I partially caved and listened to 1st 44 and MT1. Fucking excellent stuff, especially 44.

Gonna try my best to resist the other two tunes until release day, but I can already see this shaping up to be his strongest release since Rushup.

Edited by valleyinaire

We should be going digital only to reduce consumer fetishism and the unhealthy obsession with things.  My CD collection just sits on my shelf doing nothing since I've ripped all of them.  Why do I own these CDs?  For some abstract desire to have a collection of things representing my interests?  Unless you actively use them, this is the only explanation.  And CDs and even vinyls are disgusting and unhealthy for the environment.  We should boycott all physical releases.  If the dominant culture moved to digital only it would also lessen the divide between signed and unsigned artists who can afford large printings of physical releases and make the quality of the music itself come to the forefront, bandcamp and soundcloud has helped with this but it can go further still /rant

What if a solar flare wipes out all your digital storage mediums? You'll still be able to listen to these tracks by running your freaky long finger nail through the sensual grooves.

It's nice to have a carving of human expression that can be played back mechanically.

Wait so the reason pthex isn't on vinyl is to reduce materialistic consumer fetishism?

Don't wanna lower the quality of the pressing by adding more length and having to narrow the grooves.

Aphex has a new EP coming out and you lot are discussing transients, bitrates and aliasing.

Soon ya’ll will be ranting about audiophile speaker cables. Are some of you getting old and jaded?

Remember the days when you just enjoyed the music and you felt that incredible rush even though the sounds came from a hissy cassette taped off the radio — in mono? /pointless rant

I'm going to sing "happy birthday" if he does that! And add a snarerush as well with some additional pig noises with reverb to celebrate Madonna's 60th. ;)

I liked it but I wasn't overwhelmed. I don't know if he's ever going to surprise the world again, I mean he was groundbreaking for almost 2 decades but the last 5 years were kinda meh. I hope this is the turning point.

Edited by Allize

I liked it but I wasn't overwhelmed. I don't know if he's ever going to surprise me again, I mean he was groundbreaking for almost 2 decades but the last 5 years were kinda meh. I hope this is the turning point.

Fixt that for ya.

Confusing yourself with the entire world is not healthy. :p

I liked it but I wasn't overwhelmed. I don't know if he's ever going to surprise the world again, I mean he was groundbreaking for almost 2 decades but the last 5 years were kinda meh. I hope this is the turning point.

he might as well give up now!

no matter what he releases, “ground-breaking” or not, some of us folks will just get used to it after a while and call it “meh”. asking for or wanting/needing good and and exciting music is one thing, being totally unfair to an artist is another. childish af. just want more and more and more. appreciate what you get.

’ What’s that forum, We Are The Music Makers? There’s loads of full-on Aphex nerds that’ll go to town on there, it’s quite funny.”

oh my

“I read all the comments. I’ve got through the commentary on the YouTube video a few times. It’s all been really good.” Does James also partake? “Yeah, yeah [laughs]. Big time. He reads them for the videos but he also checks them for the shows, because he doesn’t get to see the visuals. The next day he’ll be checking all the stuff on YouTube and saying, ‘Ooh, this could’ve been different.’ But he does. He checks it all. 

i-knew-it-gif-13.gif

Edited by Guest

from Weirdcore

“I love accidents and mistakes,” he tells me. “Not mistakes, maybe, but things that aren’t planned. One that I was pleased with is the bit in the video where everything’s collapsing, and it looks like an anus. That wasn’t planned, but I noticed it instantly.”

Haha!

I have the feeling Aphex is back in business my good friends!

That Weirdcore Quietus article was an excellent read, sounds like lots of cool things happening in Camp Aphex atm. Still haven't heard the Collapse EP not because of the bitrate but because I'm totally deaf in my left ear until the nurse sucks out the foul gunk on Monday.

Then me be ready for Wise Grasshopper Style IDM! Fuck Yeah!

Edited by beerwolf

from Weirdcore

“I love accidents and mistakes,” he tells me. “Not mistakes, maybe, but things that aren’t planned. One that I was pleased with is the bit in the video where everything’s collapsing, and it looks like an anus. That wasn’t planned, but I noticed it instantly.”

Haha!

more from Weirdcore

"There’s one thing I can say. There will be an overlay of all the data — all the sound analysis, all the BPM changes, all the midi stuff will be clearly visualised. A bit like the kind of user interface overlay they have in Spotify. A little side thing that has all that stuff. It’ll make it interesting for anyone but I think all the Aphex nerds will completely geek out. But there’s going to be other versions of this video. This is V1, there’ll be V1.1 when it comes out and more versions after that. There’s talk of a VR version as well.”

Awesome:)

:aphexsign: :aphexsign: :aphexsign: :aphexsign: :aphexsign:

Why on earth would he read any of this!?

Cause it's kinda fun, and besides how else would you learn that the premature low q leak of your to-be-groundbreaking ep in fact sucks v

PGwExf9.jpg

Aphex has a new EP coming out and you lot are discussing transients, bitrates and aliasing.

Soon ya’ll will be ranting about audiophile speaker cables. Are some of you getting old and jaded?

Remember the days when you just enjoyed the music and you felt that incredible rush even though the sounds came from a hissy cassette taped off the radio — in mono? /pointless rant

haha, all of the tunes i make are 8bit/22khz, but i just can't bring myself to listen to 96kbps afx for whatever reason. i have the irresistible urge to hold off until flac  :wtf:

We should be going digital only to reduce consumer fetishism and the unhealthy obsession with things. My CD collection just sits on my shelf doing nothing since I've ripped all of them. Why do I own these CDs? For some abstract desire to have a collection of things representing my interests? Unless you actively use them, this is the only explanation. And CDs and even vinyls are disgusting and unhealthy for the environment. We should boycott all physical releases. If the dominant culture moved to digital only it would also lessen the divide between signed and unsigned artists who can afford large printings of physical releases and make the quality of the music itself come to the forefront, bandcamp and soundcloud has helped with this but it can go further still /rant

May as well throw all "physical" paintings, sculptures, and other art that can be reproduced digitally away too. Hey movie theaters don't need to be built any longer, let's save the building materials for... more chipboards, sensors and data centers? ? If digital-everything is the way of the future, then god help us.

Didn't we already establish that digital-everything is the way of the future? And anecdotally that God is dead?

And with "we", I mean "we the people of planet Earth".

;)

Didn't we already establish that digital-everything is the way of the future? And anecdotally that God is dead?

And with "we", I mean "we the people of planet Earth".

;)

Digitizing media and functions that serve no emotional or artistic purpose makes sense. But clearly there's a desire and priority for music to remain as a physical format, which explains the new adoption and growing reissues of vinyl and tape. I predict the same will occur with CDs in the near future. To me and countless others, the physical format of a music release has value far beyond simply being a medium to store the data. Edited by Lane Visitor