IGNORED

On EP mastering

Lane Visitor

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The fuck are artists supposed to do?

"The fans really liked that album, I'm gonna make it over and over again specifically with those sounds. Wouldn't want my fans to think I'm like trying to emulate my favorite artists or improve in ways that tickle my fancy... then they'd be going into forums 20 years after the fact and scolding me for 'wanting to do new things' and ''needing to push the envelope'... I'm a fool to have done what I want! A FOOL! *creates ON remix #857 adding a few more screechy-swap sounds from his MS-20* and hammers out a beat to repeat 1000x until the end of the track"

There we go.

You totally miss the point: up until the RDJ album, it was a continuous stream of innovation. There were dozens of tracks that were an innovation onto themselves and have never been repeated; where's another track that sounds like "On," like "Alberto Balsalm," like "Donkey Rhubarb," like "Ventolin," like "Fingerbib," like "Sloth," like "Dscape," like "Analogue Bubblebath," like "Quoth," etc etc etc.....

Each one is so unique and amazing it could practically be it's own genre, yet they're all basically 1-offs stylistically.

From Druqks on, there are a few surprises along the way, but the sound palette and music is the much same across many many MANY tracks. The desire to "outdrill Squarepusher" takes a backseat sometimes, but it always comes back to the forefront, over and over. Personally I feel like it got boring by Druqks, and yet here we are hearing the same thing on his new single in 2018... I'm beyond bored of it.

For the record, I buy everything he puts out because I'm a fan for life - I look for those glimmers of past brilliance and I hear little glimpses in most of what he does. I love the Analord series even if it doesn't have anywhere near the magic or innovation of his early to mid 90s output IMO. I'm not stuck in the past nor expecting that AFX's output should be what I want it to be. I'm just expressing why I prefer his 90s output.

Definitely prefer the older stuff myself too. I only really listen to the new stuff (apart from Analord (- yeah thats still new as its post millennium)) to see how amazing Rich's programming/mixing is. personally i think he does the newer stuff because no one else really can but if im gonna listen to an album its pre-RDJ generally for me too. i basically don't like computer/modern-DSP music though. im like the techno equivalent of a finger in the ear folker. 

Edit: Cheetah also rocked though

Edit: 1st 44 also rocks.

Edit: Im contrary twat as i do like fannesz, ratser norton and loads of other digital stuff really. 

"The fans really liked that album, I'm gonna make it over and over again specifically with those sounds. Wouldn't want my fans to think I'm like trying to emulate my favorite artists or improve in ways that tickle my fancy... then they'd be going into forums 20 years after the fact and scolding me for 'wanting to do new things' and ''needing to push the envelope'... I'm a fool to have done what I want! A FOOL! *creates ON remix #857 adding a few more screechy-swap sounds from his MS-20* and hammers out a beat to repeat 1000x until the end of the track"

There we go.

You totally miss the point: up until the RDJ album, it was a continuous stream of innovation. There were dozens of tracks that were an innovation onto themselves and have never been repeated; where's another track that sounds like "On," like "Alberto Balsalm," like "Donkey Rhubarb," like "Ventolin," like "Fingerbib," like "Sloth," like "Dscape," like "Analogue Bubblebath," like "Quoth," etc etc etc.....

Each one is so unique and amazing it could practically be it's own genre, yet they're all basically 1-offs stylistically.

From Druqks on, there are a few surprises along the way, but the sound palette and music is the much same across many many MANY tracks. The desire to "outdrill Squarepusher" takes a backseat sometimes, but it always comes back to the forefront, over and over. Personally I feel like it got boring by Druqks, and yet here we are hearing the same thing on his new single in 2018... I'm beyond bored of it.

For the record, I buy everything he puts out because I'm a fan for life - I look for those glimmers of past brilliance and I hear little glimpses in most of what he does. I love the Analord series even if it doesn't have anywhere near the magic or innovation of his early to mid 90s output IMO. I'm not stuck in the past nor expecting that AFX's output should be what I want it to be. I'm just expressing why I prefer his 90s output.

Dat glimmer of self awareness.

"hmm, they'll think I'm stuck in the past if I say all of this. I know, I'll tell them I'm not. Checkmate, bitches"

Great music is timeless.  Take these couple songs, they comprised of only a few notes and yet they cause people in the comment section of Youtube to contemplate the meaning of life, talk to dead family members, divulge their deepest secrets etc..

If you played those same notes on any random keyboard it would sound retarded.  It's those particular sounds/ textures that make it work the way it does.  That's brilliance to me. Saying the most with the least amount of sounds/elements. Not endless virtuosity.

Aphex Twin's early work executed that aesthetic perfectly, that's why tracks like these will always resonate with people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goDd02TTxBA

So while you're all screaming about not being "stuck in the past" and comparing it to people listening to only Pink Floyd and blah blah blah.  It's actually a hell of a lot more like classic/progressive rock to want endless virtuosity in your music.  I'm coming from a punk rock aesthetic of minimalism.  Saying more with less...and that will always be both more futuristic and more timeless in my book.  So your claim of it being stuck in the past makes no sense since it's music that never dates or gets old.

Go to someone who's never heard Aphex Twin before and play them the old stuff and then the stuff you find the most progressive and see what they instantly gravitate towards every time.

In my experience, most often it's the music that's the most complex and 'breaking new ground' that dates very quickly/doesn't stand up to the test of time.

People on youtube comment sections are definitely where you want to grade the worth of something

Yes, common ordinary people who might not consider themselves experts on electronic music are an excellent gauge of things.  Seeing how music effects unbiased people.  People not initiated into the elitism of hardcore fans.  Yeah it's a great indicator. 

So while you're all screaming about not being "stuck in the past" and comparing it to people listening to only Pink Floyd and blah blah blah.  It's actually a hell of a lot more like classic/progressive rock to want endless virtuosity in your music.  I'm coming from a punk rock aesthetic of minimalism.  Saying more with less...and that will always be both more futuristic and more timeless in my book.  So your claim of it being stuck in the past makes no sense since it's music that never dates or gets old.

Go to someone who's never heard Aphex Twin before and play them the old stuff and then the stuff you find the most progressive and see what they instantly gravitate towards every time.

In my experience, most often it's the music that's the most complex and 'breaking new ground' that dates very quickly/doesn't stand up to the test of time.

tl; dr: anti-intellectualism is a virtue 

For the most part it is a virtue.  Intellectualism sucks balls.

The thoughts and feelings evoked from a simple piece of music transcend Intellectualism by a million miles.

Here's one more before I peace out. 

The comments are great....

'Listening to this helped me realize I'm okay with dying. Life is given more of a precious value because it ends, anyway. It'll just be my eternal rest from the wonderful experience I've had in my mortal existence. I love my life and I love how peacefully it ends, I think people should understand that feeling too. I wish people could just be happy with me."

"Dude, I'm just now finding out about Aphex...this shit is absolutely incredible. I wonder how profound his mindset had be to put these sounds together. This is like nothing I have ever heard before." 

The last one is probably the least "profound" of the comments but the thing is, I feel the same as that guy and I've been listening to it since the mid 90's.   

There we go.

"yet here we are hearing the same thing on his new single in 2018... I'm beyond bored of it."

"I look for those glimmers of past brilliance and I hear little glimpses in most of what he does...."

"doesn't have anywhere near the magic or innovation of his early to mid 90s output IMO..."

I'm not stuck in the past nor expecting that AFX's output should be what I want it to be.

I think we're going to have to agree to disagree here, but you are indeed expecting something you want and it's funny to watch you dance around it. 

He's not going to make music he did on his broken pieces of gear in a squat house anymore. I'm personally a huge fan of everything post Come to Daddy vs. before, so I'm somewhat biased.

There we go.

"yet here we are hearing the same thing on his new single in 2018... I'm beyond bored of it."

"I look for those glimmers of past brilliance and I hear little glimpses in most of what he does...."

"doesn't have anywhere near the magic or innovation of his early to mid 90s output IMO..."

I'm not stuck in the past nor expecting that AFX's output should be what I want it to be.

I think we're going to have to agree to disagree here, but you are indeed expecting something you want and it's funny to watch you dance around it. 

He's not going to make music he did on his broken pieces of gear in a squat house anymore. I'm personally a huge fan of everything post Come to Daddy vs. before, so I'm somewhat biased.

All of those comments are actually just me expressing my opinion. Nowhere in these comments am I suggesting what anyone else should think or what AFX should do.

where's another track that sounds like "Formula", like "Perc # 6", like "Aphex Airlines", like "Phlid", like "KTPA1", like "KTPA2", etc etc etc.....

fixt

This is why I rarely comment here.  Because there are just too many moronic kids who have an absolute shit comprehension on what good music is.  Music is not fucking video games. 

but bruh the collapse ep is much better then the on ep lmfao!!!

Archived