IGNORED

Like Vibert, U-Ziq, DJ Food - Soundcrash, November 16, 2018

Rubin Farr

• 2 months later...

I was there. It took a good few hours to fill up. Most people were chilling out to begin with. By 11pm there were 5 of us upstairs dancing to some u-Ziq classics. He was hiding behind a lot of equipment. When it started to fill up he put the smoke machine on full blast. He went

into some more hardcore stuff and just as we were getting into it he was swiftly swapped out for DJ Food.

The AFX logo projected onto the wall behind Kev and got a big cheer. I can't remember what he started with, but people soon piled in from up the stairwell as ON started playing, slowly mixing into D-scape. The visuals were as you might expect: flickering, abstract aphexian imagery with the occasional disturbing face.

Various tracks from the Analogue Bubblebath series were followed by a lush mix/remix of Heliosphan (probably my highlight of the night) and some harsh Caustic Window material. I admit I wasn't paying much attention to the the visuals at that point, but when he put on one or two tracks from Collapse, the scene morphed into a wonderful flyover of computer generated cityscapes and countryscapes in the style of the Collapse artwork. Both tracks from the '2 Remixes' record made an appearance, and then (although I'm quite unsure of the order now) quite a bit of drill'n'bass stuff.

It was so packed that all my attention was designated to finding the most peaceful place to stand when DJ Food bid us his farewell and Like Vibert took over. For some reason I was expecting to hear something actually produced by Luke Vibert, but it was a DJ set (meaning Mike was the only one playing his own material) which was not at all disappointing. A typical mix of well-loved classics and forgotten gems. A bit of FSOL's Accelerator and LFO's We Are Back were stand-out moments for me.

I don't know who was DJing downstairs but it was top-notch for the brief time I was down there, which was at the very beginning before I realised the advertised line-up of acts were going to be upstairs all night. The speakers sounded a bit better downstairs. A few people I spoked to told me they were sad to have missed u-Ziq since the timings of each of the acts were only listed on a poster inside and almost everyone showed up very late. I heard that people without ID were being turned back so maybe that had something to do with it.

If you want more specific details about the Food set, ask me while it's still fresh in my mind. In the unlikely event that someone recorded the entire thing, I would love to experience it again. For anyone else who was there, I was the guy in the red shirt and grey suit jacket (feeling quite overdressed for the occasion).

Archived