IGNORED

Lorn - Remnant - September 5

jules

REMNANT sounds like what I imagine a derelict old gothic church to sound like, as it creeks and cracks through the ages. Tall oaken doors with a series of mechanical locks clunking open, walking through shrouded arched columns as the cold atmosphere inside tightens around your limbs. Fucking dope.

• 3 weeks later...

^ aye, great sound design.

the immediate standout tracks like L'Appel du Vide and Memory Management have that signature Lorn feel that makes them instantly recognisable. overall the 'album' is living up to what I'd hoped for but I just wish there was more. I want it to have twice as many tracks as it does, given the shorter average length of each track.

I'm guessing he has a pretty strict quality control thought process for what ends up on the album and what ends up on offcut compilations, cos there's lots more floating around on the latter tip (e.g. Self Confidence vols). there's some gold to be found there too but they're generally not as cohesive or as consistent.

^ aye, great sound design.

the immediate standout tracks like L'Appel du Vide and Memory Management have that signature Lorn feel that makes them instantly recognisable. overall the 'album' is living up to what I'd hoped for but I just wish there was more. I want it to have twice as many tracks as it does, given the shorter average length of each track.

I'm guessing he has a pretty strict quality control thought process for what ends up on the album and what ends up on offcut compilations, cos there's lots more floating around on the latter tip (e.g. Self Confidence vols). there's some gold to be found there too but they're generally not as cohesive or as consistent.

I love the high standards he clearly sets for himself. After listening through Remnant (very very loudly), I went back and listened through his past EPs and albums and was struck by just how much he has progressed. Not just experimenting and changing, but he straight up moves from very enjoyable but brainfeedery-sound early work through to Remnant in progressive steps of maturity and uniqueness of sound. Remnant is one of the best things I’ve heard, end to end, in a while.

I'm, sadly, pretty underwhelmed by this. It 'sounds' great, of course, but I'm not getting much emotion or attitude from it, especially given that this is Lorn and that's really his strengths, imo. Maybe my expectations are clouding things, but I've listened two or three times now and couldn't even finish once, just got bored with it. Not damning it but just not feeling it right now. Loved the maze to nowhere stuff, this feels like that but without any direction or emotion behind it? Will keep trying though, this is Lorn, he's great...i'm just worried stuff like this of his is too concerned with sound design details and lacks some heart....maybe it's just me...i'll shut up now lol

Haha, I just biked in to say I think that this is some of his best stuff yet. Maze to Nowhere is amazing, yea, but I’m getting much more emotion out of this. It’s so slow and dark and cathartic. It’s like a big blob that slowly oozes out of the speakers and the sound is impeccable. I was curious as to how it would sound as I read he took time off to get sober, but I think he crushed this. I’m super happy for him and he has my support 100%.

Edited by jules

I'm, sadly, pretty underwhelmed by this. It 'sounds' great, of course, but I'm not getting much emotion or attitude from it, especially given that this is Lorn and that's really his strengths, imo. Maybe my expectations are clouding things, but I've listened two or three times now and couldn't even finish once, just got bored with it. Not damning it but just not feeling it right now. Loved the maze to nowhere stuff, this feels like that but without any direction or emotion behind it? Will keep trying though, this is Lorn, he's great...i'm just worried stuff like this of his is too concerned with sound design details and lacks some heart....maybe it's just me...i'll shut up now lol

its not even 40 minutes long, and some of the stronger material is at the end. You should try and sit it through, for Lorn's sake

its not even 40 minutes long, and some of the stronger material is at the end. You should try and sit it through, for Lorn's sake

Sorry I worded that a big funny, I've heard all of the album but just can't sit through it all at once without getting really bored with it. 

but I'm not getting much emotion or attitude from it

baffling

It may just be me I'm starting to question my own taste lately tbh

Haha, I just biked in to say I think that this is some of his best stuff yet. Maze to Nowhere is amazing, yea, but I’m getting much more emotion out of this. It’s so slow and dark and cathartic. It’s like a big blob that slowly oozes out of the speakers and the sound is impeccable. I was curious as to how it would sound as I read he took time off to get sober, but I think he crushed this. I’m super happy for him and he has my support 100%.

hm had heard anything about him getting sober or whatever. My normal reaction might be get back on the drugs but this really sounds like everything he's been doing for the last few years anyway...which I really liked (only thing I haven't liked has been that Ninja Tune album, was pretty underwhelmed by that one for the most part, that's been years ago now). The 'sound' is amazing no doubt.

hm had heard anything about him getting sober or whatever. My normal reaction might be get back on the drugs but this really sounds like everything he's been doing for the last few years anyway...which I really liked (only thing I haven't liked has been that Ninja Tune album, was pretty underwhelmed by that one for the most part, that's been years ago now). The 'sound' is amazing no doubt.

here...

it took a lot for me to finish this record. it's the first one i've ever made sober and remotely healthy in mind and body. i don't remember much of making NOTHING ELSE, remember nothing of making ASK THE DUST, and a few rare moments here and there of THE MAZE TO NOWHERE and VESSEL. so many years lost or willfully and recklessly thrown away because of alcohol and/or drug abuse. over a decade of isolation, daily panic attacks and just delaying or worsening the depression, anxiety and who the fuck knows what else. so many times nearly giving up.

but creating, fighting through and finishing REMNANT marks the beginning of something new. i can feel it. it's a worn old 3-sided koin that i ripped out of the noise and have tossed down the well with a wish. now it is falling and falling and falling and falling until you might catch it.

i hope you enjoy it, take time to find its hidden shapes and discover things i could not see.

it's out on bandcamp NOW and should be available on spotify, google play, itunes, amazon, etc tomorrow.

thank you to my beautiful son and wife, the few friends and family members that've had my back

and thank you for your respect and support as listeners and fans. 

i could not and would not do this without all of you.

lorn / marcos

(stay tuned for more in early 2019 because i'm not fucking stopping now.)

[

I'm pleased for him. Definitely one of his most rounded works to date, taking elements from his MtN works, coupled with some DRUGS and the more atmospheric scopes that feature throughout Vessel. 

It sounds so crisp.

• 6 months later...