IGNORED

WATMM Probe on Autechre "generative" software release

eczem

I would love more than anything to get ahold of Autechre's hard drive, but I think it would spell the death of their career because their attraction isn't only their output but also the mystery of their software and programming. Maybe when they retire?

no.

Autechre retirement party featuring hard drives:

bonfire-1200x800_c.png

I would love more than anything to get ahold of Autechre's hard drive, but I think it would spell the death of their career because their attraction isn't only their output but also the mystery of their software and programming. Maybe when they retire?

Nah, i think that's mostly a Watmmspergers thing rly. Also there's so much more to their sound than the design n colors n shit, i don't believe their patches fart out l3 cntrls just to anyone.

It's a cool idea, I agree. Though I really doubt that I'd be able to "play" their software as well as they could, in terms of making it do interesting things or even just noticing when it's doing something interesting. And granted, it's nice that it would always sound different, but isn't that already true of Bob and Sam's fully "composed" music?* For me it would be more interesting in a 'looking under the hood' kind of way than as a novel musical experience... probably.

*edit: i just meant perceptually ofc, obviously it's not literally musically different each time like this would be

Yeah, you make a good point here. One of my favorite things about AE recordings is unearthing new details upon repeated listens, all from static recordings. But yeah, I'm not really sure I would want an interactive component with myself and their music, as much as I'd like to hear potential variations of tracks.

They can't really do this because it will be reverse engineered and if it's using any shared library or monolithic functions, people will find them.  If they obfuscated the Max/MSP script and embedded it in something it will still be reverse engineered trivially.  There is no way to avoid reverse engineering without a super complex metamorphic engine but this will affect the result because the generation of the music is time-based and metamorphic modification of the executable will change timings.

Sean or Rob, forgot who, said they don't want others to have their software and be able to make Autechre style music

I don't know that much about reverse engineering from an exectuable/binary. I've done a disassembler programming project from binary to assembly instructions, so I know the next step is decompiling. Seems arduous when you could just experiment with Max/MSP/Gen yourself.

A bit depressing to think about, to be honest. Maybe a work around would be to keep the exectuable on a server and make the player stream-based, but i realize that comes with a new set of limitations.

Archived