IGNORED

Original Analogue Bubblebath master DAT on Ebay

eh Speedy

Jokes and absurd price of this DAT aside, outside of that Caustic Window 2LP test pressing, what is the actual market for serious AFX memorabilia?

I have a friend who bought a couple of amazing pieces at not-too-crazy prices about 10-15 years ago... he's not looking to sell them or anything (he's definitely an Aphex/Rephlex collector), but I'm just wondering how much these are realistically worth:

- original label production DAT with "Phlaps" - DAT is in AFX's handwriting, presumably for this comp:

https://www.discogs.com/Various-Taking-Liberties/release/7810568

- Yamaha CS5 inscribed with SAW2 liner notes - probably the ultimate AFX collectible I'm guessing... should probably be in a museum!

Looks like these 2 items have been discussed here, and yes, I can confirm that it is one guy who owns both. He's a friend of mine in Toronto:

https://forum.watmm.com/topic/40490-inscribed-yamaha-cs-5/

I would think collection-wise, the CS5 would be the best, since it actually made the music versus a recording... It was listed on here awhile back (an auction too I think - perhaps your friend won it there?).

Markus "Notch" Persson (aka Minecraft Guy) owns a CAT 023 test pressing (the one used for the Caustic Window LP Kickstarter), as well as an Analogue Bubblebath 5 test pressing and the ONLY known test pressing of CAT 087 (aka Melodies from Mars) left.

Guest Chesney

The CS5 is kinda cool but I personally would be using the synth as the CS range is one of my favourites so the writing would not be seen, I could maybe brag about it to 1 maybe 2 people that I know when they visit if I was that kind of guy. I guess it's the fans that make these things prized. To me, it's a good synth, to some it's a piece of cherished gold to brag about, and to the majority of people it's a "what is it? and who?"

This DAT obviously has provenance but i'm not sure anyone cares. If one of you bought it, you'd be known as the dude who bought the DAT tape and pretty much only known on watmm or similar and probably equally taken the piss out of for paying such a price. Is that extremely minor celebrity tag enough to pay stupid amounts of money for something?

This Mark dude on ebay, regardless of whether he was the label owner and knows RDJ... is a complete Bellend! for asking such a ridiculous price.

Me being a fan but not a material fan i'd say he should start bids at £100 and let the fans dictate how much it's really worth. It certainly would not go anywhere near 10% of what he's asking.

I don't think his asking price was serious. I mean, I sure can't imagine that it was, he had to be just putting something ridiculous there to get attention, expecting to just field private offers via messages... Can't imagine that going for more than few thousand, if that. Especially given Rich's message sorta taking the steam out of things.

I would think collection-wise, the CS5 would be the best, since it actually made the music versus a recording... It was listed on here awhile back (an auction too I think - perhaps your friend won it there?).

Markus "Notch" Persson (aka Minecraft Guy) owns a CAT 023 test pressing (the one used for the Caustic Window LP Kickstarter), as well as an Analogue Bubblebath 5 test pressing and the ONLY known test pressing of CAT 087 (aka Melodies from Mars) left.

Shame he turned out to be such a wrong un on twitter. At least it's not shkreli buying it all up

The CS5 is kinda cool but I personally would be using the synth as the CS range is one of my favourites so the writing would not be seen, I could maybe brag about it to 1 maybe 2 people that I know when they visit if I was that kind of guy. I guess it's the fans that make these things prized. To me, it's a good synth, to some it's a piece of cherished gold to brag about, and to the majority of people it's a "what is it? and who?"

I think you are grossly underestimating the significance of this piece. It has RDJ's hand-etched liner notes to one of the most iconic electronic music albums of all-time on it. SAW2's domain is not limited us fan forum nerds - it's a landmark album. This CS5 museum worthy, and I imagine that is where it will end up, at some point.

I love the sound of the CS synths too - have myself a CS-30 which is the top of the line of the Yamaha CS monosynth range. CS5 sounds good but is very basic in it's functionality. Sound/functionality wise, I'd take a similarly-basic-but-way-better Roland SH-101 over a CS5 any day of the week.

I think ppl assume that because RDJ etched the SAW2 liner notes on this synth, that it must have been used on the album... I doubt it; I'm sure he had plenty of better synths to choose from, and prob chose the CS5 because he didn't really care about it too much.

The synth did get used however, by me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngA4saRMyNY

Perhaps some of you will remember slagging me off about it on this very forum... hehe

Guest Chesney

Yeah, I was sort of basing it on my lack on fandom so I wouldn't regard it as a museum piece. Others would though, like you and I don't disregard that.

I'm not sure what kind of museum we're talking about here but yeah, if there was some sort of UK muso Smithsonian type thing, maybe.

I have a CS30 too, glorious synth, use it alot. Probably my favourite filters ever, never was one for self osc res.

I'm not sure what kind of museum we're talking about here but yeah, if there was some sort of UK muso Smithsonian type thing, maybe.

There was a Oramics section in the Science Museum for a bit ( https://group.sciencemuseum.org.uk/our-work/research-public-history/research-projects/past-research-projects/oramics-to-electronica/ ) - They could've totally expanded it to a big 'Science of Music' but I think instead it's been removed

Yeah, I was sort of basing it on my lack on fandom so I wouldn't regard it as a museum piece.

could you maybe post a few more times in this thread? i'm really interested to hear your feelings on the matter.

I think you are grossly underestimating the significance of this piece. It has RDJ's hand-etched liner notes to one of the most iconic electronic music albums of all-time on it. SAW2's domain is not limited us fan forum nerds - it's a landmark album. This CS5 museum worthy, and I imagine that is where it will end up, at some point.

I love the sound of the CS synths too - have myself a CS-30 which is the top of the line of the Yamaha CS monosynth range. CS5 sounds good but is very basic in it's functionality. Sound/functionality wise, I'd take a similarly-basic-but-way-better Roland SH-101 over a CS5 any day of the week.

I think ppl assume that because RDJ etched the SAW2 liner notes on this synth, that it must have been used on the album... I doubt it; I'm sure he had plenty of better synths to choose from, and prob chose the CS5 because he didn't really care about it too much.

Perhaps some of you will remember slagging me off about it on this very forum... hehe

Ironic that you say how important SAW II is - it was one of Warner Bros' worst selling releases, and caused an internal memo to be issued that all ambient-style releases had to be approved before being considered for release.

Now, that's the US market - no idea how well (or not) it performed in the UK/ROW.

Ironic that you say how important SAW II is - it was one of Warner Bros' worst selling releases, and caused an internal memo to be issued that all ambient-style releases had to be approved before being considered for release.

Now, that's the US market - no idea how well (or not) it performed in the UK/ROW.

At a time when the US music market was decidedly less progressive, I'm not surprised.

- Yamaha CS5 inscribed with SAW2 liner notes - probably the ultimate AFX collectible I'm guessing... should probably be in a museum!

Looks like these 2 items have been discussed here, and yes, I can confirm that it is one guy who owns both. He's a friend of mine in Toronto:

Did this person used to live in Saint-John NB? I've heard tales of a person who had a jaw dropping collection of gear, including the Moog Modular that Carlos used to compose the Tron score, but then moved to Toronto possibly.

Guest Chesney

Yeah, I was sort of basing it on my lack on fandom so I wouldn't regard it as a museum piece.

could you maybe post a few more times in this thread? i'm really interested to hear your feelings on the matter.

Touche turtle

Well importance/significance don't always correspond to sales; Velvet Underground and Iggy and the Stooges were also commercial flops. I don't imagine Eno's ambient albums sold too well either...

Did this person used to live in Saint-John NB? I've heard tales of a person who had a jaw dropping collection of gear, including the Moog Modular that Carlos used to compose the Tron score, but then moved to Toronto possibly.

Nope, it's not the same person.

I think I know who that person is, though...!

i'm being told via an eBay message that the tape is no longer for sale, and that it sold for £0.99 [!!!] can anyone else confirm this? surely it's a mistake.

At a time when the US music market was decidedly less progressive, I'm not surprised.

That being said, five years later Warner reportedly paid Richard a 90,000.00 USD advance around the time of Windowlicker for the expected follow-up album (which ended up being DrukQs in 2001), so they certainly weren't soured on his other output!

Well importance/significance don't always correspond to sales; Velvet Underground and Iggy and the Stooges were also commercial flops. I don't imagine Eno's ambient albums sold too well either...

Aren’t you Jason? Don’t you own the CS5?

Aren’t you Jason? Don’t you own the CS5?

I am Jason. I made that 12" using that CS5, but I don't own it - my friend owns it and let me borrow it.

Archived