IGNORED

how much money do successful electronica artists make

dingformung

IIRC Autechre said something to the effect that they make enough money not to have day jobs.

Richard probably makes some big bucks from live performances and licensing. Tens of thousands per gig or something like that?

IIRC Autechre said something to the effect that they make enough money not to have day jobs.

Richard probably makes some big bucks from live performances and licensing. Tens of thousands per gig or something like that?

I seem to remember reading somewhere a range from 20-50k and how outrageous that was since people like Tiesto could make 2 million or more from a single show. I hope he makes more than that though. afx, not tiesto.

But I have no idea where I read that.

edit: it was probably on these hurr forums actually.

You can make a nice living from streams these days if you get it right. Spotify, YouTube, Apple Music etc...get on all of them and into the hundreds of thousands of streams per month and you could easily not need a day job. Not talking millions or anything but a 2 or 3 grand a month is realistic if you manage to get on some major playlists.

One of the AE guys implied they were doing pretty well for themselves when someone brought it up in AAA. Just guessing probably less than 100k a year each but probably not too far from it. Aphex must be doing pretty damned well, probably quarter or half a mil a year or something. Totally just making these number up of course, I know literally nothing.

You can make a nice living from streams these days if you get it right. Spotify, YouTube, Apple Music etc...get on all of them and into the hundreds of thousands of streams per month and you could easily not need a day job. Not talking millions or anything but a 2 or 3 grand a month is realistic if you manage to get on some major playlists.

36 mentioned this. Streaming is very divisive, I know folks who put out stuff on more underground labels and distros who are dead set against it and see not financial gain in distributing their stuff on Spotify whereas others feel like it's inevitable it will be the dominant platform so it's time to jump on.

Wonder what motor Aphex has got? Like, I know he's got a tank and everything but what does he go to the shops in? Has he got a shit hot BMW or something? Range Rover?

I believe Daft Punk are the wealthiest, $120 million combined net worth.

I doubt it - read the forbes wealthiest DJs list and some of these guys are raking in way more than 40 million USD a year. Apparently some Calvin Harris made 66 Million last year?

Surely that's more than daft punk?

36 mentioned this. Streaming is very divisive, I know folks who put out stuff on more underground labels and distros who are dead set against it and see not financial gain in distributing their stuff on Spotify whereas others feel like it's inevitable it will be the dominant platform so it's time to jump on.

I say do both... Do some limited underground vinyl only releases and get on the streaming platforms. Maximise revenue. Clinch the big deal. Agile working.

I'm actually a bit annoyed at this. I like them just fine but they were rich kids originally and they don't exactly do much live. They are a brand above all else at this point. KISS of electronica, not in ethos or music but in the merchandise aspect.

Always wondered that about Boards of Canada. They don't tour, don't put out a record every year or two, have kids, a studio, houses, expensive gear.. They probably have a side job somewhere  :boc:  could see them in a kindergarten in the woods maybe.

about 2$ a month

u saw my bank statements didn't u

Wonder what motor Aphex has got? Like, I know he's got a tank and everything but what does he go to the shops in? Has he got a shit hot BMW or something? Range Rover?

Probably makes his wife or a friend drive him around, he doesn't seem like the get a nice car and cruise type

I say do both... Do some limited underground vinyl only releases and get on the streaming platforms. Maximise revenue. Clinch the big deal. Agile working.

Yep, 36 has posted some very insightful stuff on FB about this. I have a buddy who works with MatthewDavid at Leaving Records and they are pivoting toward streaming as well. It started off as a cassette label but they have distro through Stones Throw so it's interesting to see a move toward streaming. Maximize exposure and revenue like you said.

sometime ago in aphex interview he said something about he made enough off royalties from stuff that he wishes someone would just buy his record for $250k and not have to deal w/royalty checks anymore.. something like that.. it was more than 10 years ago i read that.. can't recall.. but i'm sure SAW1/2 made big royalties for him. squarepusher apparently never has to work again.. or that's the gossip around the watercooler.  

honestly have no idea and have no idea how anyone makes a dollar off music unless they're sponsored by coke or pepsi or bepis or meme economy. 

i think the big names like BoC, autechre, aphex etc. have the loyal fans who always buy the thing they release so they can count on that. i know i've paid for Ae music in multiple formats over the years, bought repressings, bought files, bought special editions etc.. and there are more obsessed fans than me so i hope they're doing well because i need new ae every so often until i die.

you know they say old person getting a pet makes them live long because they have reason to go on?? well.. Ae music works like that.

dank!

I doubt it - read the forbes wealthiest DJs list and some of these guys are raking in way more than 40 million USD a year. Apparently some Calvin Harris made 66 Million last year?

I wouldn't doubt it, his face is plastered all over Las Vegas.

STEVE AOKI – Net Worth $55 Million.

PAUL OAKENFOLD – Net Worth $56 Million.

DAFT PUNK – Net Worth $60 million.

DAVID GUETTA –Net worth $60 Million.

DJ TIESTO – Net Worth $150 Million.

CALVIN HARRIS – Net Worth $170-190 Million.

Although I wouldn't really count DJs as "artists" unless they produce original music. By artists I mean musicians, any music is art really.

*these net worths are estimates and vary wildly depending on where you look

I'm sure I read somewhere a few weeks ago Mr James was worth an estimated $12 million

BOC are obviously loaded and sell records just for beer tokens, lucky lads

I wouldn't doubt it, his face is plastered all over Las Vegas.

STEVE AOKI – Net Worth $55 Million.

PAUL OAKENFOLD – Net Worth $56 Million.

DAFT PUNK – Net Worth $60 million.

DAVID GUETTA –Net worth $60 Million.

DJ TIESTO – Net Worth $150 Million.

CALVIN HARRIS – Net Worth $170-190 Million.

Although I wouldn't really count DJs as "artists" unless they produce original music. By artists I mean musicians, any music is art really.

*these net worths are estimates and vary wildly depending on where you look

Actually yeah, really fair point. I agree. 

Archived