Yes certain sounds don’t need high bitrates to be reproduced, these are pretty clear and uncluttered tones on this release, there’s no fuzzed-out multi-guitar solos or anything

Detecting mild compression in the hi-hats and snares of a drum machine is not exactly jarring for an artist who rarely uses normal drum sounds anyway

blerp / Aphex stores now sold out of special edition vinyl. If it took this long, sounds like several thousand must have been printed.

Don't give in:)

:aphexsign: :aphexsign: :aphexsign: :aphexsign: :aphexsign:

Dang guys.

I guess I'm gonna have to leave the hysteria behind. I read the thread like a digest and it seems like I definitely got the right files based on everybody's descriptions and I was profoundly underwhelmed. I know this is heresy and I'll leave this hype machine thread as it rolls thunderously on. Pretty stoked to get Houston and Primavera but I'm definitely glad that I resisted the special edition cash grab if we're talking pure Aphex quality and not fetishism.

Wew lads.

pthex is my fav. I hate when people say “it’s a grower”.... it’s a grower.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happy Birthday to ya RDJ!!!

Can't wait for Collapse ep

but I will:)

Don't give in:)

lol

..pthex is not on the vinyl?? wtf why

..pthex is not on the vinyl?? wtf why

Because they did not press that track to the vinyl.  :cisfor:

(To boost sales of the digital which has almost zero overhead, increasing their overall margin on this release)

Edited by Bulk VanderHooj

(To boost sales of the digital which has almost zero overhead, increasing their overall margin on this release)

All 5 tracks are on the download that comes with the vinyl though

We should be going digital only to reduce consumer fetishism and the unhealthy obsession with things.  My CD collection just sits on my shelf doing nothing since I've ripped all of them.  Why do I own these CDs?  For some abstract desire to have a collection of things representing my interests?  Unless you actively use them, this is the only explanation.  And CDs and even vinyls are disgusting and unhealthy for the environment.  We should boycott all physical releases.  If the dominant culture moved to digital only it would also lessen the divide between signed and unsigned artists who can afford large printings of physical releases and make the quality of the music itself come to the forefront, bandcamp and soundcloud has helped with this but it can go further still /rant

It's the remnants of the old world. Materialist consumerism. People falling for the notion of owning something tangible. An awkward pre-post-modernist notion that somehow got past an otherwise post-modernist outlook on life. It's an awkward discrepancy. But hey, people and all that. :)

Wait so the reason pthex isn't on vinyl is to reduce materialistic consumer fetishism?

Only listening to MT1 since I've already heard it a million times in even more shit quality, so it's an improvement. Holding out on the rest!

1st 44 is fantastic IMO. 

I partially caved and listened to 1st 44 and MT1. Fucking excellent stuff, especially 44.

Gonna try my best to resist the other two tunes until release day, but I can already see this shaping up to be his strongest release since Rushup.

Edited by valleyinaire

We should be going digital only to reduce consumer fetishism and the unhealthy obsession with things.  My CD collection just sits on my shelf doing nothing since I've ripped all of them.  Why do I own these CDs?  For some abstract desire to have a collection of things representing my interests?  Unless you actively use them, this is the only explanation.  And CDs and even vinyls are disgusting and unhealthy for the environment.  We should boycott all physical releases.  If the dominant culture moved to digital only it would also lessen the divide between signed and unsigned artists who can afford large printings of physical releases and make the quality of the music itself come to the forefront, bandcamp and soundcloud has helped with this but it can go further still /rant

What if a solar flare wipes out all your digital storage mediums? You'll still be able to listen to these tracks by running your freaky long finger nail through the sensual grooves.

It's nice to have a carving of human expression that can be played back mechanically.

Wait so the reason pthex isn't on vinyl is to reduce materialistic consumer fetishism?

Don't wanna lower the quality of the pressing by adding more length and having to narrow the grooves.

Aphex has a new EP coming out and you lot are discussing transients, bitrates and aliasing.

Soon ya’ll will be ranting about audiophile speaker cables. Are some of you getting old and jaded?

Remember the days when you just enjoyed the music and you felt that incredible rush even though the sounds came from a hissy cassette taped off the radio — in mono? /pointless rant

it's his birthday, maybe he'll give us a treat by putting the digitals in the store

:^)

I'm going to sing "happy birthday" if he does that! And add a snarerush as well with some additional pig noises with reverb to celebrate Madonna's 60th. ;)

I liked it but I wasn't overwhelmed. I don't know if he's ever going to surprise the world again, I mean he was groundbreaking for almost 2 decades but the last 5 years were kinda meh. I hope this is the turning point.

Edited by Allize

I liked it but I wasn't overwhelmed. I don't know if he's ever going to surprise me again, I mean he was groundbreaking for almost 2 decades but the last 5 years were kinda meh. I hope this is the turning point.

Fixt that for ya.

Confusing yourself with the entire world is not healthy. :p

I liked it but I wasn't overwhelmed. I don't know if he's ever going to surprise the world again, I mean he was groundbreaking for almost 2 decades but the last 5 years were kinda meh. I hope this is the turning point.

he might as well give up now!

No richard please don't do that

it was quite good

96kbps is now a meme

and happy b'day to you Richard!

no matter what he releases, “ground-breaking” or not, some of us folks will just get used to it after a while and call it “meh”. asking for or wanting/needing good and and exciting music is one thing, being totally unfair to an artist is another. childish af. just want more and more and more. appreciate what you get.