And yes I was being an ass by bringing race into it but there's a huge problem with the electronic bleep bloop music scene in terms of rejecting certain musical ideas/areas because it doesn't share the tropes/memes of their secret club of special bleep bloopy music made with expensive synths.

Mostly fair statements yeah. But this ^^  - certain musical ideas/areas have their place. And sometimes they are out of place. It's the whole reason we have genres. 

my god this thread is a downer. 

sounds like ross from friends except less experienced

That new Ross from Friends album is incredible. I'm actually glad you mentioned that. Ppl need to check out 'Family Portrait' right now. 

Btw, agreed with Goiter that you hit the nail on the head earlier

You can agree all you want. 

But there is literally no logic that stands when someone says "I know you hate bagpipe music but it's only because you don't understand 1000BC middle eastern culture" you just don't understand it so your dislike is unwarranted.

It's no different than footwork, trap, trance, IDM, jungle, etc. You don't have to have a full understanding of what it's like to be African American in Brooklyn in 1990 to like or understand rap or hip hop, as another analogy. 

This isn't complex.

Edited by Bulk VanderHooj

That new Ross from Friends album is incredible. I'm actually glad you mentioned that. Ppl need to check out 'Family Portrait' right now.

^^^^this, but the knife is hands down the best track on it imo, wicked sampling/percussion, i want more in that vein, and longer in duration pls

Edited by impotentwhitecapitalist

Y'all just remember that Bulk spent like $300 on a an album he doesn't even like, so sometimes his judgement isn't to be taken too seriously.

:)

I kind of pre-ordered before the shittiness of the music came out, to be fair. That was Warp's marketing from the get go - only produce as many as people pre-order because once people hear it, they won't want to order it! Don't want unsold shitstock in the blerp warehouse.

And my judgement is just fine thank you. 

Ok. I'm willing to back off. I hear what you are saying Stephen. It's just easy to pick up from some of the sentiments in this thread that folks are shitting on the genre with little to no understanding of it. And it feels like there are some racial undertones when people who are presumably white are shitting on a genre that is predominately black. I have no interest in attacking or belittling you, and I hear that you are saying it is just a matter of taste for you. That's chill

... you just think you're above it probably because you feel alienated by it culturally...

Disagree. One of the key tenets (IMHO of course) is that good music transcends class, race, ethnicity, culture, gender, etc. It's one of the main reasons I've always been drawn to electronic music.

Making an argument that you don't like footwork because you "don't get it culturally", to someone that actually appreciates just straight up GOOD music, is bogus. 

huuurr.. duurrrr

i believe i listen to music in a vacuum lol. im the worlds biggest retard

huh? =/ 

Sorry is that directed at me? I'm not sure I understand.

sorry im trying to start shit right before I go to bed for some reason

to be a bit more civil, "good" music doesn't ignore class or other surroundings, that stuff goes into it. I mean the kind of music you enjoy is greatly influenced by where you live, what you're surrounded by, how you were brought up, all that stuff influences how you perceive and interpret music and its quality. even more significant is that music is influenced by what came before it, the surroundings and circumstances in which it was made, etc. it has to be, music doesn't come out of the ether irrespective of everything else.

I'm not trying to say that all criticism is irrelevant, but what I'm trying to say here is that you might be missing a cultural piece of the puzzle that would allow you to appreciate whatever genre people are talking about in this thread (ive never heard of it). maybe you could come to appreciate it, or maybe not, who really cares, maybe in the end you just don't like that kind of music. but it's a mistaken assumption to believe that there's some essential quality of GOOD that goes into all good music. this goes for all media too.

Ok. I'm willing to back off. I hear what you are saying Stephen. It's just easy to pick up from some of the sentiments in this thread that folks are shitting on the genre with little to no understanding of it. And it feels like there are some racial undertones when people who are presumably white are shitting on a genre that is predominately black. I have no interest in attacking or belittling you, and I hear that you are saying it is just a matter of taste for you. That's chill

I appreciate that - I'm just easy to rile when it comes to things like this I guess. I've literally travelled the world trying to observe, understand, and enjoy as many different cultures as I can (food, music, artefacts, HISTORY).

These things escalate especially quickly when online, especially because "tone" isn't easily apparent - I could probably have the same conversation with a few friends over a few beers (even using the same words) and it would seem WAY less fiery.

Sorry thread (and thread members)! 

... you just think you're above it probably because you feel alienated by it culturally...

Disagree. One of the key tenets (IMHO of course) is that good music transcends class, race, ethnicity, culture, gender, etc. It's one of the main reasons I've always been drawn to electronic music.

Making an argument that you don't like footwork because you "don't get it culturally", to someone that actually appreciates just straight up GOOD music, is bogus. 

huuurr.. duurrrr

huh? =/ 

to be a bit more civil, "good" music doesn't ignore class or other surroundings, that stuff goes into it. I mean the kind of music you enjoy is greatly influenced by where you live, what you're surrounded by, how you were brought up, all that stuff influences how you perceive and interpret music and its quality. even more significant is that music is influenced by what came before it, the surroundings and circumstances in which it was made, etc. it has to be, music doesn't come out of the ether irrespective of everything else.

I'm not trying to say that all criticism is irrelevant, but what I'm trying to say here is that you might be missing a cultural piece of the puzzle that would allow you to appreciate whatever genre people are talking about in this thread (ive never heard of it). maybe you could come to appreciate it, or maybe not, who really cares, maybe in the end you just don't like that kind of music. but it's a mistaken assumption to believe that there's some essential quality of GOOD that goes into all good music. this goes for all media too.

This I understand to an extent, thank you. Relatability and context is important for sure, none of this is objective. 

Can you think of a cultural background you could come from where you understand and appreciate Justin Bieber? Like actually appreciate it as an art? (And I'm not trying to draw a parallel between that and other musics, sorry). ;o

Anyways, I'm off to bed. Sorry for the massive derailment and hopefully we (mostly myself I guess?) can keep things civil. 

Just got a bit butt chaffed at some of the comments. 

Sweaty dreams watmmers.  :catsalute:

Says what I meant to say in the first place in a much less confrontational and presumptive way, thank you. I'm in a mood, sorry if I offended. I get your point, too Bulk. I was a bit out of line.

I love you guys, I'm a white nerd if ever there fucking was one anyway. I'm mostly just talking to my past self who derided any clubby music because I literally had no rhythm and could not dance :shrug:

^^^^this, but the knife is hands down the best track on it imo, wicked sampling/percussion, i want more in that vein, and longer in duration pls

Damn good track. So many IMO. My personal favorite Brainfeeder release.. by quite a lot. 

huuurr.. duurrrr

huh? =/ 

This I understand to an extent, thank you. Relatability and context is important for sure, none of this is objective. 

Can you think of a cultural background you could come from where you understand and appreciate Justin Bieber? Like actually appreciate it as an art? (And I'm not trying to draw a parallel between that and other musics, sorry). ;o

if you want to draw criticism against Justin Bieber, you need to compare his music to his contemporaries. Like the more acquainted with modern pop music you are, the more valuable your opinion is regarding the quality of his music, you know what I'm saying? if you don't like modern pop (I sure as hell don't) then of course you're going to hate whatever garbage he releases. but the people who do enjoy modern pop (e.g. mostly young girls probably) will be able to make a more useful assessment.

Well I'm not a fan of footwork and trap is the worst, most generic, disposable pop garbage to ever happen to hip hop/rap, electronic music.  Haven't listened to the leak but please tell me Aphex Twin is not making fucking trap?

FFS there are small similarities to the footwork genre on one track but this thread has gone totally overboard with the comparison. This is still Aphex first and foremost & he is pushing his own personal sound forward into new & exciting territory.

I would be disappointed if Aphex ever locked himself into a category of music simply to follow a trend and he is clearly not doing that.

Edited by seaburn

Y'all just remember that Bulk spent like $300 on a an album he doesn't even like, so sometimes his judgement isn't to be taken too seriously.

:)

I kind of pre-ordered before the shittiness of the music came out, to be fair. That was Warp's marketing from the get go - only produce as many as people pre-order because once people hear it, they won't want to order it! Don't want unsold shitstock in the blerp warehouse.

And my judgement is just fine thank you.

Lol there was at least 1/4 of the music out before you ordered. Two hours of music. That ain't a pre-order my dude.

prichard jams predicted trap music guys:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=N4BEpxiF4Qk

2:40 onward. Check m8, racists.

I don't have a dog in this fight but this sounds like ambient techno. What makes 'trap' 'trap' to you exactly? Just that tempo and the beat made on a drum machine? That is a metric FUCK TON of music.