Join WATMM Now!

Register and Subscribe now for as little 3.00 USD for one year to gain Supporting Member access. We also have other subscription packages to choose from that grant you extra abilities and features.

A subscription is required in order to post, reply to posts, start topics, search, and other features.

By joining and subscribing, you are helping support the forums, as well enable us to add new features and enhancements (and maintain them).

Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

To sign up for a subscription package, click your user name in the upper right, and choose "Client Area". Then, choose a package that suits your needs.

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Day For Night Cuts Ties With Founder

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Hijexx

Hijexx

Recently Joined

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 381 posts
  • 14 topics
  • Joined 18-November 05

Posted 12 August 2018 - 07:41 PM

https://www.chron.co...al-13150673.php

There's no word yet on the future of the festival, which was last held in December.

"Out of respect for these alleged victims, any announcement about the future of Day For Night will be made at a later date," the festival's Facebook post said.

Hope this doesn't wind up stopping DFN, such a unique experience.

#2 zero

zero

Recently Joined

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 382 posts
  • 3 topics
  • Joined 16-October 06

Posted 13 August 2018 - 01:16 PM

No it won't affect it. Omar developed DFN with others in event planning/promotions that will continue on without him.

I'm from Houston and knew Omar back in the day. Sucks to hear this since more recently he's been instrumental in getting new venues up and running and bringing in a wider range of acts compared to what Houston used to get 10-15 years ago.

#3 Joyrex

Joyrex

Pipe up, I can't hear you

• Site Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,264 posts
  • 1,765 topics
  • Joined 03-June 99
  • SoundCloud URL:https://soundcloud.com/watmmofficial
  • Interests:annual percentage rate
  • PSN:Joyrex
  • Nintendo ID:Joyrex

Posted 13 August 2018 - 01:25 PM

Question is, can DfN (whoever is running it now) bring back the likes of Aphex, Squarepusher, Autechre (c'mon, their stuff is PERFECT for DfN), or even... BOC?

#4 zero

zero

Recently Joined

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 382 posts
  • 3 topics
  • Joined 16-October 06

Posted 13 August 2018 - 03:46 PM

Good question. I'm sure it will go on and continue to draw big acts, but turns out Omar apparently had a lot to do with getting Aphex there:

https://www.dallasob...3-years-8972057

So what strings did Afra pull to get Aphex Twin to give his first U.S. performance in 23 years at Day for Night? He says it was only a matter of persistence. "My last festival I was partnered with some music industry sacred cows and I would go to my partners on the regular and say, 'Well, what about Aphex Twin this year? It will be such a big deal.' I was always shot down with, 'Oh, it won’t work. He won’t play.'

"A couple years ago I started pestering Aphex Twins’ agent, so really it was about persistence and not being dismayed by getting unanswered emails. Eventually after a whole lot of prodding — maybe just to shut me up — they said, 'OK, let’s make this happen.'"