IGNORED

Yves Tumor - Safe in the Hands of Love

markedone

Longtime Yves Tumor fan here (since hearing Limerence in 2015). Really enjoyed his last album, which I think hit a magical and intensely personal chord. Unfortunately, it sounds to me that this newest album loses a lot of the charm, magic, and mystery of his previous albums. I found myself listening and waiting for it to take off, but it never really did. At times it felt like there was mostly filler stuffed into things; the vocals were often a distraction and the soundstage cluttered. Perhaps being signed to Warp led to overproduction of tracks? I am definitely not writing off this artist. I am excited to hear what is next, as I believe they are truly talented and have tons of potential. Reminds me maybe of Actress going from Ghettoville to AZD...

Gotta agree, i don't mind his vocals at all but some of the magic is def lost. Mount kimbie is a good example of this. Love the debut album but then they sign to warp and they make an album with guest vocals to make it a bit more mainstream wich turns out ok but meh compared to the old stuff. Do enjoy this album tough, i hope he makes a lot of new fans and i'm excited for future releases

I dunno why I like this but I do, it's a nice out there album that's poppy and experimental without being totally out there or in your face - very much the opposite of the SOPHIE album. Something about this I find a lot more engaging though. It's kind like of Arca or any of the post-grime/witch house/etc artists like Lotic or Rabit decided to try something a bit less jarring.

that "recognizing the enemy" track is hilarious. vocals are so bad.

Well I'll be damned, I really liked that track.

Mezzanine/Unkle.

I was thinking this myself. 

If Dean Blunt contributed to them, then yes.

Licking an Orchid is such a great track, the vocals just work so well with the production on that one.  On headphones, I keep finding myself wanting to turn it up louder to get 'deeper' into the track's headspace.

I've only had time to listen through the album once, and while i found it a bit all over the place on first listen, i think it'll grow on me in the same way that serpent music did

• 2 months later...

sooo.... i know a lot of yo guys don't like this album but it has grown a lot on me and now i love this album (except that one track in the middle, ugh).

I think his voice blends as an instrument realy nice with the music. Didn't do anything with me at first but i purchased the album and decided not to give up and keep listening.

so what do you guys think, did you give it another chance or lol?

i actually listened to it twice. it just wasn't good. production was poor, song construction was poor, lyrics and singing were godawful. no reason to ever listen to this when any other music exists. that's my take. fairly appalling that warp released this and bleep is ranking this as the 4th best this year.

if you're interested in being woke *and* a hipster, where you treat music as cultural capital to lord over other POS hipsters who look exactly like you- then this is your shit. a queer POC who makes "arty" electronic music but is still just whining about w/e. a perfect fit for brooklyn denizens who are a bit above soundcloud rap but still  don't actually have any taste in music nor any desire to think about music in any sort of critical, substantive way. this release completes a lot of those checkboxes you need before you can safely "rep" this on your instagram story. I feel similarly about SOPHIE's album this year although I will admit the music was better. I'm only bringing up these identity descriptors because they are in a weird way selling the music. Under no circumstances do I think that being queer and or black is a bad thing (obviously), or that makes your music worse or that marginalized identities should be discouraged from making popular music. we shouldn't begrudge any and all success either. However this effort fell well short of successful and interesting music. If bleep feels like they have an obligation to include queer and poc artists on their roster of best of the year, i would suggest mr finger's incredible album from the spring. wow is that an album that keeps getting better. 

but lopez, this album also gets better and you said you only listened twice. Looks like you are missing out a lot of music if you judge it on 2 listens dude :cat:

Even if you don't like it, don't be so mean, it's a good artist who put a lot of work in it and i'm glad they hyped it else i would have missed out and i realy like it.

and fuck yeah, i'm woke and hip :w00t:

I think it's totally fair to hate this album, or to be totally indifferent to it and amazed by the gulf between your reaction and the degree of praise this is getting, or to think it's completely lacking in anything you found good in his previous music.  But I've been listening to a lot of music this year, and this is up there with my most listened, and I think it does have some stuff to offer people who are interested in it beyond hipster cool points.  Maybe I warped my tastes as a kid in my nu-metal phase, but I actually really like the vocals.  Stuff like the emo soundcloud rap or just emo in general, I'm usually like "maybe dial it down a notch", and I think he actually was able to pull of dialing it down a notch through his use of multitracking.  Like it's most noticeable on Licking an Orchid where he has the one take that's super subdued and then the other that's more openly emotional sounding on top of it.  But there's also stuff like Recognizing the Enemy, all the times he says "helllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll" or "sellllllllllllllllllllllllllllf", there's all these little differences between the individual recordings that float up in the stereo space in an interesting way.  Like there's something to the constructed nature of it that puts it all at a more reasonable difference so that he's not crying directly in your face.  And then the percussion has a lot of cool stuff going on too.

I'm always a bit wary of stating WHY someone else likes some music I don't, even if it does seem to be pretentiousness or tokenism.

Thing is, at least 3/4 of the people I know (including most of my family and my wife) think something like confield for example can not be possibly enjoyed on any level, and as such I must have other reasons for listening to it.

I think the Yves Tumour album is pretty dreadful but I'm sure there are people out there who genuinely like it, and not just because they want to fill some imaginary quota on their record shelf. More power to 'em.

Remember when people loved Animal Collective and Pet Sounds by the Beach Boys(wtf), and online music journalists would always try to compare the vocals of Panda Bear to the vocals of Brian Wilson, and wow how much mileage can we get out of writing this over and over again and yeah a lot of music was made to be popular as a social experiment or some shit. Be aware, stay frosty

• 7 months later...

Okey dokey, currently sat in the middle of track 7

I rather quite like it. Noid and Lifetime on first test run seemed really good indeed. Though some tracks had my fingertip hovering over the skip button.

Hahah Dr Lopez it seems I won't be joining your coven of hate towards this album!!

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, this had the Blanck Mass effect on me

Though give credit to Blanck Mass, it took a lot longer for me to wise up on that World Eater album than this album. Sometimes I think something comes along which is a little weird and odd and by it's nature you sit and listen and ride on something similar to a crest of a wave

Wow, second play this was fucking dreadful flol

(And so it seems The Coven grows stronger)

• 6 months later...

Absolutely love this album. Discovered it around the time it was released when I saw that he was the support act for the sadboys and drain gang show in London in late 2018 (he also produced 2 tracks on ecco2k's latest album). The whole album feels very tight and so fresh, especially economy of freedom, noid, licking an orchid, lifetime and honesty.

Shame he took Serpent Music off of spotify cause 'the feeling when you walk away' is such a nice track.

Archived