IGNORED

The Caretaker - Everywhere at the end of time - Stage Five

someguy

https://thecaretaker.bandcamp.com/

No artwork or preorder available yet, it seems.

However the description at the bottom of the Bandcamp page has updated:

STAGE 5 WILL BE RELEASED AT 5PM GMT ON THE 20th OF SEPTEMBER.

Stage 5 - Released on September 20th 2018
Post-Awareness Stage 5 confusions and horror.
More extreme entanglements, repetition and rupture can give way to
calmer moments. The unfamiliar may sound and feel familiar.
Time is often spent only in the moment leading to isolation.

So excited for this, Stage Four was absolutely wild. Cannot wait to see where this goes.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Damn, I haven't even gone through stage 4 because -life-. Gotta get busy listening!

I've still held off on Stage 4 in case there's a 'stages 4-6' CD release like he did with 1-3

Damn, I haven't even gone through stage 4 because -life-. Gotta get busy listening!

I've still held off on Stage 4 in case there's a 'stages 4-6' CD release like he did with 1-3

Wtf, did I miss stage four?!

Yeah, it got lost in the wake of the NTS sessions, stage 4 is truly a dessent into madness and currently aoty for me.. very intrigued as to where it will go from here

threads:

https://forum.watmm.com/topic/94992-the-caretaker-everywhere-at-the-end-of-time-stage-four/

https://forum.watmm.com/topic/91582-the-caretaker-everywhere-at-the-end-of-time

I finally listened to it. This is so incredibly good. So well made. It's frightening and eerie but beautiful and sad too.

There are moments where the atmosphere of the music is balancing between feel-good and feel-bad. It's very delicate. It makes me think of when i'm falling asleep with nice thoughts and feeling blissful but having that feeling interrupted by thoughts of worry or other negativity.

• 2 weeks later...

Gonna do stage 4 tonight

gl man, is a wild trip

do report back ur experiences!

A few thoughts as I listen......

It is an intensely paranoid experience.

Best heard via headphones to get the full left/right mix effects.

Post Awareness Confusions 1

Surface noise / vinyl crackles and distant drones that phase in and out of audibility, growing in volume as the track progresses.

Most of the time the left and right channels offer completely different sounds - just a common dissonant droning "wash" that is deep in the mix.

Fleeting moments of recognition from previous stages - pitched, chopped and subtly sampled.

Jumbled repetition from multiple sources at a fairly "high" tempo in the foreground, "low" tempo droning nausea in the background.

A Lynchian dream sequence.

Post Awareness Confusions 2

Stuttering cut samples of repeating melodies from previous stages split between left/right channels and constantly jumping from one to the other - disturbing.

More surface noise!

A dense dread builds and pushes the melodies into the background, before they return and takeover again, then disappear.

Almost silence for a moment as the background droning ambience takes control.  Waves? Distant cathedral reverb? A few cut samples leak back in to the mix.

15 minutes in - wow.  Really creepy horror movie style string sounds and droning crashes / hissing.

Temporary Bliss State

As expected, a more upbeat beginning with wind chime style sounds / possible xylophone? Still cut between channels and phased around, not easy music by any stretch of the imagination.  Just more positive in tone but very confused.

Deeply saddening if this is the bliss state.  I think this is what "Candie" from Twin Peaks hears when she stares into space.  A fantasy mix of light tones and nothingness.

Post Awareness Confusions 3

Moody slow droning darkness

More surface noise!

Less cut up, samples seem longer and audible as instrumentation and melodies but still deeply confused / dissonant.

Longer held notes drifting along in the conventional "drone music" sense.

It suddenly ends - a traditional Caretaker trick so I have learnt.

I really hope Stage 5 has more sudden moments of silence, those really caught me off guard when it was just suddenly only surface noise or just a very faint buzz. So freaking hyped.

yeah definetly.. first time I heard it was round 1am n I was super tired, when the 15 min mark of track 2 hit I swear to jeebus man... never experienced nothin like that w music b4

Archived