IGNORED

Interesting places via Google Earth

Soloman Tump

I thought there was a thread already but I searched and cannot find one.

Didcot Power Station

https://goo.gl/maps/KnFaNfkbk9P2

This is the power station near where I live that they were demolishing, but it collapsed after some explosives went off prematurely.  People died.  You can see the piles of rubble they have begun to sort into steel / concrete / cables etc.  Cooling towers and other demolished sites are nearby too.

The Magic Roundabout in Swindon

https://goo.gl/maps/6G6E5T44NPz

This will freak out the Americans of the board...

A central roundabout surrounded by 5 smaller roundabouts.  Fun to traverse! Just keep going!

Is it difficult to explore round Didcot power station?

Probably still yes, given it was a major accident / potential crime scene. Not been down there in a while but as it is still an active site id say there would be 24 hour guards / dog patrols / cctv to contend with. Other than that, fill yer boots! Would be an awesome place to explore and get photos...

Man, I used to browse Google Earth endlessly years ago at this computer lab proctor job I had. One day I just followed this Australian outback road that crossed the desert from Alice Springs to the coast, it was so vacant that the only landmarks were gas depots and an occasional village every 100-200km or so.

Lately I play around with Google Earth's time feature and see how much Austin and other places I've lived have changed since 1995

Some of my favorite places to view are airports and air bases - Edwards AFB is pretty cool, has a giant compass painted on a dry lake and there's a plethora of secretive sites to browse in the Nellis Test Range: atomic test craters, a fake DPRK airfield and bombing ranges. There's this scale model of the topography of part of China in one of their military bases - literally a google map aerial within a google map aerial

Good blog here

This is interesting google street view compilation by Jon Rafman

Also, you can't look it up anymore because France and other countries have blurred their military bases out, but this was on a hanger at a French Air Base

cazaux%2Bsmall%2Bdicks%2B2.jpg

Two theories:

1. They are taunting whoever took the satellite image 

2. Prank on a specific squadron - notably this base hosted a Singaporean training unit so perhaps they were the target.

Is it difficult to explore round Didcot power station?

Probably still yes, given it was a major accident / potential crime scene. Not been down there in a while but as it is still an active site id say there would be 24 hour guards / dog patrols / cctv to contend with. Other than that, fill yer boots! Would be an awesome place to explore and get photos...

Might investigate this, cheers, obviously seen the power station but wasn't aware of the incident. I work at Milton Park so it's not too far either.

Archived