Me: do u fancy afx twin?

Normies: yeah I love the afx twins!

same people who assemble a playlist consisting of Windowlicker, BoC's peacock tail and Autechre's VLetrmx21. "I listen to IDMZ" starter pack

that's you that is

Pro tip: Next time you listen to 1st 44, remember that richard did this mixdown live and that he performed the record scratching and yelling live, those are not samples you're hearing. ( I don't actually know this but I like to picture him in a swivel chair yelling into a home-made microphone and scratching a turntable and switching up sequencer patterns on the fly while twiddling aux send amounts on the mixing console.

same people who assemble a playlist consisting of Windowlicker, BoC's peacock tail and Autechre's VLetrmx21. "I listen to IDMZ" starter pack

Those are some really good tracks. Nice starter pack!

I'd throw some Squarepusher and Ziq, to complete the package. To super size the meal, I would ad a side of Luke Vibert and Venetian Snares. 

I'd throw some Squarepusher and Ziq, to complete the package. To super size the meal, I would ad a side of Luke Vibert and Venetian Snares.

don't forget tussticles, true pioneers of the electronically aided computer music scenes

Edited by MIXL2

Alright I'm sorry. I was out of my element. If you don't like footwork/dj nate whatever, fine. You're entitled to not like it. It's not the best track but while you find the repetition of the vocals annoying, I think that nate uses enough rhythmic variation to keep it engaging and interesting enough that I'll go back and listen to it a few more times, because although it's a relatively lackluster track on the surface, something about it is musically alluring to me. It's almost the fact that we tend to automatically dislike repeating vocals but don't care as much when it's a hi hat line or synth phrase. I think it's interesting to use vocals in that way, with those particular rhythms. It sounds fresh enough to my ears.

Same thing with Jlin. I really disliked her music the first time I heard it. It took a couple times for the rhythms to lock in and then her style of production started making sense to me, it no longer sounded like a smattering of repetitive samples. For a lot of people the first time they hear Aphex's drums on songs like Vordhosbn, it just sounds like someone haphazardly fucking with a drum machine obnoxiously rather than hearing the subtleties and repeated phrases that make it musically compelling.

Sorry for being out of my element. All of that said, it's still valid to not like Jlin/footwork/dj Nate. I just like it and I wish you guys did too :(

Alright I'm sorry. I was out of my element. If you don't like footwork/dj nate whatever, fine. You're entitled to not like it. It's not the best track but while you find the repetition of the vocals annoying, I think that nate uses enough rhythmic variation to keep it engaging and interesting enough that I'll go back and listen to it a few more times, because although it's a relatively lackluster track on the surface, something about it is musically alluring to me. It's almost the fact that we tend to automatically dislike repeating vocals but don't care as much when it's a hi hat line or synth phrase. I think it's interesting to use vocals in that way, with those particular rhythms. It sounds fresh enough to my ears.

Same thing with Jlin. I really disliked her music the first time I heard it. It took a couple times for the rhythms to lock in and then her style of production started making sense to me, it no longer sounded like a smattering of repetitive samples. For a lot of people the first time they hear Aphex's drums on songs like Vordhosbn, it just sounds like someone haphazardly fucking with a drum machine obnoxiously rather than hearing the subtleties and repeated phrases that make it musically compelling.

Sorry for being out of my element. All of that said, it's still valid to not like Jlin/footwork/dj Nate. I just like it and I wish you guys did too :(

dj nate subforum imo

Does anyone feel like I do that T69 Collapse only 'works' in the context of the video (Weirdcore did an amazing job syncing up the visuals to the beats)?

It definitely works better.

I can’t stop listening to this. It’s just massive sounding. My new system should be done early september. It will be the best sound system I’ve ever had. Can’t wait to christen it with this gem before driving my family crazy with the NTS Sessions...

My new system should be done early september. It will be the best sound system I’ve ever had. 

I'm intrigued. I'm looking at re-doing my stereo but having a hard time finding larger, high SPL but also good sounding speakers on a reasonable budget. Will you share to the stereo thread when built? 

Edited by Bulk VanderHooj

Sorry too derail; but

Ive been through the ringer with systems. My advice old tube amps. Techs can work on them forever and they stay sounding amazing. The tubes are cheap. 

My set up is a dynaco st-70. With dynaco A25 speakers. The sound is shocking. You can touch it. Squiggy, soft. wonderful.

All cheap too. st-70 $500, a25's $200 a pair. Of course have a tech recap, etc. Nothing digital.

my set up

post-1584-0-44640500-1534373395_thumb.jpg

post-1584-0-83035000-1534373400_thumb.jpg

Edited by marf

Really like T69 collapse. Wonder if I'll get the "WOW" feeling I did when I first heard drukqs. That was my first Aphex Twin experience. I then worked back through his stuff. I'll never forget when I first heard Wax The Nip. Absolutely amazing!!!

drukqs was my first one asswell and i got that WOW feeling with this one, hope you guys will 2

I remember popping that shit in the car, and the 1/2 punch of Jynweythek Ylow->Vordhosbn just fucking floored me. Remember thinking "oh, shit YES - this is the shit I've been looking for."

When I got Drukqs, I played disc 2 first by accident and thought just the same after 54 Cymru Beats !!!

I can’t stop listening to this. It’s just massive sounding. My new system should be done early september. It will be the best sound system I’ve ever had. Can’t wait to christen it with this gem before driving my family crazy with the NTS Sessions...

Subjecting a family to new autechre is hilarious to me. And hell yes to to this sounding massive. That is the word. So much of it sounds huge. Big room aphex. Finally a proper sub assault by the man.

To anyone scared to listen to the 96 kbps, it sounds great, and I have plenty of OCD about sound 

At worst it sounds like you're hearing it on a very clear fm radio station, it's not like a live video from someone's phone

Maybe I'm crazy but these tracks have a richer sound at 96 than the hangable auto bulb cd at full quality

It isn't perfect but who cares, just break it in now and we'll have the hq versions soon enough, just like the soundcloud dump

Trust me you'll thank yourself later-- is anyone regretting hearing them at this quality? I'm so glad I did

Caved and grabbed the 96k. Definitely some fresh parameters in here.

Promising myself to only listen to the 96k on a bluetooth speaker, saving headphones and big system for the pristine digitals.

I can tell there are some delicious details in there I don't want to spoil yet.

I speculate this direction was spurred in part by his purchase of the RYTM.

To anyone scared to listen to the 96 kbps, it sounds great, and I have plenty of OCD about sound 

At worst it sounds like you're hearing it on a very clear fm radio station, it's not like a live video from someone's phone

Maybe I'm crazy but these tracks have a richer sound at 96 than the hangable auto bulb cd at full quality

It isn't perfect but who cares, just break it in now and we'll have the hq versions soon enough, just like the soundcloud dump

Trust me you'll thank yourself later-- is anyone regretting hearing them at this quality? I'm so glad I did

listening to them in 96kb/s now wont satisfy my masochism like waiting an extra month to listen to a .flac of music that i already purchased will