IGNORED

If There Are Audio Issues With Your Collapse EP Vinyl

Joyrex

figured i might just buy another one from the local store basically as a lottery ticket. don't have the gumption to follow through with warp if they're just gonna send a new record. frustrating because 1st 44 and MT1 are some of the best shit i've heard in a while and i want it on the hifi

• 2 weeks later...

Finally opened my copy. It has the problems some folks have been talking about but I'm going to keep it as is. Sounds like the replacement copies are having the same problem anyway.

Yeah, I don't even bother reporting the defected copy.

My replacement copy turned up today. Pressing defects still present, but perhaps not as pronounced as on my first copy. Or maybe I’ve developed presbycusis since last listening to my first copy.

daddy

I shoulda said, in the end the test pressings for collapse passed, we got there.

I heard people had trouble with them and thats a shame, I've listened to 3 from first batch and they were all absolutely fine.

daddy

I always clean my vinyl with a pro cleaner BEFORE i even play them first time, as you get swarf or whatever its called on first few plays of brand new vinyl and if you are precious about your stylus, you should clean that crap out of new records before you play them.

I've made test recordings of brand new records into the computer before and after cleaning and the difference can be dramatic.

daddy

I shoulda said, in the end the test pressings for collapse passed, we got there.

I heard people had trouble with them and thats a shame, I've listened to 3 from first batch and they were all absolutely fine.

daddy

I always clean my vinyl with a pro cleaner BEFORE i even play them first time, as you get swarf or whatever its called on first few plays of brand new vinyl and if you are precious about your stylus, you should clean that crap out of new records before you play them.

I've made test recordings of brand new records into the computer before and after cleaning and the difference can be dramatic.

pack it up folks, diatoms has the solution, pressing is actually fine, close the thread

you remember rdj is daddy, span?

i got a record that only had clicks and pops on it and no music. it's deece.

normies: what's that you're listening to?

me: aphex twin

normies: all i hear is clicks and pops and no music...

^^^true story...

btw, does this happen only with the pre-orders or the copies on stores also have this problem?

Edited by THIS IS MICHAEL JACKSON

I just had a thought: I am assuming everyone who has issues with their Collapse EP vinyls are comparing them to the digital versions and just aren't assuming there are audio issues, right (i'm probably wrong, but thought it might be worth mentioning). It might also be useful to compare a vinyl recording that is "right" versus your own potentially defective vinyl.

i wonder how many of the near mint copies for sale on discogs are the ones with the fucked up right channel...

Unless they are sealed (and event then you are taking a huge risk of getting a defect), I wouldn't trust a copy sold on Discogs unless the seller confirms it's fine.

I just had a thought: I am assuming everyone who has issues with their Collapse EP vinyls are comparing them to the digital versions and just aren't assuming there are audio issues, right (i'm probably wrong, but thought it might be worth mentioning). It might also be useful to compare a vinyl recording that is "right" versus your own potentially defective vinyl.

To clarify - I'm not implying there isn't something wrong with some pressings of the EP, but as we all know what equipment you play vinyl on makes a big difference in what you get out of it sound-wise.

what i meant was, most of defected copies owners are trying to get rid of them, but they will actually label it as in near mint condition... which is actually true but yeah...

Well, that would be on them from a moral standpoint - I think it would be disingenuous not to disclose if the copy has the pressing issue. If anything, stating that it is fine (and possibly provide a recording as proof) might go further in getting a sale and commanding a higher price.

In the end, I just hope whatever the root cause of this issue was (quality control at the plant, etc.) has been resolved, and we won't see more of this in future.

what i meant was, most of defected copies owners are trying to get rid of them, but they will actually label it as in near mint condition... which is actually true but yeah...

In my experience the majority of new vinyl bought firsthand is Very Good Plus at best by the time you get your hands on it. If a record has serious audio problems, then it should be graded lower than that still. You tend to mentally compensate for widespread over-grading when shopping, a Very Good Plus copy from someone who grades their stuff correctly is about as good as it gets for a lot of what's on the market though.

Sellers could claim theirs are unplayed but the higher ratings are a catch-22 in that respect anyway. How are you supposed to check for visible defects without unwrapping a record, and for audible defects without playing it and inflicting wear on it?

Seems pretty big yeah

I have three copies now (also their fuckup) and all of them have the same issue to different degrees

Can you post snippets of original record and the two replacements where the audio quality drops please

Seems pretty big yeah

I have three copies now (also their fuckup) and all of them have the same issue to different degrees

Can you post snippets of original record and the two replacements where the audio quality drops please

I gotta say, it’s concerning how desperate you seem to be for a recording of the issue…

Seems pretty big yeah

I gotta say, it’s concerning how desperate you seem to be for a recording of the issue…

I got my record from juno it was perfect

I thought it'd be interesting to hear the audio issue from each person that got a replacement with the original

compare and see if it's the same

• Like 1

Strong surface noise and crackle in the right channel only. Left channel unaffected.

It’s not that hard to imagine...

You should let warp know until you get a good record

Strong surface noise and crackle in the right channel only. Left channel unaffected.

It’s not that hard to imagine...

You should let warp know until you get a good record

I don’t believe there are any.

daddy

daddy

Did anyone actually take RDJ's advice and hear if it made a difference on their original and replacement vinyl?

Anyone take Joyrex's advice and compare different versions yet?

I hear some background noise, clicks and pops on the 2116 kbps wav of the collapse ep

Sounds the same on the collapse record I have