IGNORED

Low - Double Negative

ventolin68

Bought tix to see them live in March 2019. Gonna plow through their entire discog before then!

The live show has gotten to almost complete perfection in the last few years. So tight. So confident. As beautiful as the records but louder and more intense and in your face.

For those new to Low, Secret Name is the first album I listened to and was just blown the fuck away. I celebrate the bands entire catalog at this point. But Double Negative was the Low album I was waiting for. Dirty and intense and different like Drums and Guns felt, but dark and harsh like Secret Name and Curtain Hits The Cast. 1000 Stars. Tempest is my current favorite track. It has everything. That volume level is my shit.

i've been seeing them live for 20 years now. still prefer the early albums, but listen to most of them pretty regularly. quite surprised, given how mimi seemed to frown upon alan's noisy takes on some tracks when played live pre-'drums and guns', that they've done what's essentially a noise album now. the side project he & steve do seemed to be an outlet for that side of what they'd like to play, but now they've embraced or accepted noise can be used more heavily in low to balance the quietness that is probably too expected by too many. everything else seemed so calm by comparison, now seems like a foundation for a gradual increase in the range.

Bought tix to see them live in March 2019. Gonna plow through their entire discog before then!

The live show has gotten to almost complete perfection in the last few years. So tight. So confident. As beautiful as the records but louder and more intense and in your face.

For those new to Low, Secret Name is the first album I listened to and was just blown the fuck away. I celebrate the bands entire catalog at this point. But Double Negative was the Low album I was waiting for. Dirty and intense and different like Drums and Guns felt, but dark and harsh like Secret Name and Curtain Hits The Cast. 1000 Stars. Tempest is my current favorite track. It has everything. That volume level is my shit.

• 2 weeks later...

This is fucking phenomenal. Best of 2018 for sure. Haven't been stunned by a Low album since Things We Lost in the Fire but this one is on a wholly different level. Stunning work. The distortion and noise and discordance is so fucking lush. Unbelievable.

Yes, this is a great album. Reminds me of Locust/Mark Van Hoen. Beautiful and bleak.

Best of 2018 for sure.

Agreed. And that's quite saying something for a year that brought us new ae and Voivod, two of my fav acts of all time.

After some months of binging this record i'm practicing abstinence a bit cos 1. i don't wanna wear it out and 2. "man it's bringing me down" :(

Archived