IGNORED

IDM and narcissism of small differences

zlemflolia

To the people I know that don't listen to electronic music, Deathmouse and Aphex Twin sound the same.

Ha. My roommate always says 'this sounds a lot like Nine Inch Nails' when she hears any sort of electronic music.

It use to irk me, but now I just kind of roll my eyes.

=P

To the people I know that don't listen to electronic music, Deathmouse and Aphex Twin sound the same.

There's a Fenriz interview where he mentions that he does not judge anyone who says all metal sounds the same, even though he's something of a walking metal encyclopedia, because to him all classical music sounds similar, even though he knows it is an insanely diverse and substantial genre technically and historically.

It can really vary - I know very talented and musically apt people who could easily say that Deadmau5 and Aphex Twin sound the same and likewise I've chatted with absolute dolts who have the same conclusion. 

I remember someone on WATMM saying that all ambient tracks sound exactly the same. :)

TBH, sometimes when I'm listening to some braindance it occurs to me that some tracks/artists aren't that far away from generic elevator or game music. Just add a bit of microtonality, some breakbeats and an acid bassline and there you go..

Then there are some "IDM" musicians that have pushed the limits quite far away from the mainstream electronic music.

But I don't really care. Does it make music better because it's not poppy? I like cheesy music like disco anyway. It's mostly just the general attitude and feel in music like brostep that I can't feel connected to, not that I think it is somehow subpar as artistry compared to "IDM".

There's a Fenriz interview where he mentions that he does not judge anyone who says all metal sounds the same, even though he's something of a walking metal encyclopedia, because to him all classical music sounds similar, even though he knows it is an insanely diverse and substantial genre technically and historically.

It can really vary - I know very talented and musically apt people who could easily say that Deadmau5 and Aphex Twin sound the same and likewise I've chatted with absolute dolts who have the same conclusion. 

The irony there is Fenriz is *very* specific when describing house music. Reading his reviews of house tracks is always hilarious, it's like he invents new microgenres with each track reviewed.

Archived