IGNORED

George Clanton

TRiP

Also goes under the ESPRIT name for his more vaporwave stuff

Fell in love with his first album 100% Electronica - and now he just recently dropped a new album 'SLIDE'

Had it on repeat the last week - not sure why it appeals to me so much, but it just does.

Any fans here? Hope there isn't already a topic.

Probably the best vaporwave producer who has branched out while still staying somewhat within the genre. Up there with NMESH, dds.wmv, 2814. Saint Pepsi just went for that "future funk" lazy but fun stuff and a lot of other originators moved on. 

Fell in love with his first album 100% Electronica - and now he just recently dropped a new album 'SLIDE'

Had it on repeat the last week - not sure why it appeals to me so much, but it just does.

I liked it too. It has this shameless harkening to late 80s / early 90s dance rock stuff - heavy vibes of late 80s / early 90s alternative and indie dance - grebo, rap-house, baggy, madchester, stuff like EMF, Jesus Jones or crossover shoegaze/alt rock stuff songs like Chapterhouse's Pearl. I wouldn't be shocked if he tried reviving big beat.

Reminded me A LOT of Elite Gymnastics

I've been trying to bookmark ones I come across, there's a fair amount in post-dubstep / future bass music and some "lo fi house" though and stuff on cassette labels like 100% silk, orange milk, 1080p, etc. Have a working playlist of stuff with rave-y music coupled with vocals more akin to rock or indie

Artists like тпсб, kedr livanskiy, and teengirl fantasy also come to mind

Palmboden II has done some humorous breakbeat rave covers of Slowdive and Stone Roses in his Memories of Cindy vids

Edited by joshuatx

^ Man, I was just complaining the other day about how few breakbeat tracks there were in the recent hipster rave revival; cheers for the intro!

That duo bowed out way back in 2013 too - they were doing stuff in 2011-2012 that was WAY ahead of the game. James Brooks put some more decent solo stuff out but he's been quiet lately. He was part of the same broad tumbr clique of folks who were doing stuff before vaporwave gained traction and/or as witch house and "seapunk" were fizzling out. He also used to be Grimes' partner for years, she did some artwork for his solo releases.

Hmm I really liked 100% electronica, definitely will check out his new album. I didn't like 200% electronica as much, just never got into it.

EDIT: oh wait that was just 100% electronica with a espirit release on it.

EDIT2: just finished a good long listen of this. Excellent album

Edited by Bubba69

Breathing a slight sigh of release now that there are a few replies here...was starting to think I was the only fan  :emb: 

Funnily enough - was at an after party last week and people were just throwing songs on youtube - I threw a George Clanton track on and it did not go down well with the room...awkward few minutes to say the least.

Would hate to relegate him to a 'guilty pleasure' category just down to others peoples reactions, because he is actually doing great things musically. 

I too wasn't so keen on 200% Electronica, as it felt too much of a straight forward remix of 100%, but now its slightly grown on me, but wouldn't put it up there with his other stuff.

Having said that, I really love the live stream he did as ESPRIT where he remixes his virtua.zip album - the tracks feel like they make more sense in a longer format

• 1 month later...

sounds more seapunk than vaporwave 2me rlly nice

No, I get that too, I think I'd say it's not just that but more of a full circle return to the broader era of tumblr-centered electronic music and artwork, which was a bigger umbrella back in the late 00s / early 10s that vaporwave came out of. There was more crossover and less constraints / self-awareness back then.

The weird thing about vaporwave is it evolved, changed, expanded, and essentially got re-appropriated or redefined multiple times in the span of a few years, the way say punk did over decades. That early era of vaporwave / protovaporwave seems akin to the days when post-punk, goth, dance-punk, dark wave, new wave was all kind of being made in the early 80s without clear genre tags or scenes. 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...