IGNORED

Are Old Tunes Vol. 1 and 2 Vaporwave prototypes?

zlemflolia

I say was because vaporwave has been dead since 2014 or whenever it became some anticap bs genre..

your chronology is a bit off. Internet Club coined the term "Vaporwave" while referencing both vaporware and the quote from Marx's Communist Manifesto "all that is solid melts into air."

short reminder

the politics of it didnt become an integral part of it until later, as it went to shit

I'd say the "political commentary" aspect (and I agree with joshuatx, it was very superficial) was near absent by ~2014. There was a kind of "anti-music" approach that characterized the early stuff, like complete trash music, "cultural detritus". And like joshuatx mentioned, the concept of musical "hauntology", past futures that never were, etc. That was all vaguely present from the beginning rather than "later". Jus sayin.

I say was because vaporwave has been dead since 2014 or whenever it became some anticap bs genre..

your chronology is a bit off. Internet Club coined the term "Vaporwave" while referencing both vaporware and the quote from Marx's Communist Manifesto "all that is solid melts into air."short reminder
the politics of it didnt become an integral part of it until later, as it went to shit

I'd say the "political commentary" aspect (and I agree with joshuatx, it was very superficial) was near absent by ~2014. There was a kind of "anti-music" approach that characterized the early stuff, like complete trash music, "cultural detritus". And like joshuatx mentioned, the concept of musical "hauntology", past futures that never were, etc. That was all vaguely present from the beginning rather than "later". Jus sayin.

tell that to all the trendy commie youtubers, vw facebook groups etc.. the whole term reeks of political commentary now.

more of a reason to keep the lovely old tunes as far away as possible from this shitty label.

and as an addendum to that, it seems like there is a direct correlation between people touting a 'new' genre as some revolutionary thing and attaching a lot of philosophical baggage onto it with the genre becoming quickly deluded and turned into pop within a few years. I'm thinking Hakim Bey talking up rave as some kind of anarchist tool of resistance, or Kode9 referring to dubstep as accelerationist "sonic warfare" for example. The more tryhard and chin-strokey the "concept" of the genre, the more easily it falls apart.

your chronology is a bit off. Internet Club coined the term "Vaporwave" while referencing both vaporware and the quote from Marx's Communist Manifesto "all that is solid melts into air."short reminder

tell that to all the trendy commie youtubers, vw facebook groups etc.. the whole term reeks of political commentary now.

more of a reason to keep the lovely old tunes as far away as possible from this shitty label.

90% of them probably don't even know who Internet Club is, half probably never listened to Eccojams or even Floral Shoppe start to finish. It's like dubstep all over again, you have a genre/scene so re-appropriated and historically detached from it's origins that the originators and current fans have virtually no relation to it other. Sucks and frustrating as fuck but I'm not going to stop using the term as it was intended and as it meant originally when the label was associated with this exciting and novel microgenre.

aye I get ya, and I'm fine with the idea that old tunes captures a similar feel to the original vaporwave stuff and to whatever is now known as vaporwave.. but that def doesn't make the old tunes or boards of canada vaporwave, this the distinction I wanna keep

Archived