you don't like footwork because you "don't get it culturally", to someone that actually appreciates just straight up GOOD music, is bogus. 

huuurr.. duurrrr

i believe i listen to music in a vacuum lol. im the worlds biggest retard

huuurr.. duurrrr

i believe i listen to music in a vacuum lol. im the worlds biggest retard

huh? =/ 

Sorry is that directed at me? I'm not sure I understand.

Yeah, I'm with you Drukqs. Dj Nate has some great stuff, and is deserving of respect. In 2010 when I first heard it, and it was my introduction to juke/footwork, I had a WTF reaction, and did not like it. However, in the last couple years, after having followed footwork seriously since 2012, I came back to DJ Nate, and some of his stuff bangs! And he is respected in the community.

This is the track that made me take a second try at DJ Nate:

Btw, agreed with Goiter that you hit the nail on the head earlier