IGNORED

Vinyl/Cassette/CD consumption and use

manmower

Pick the one option under each medium that best describes your situation  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Vinyl

• I buy records and use them for most of the listening
    • I buy records and use them from time to time, for some of the listening
    • I buy records and listen to those releases using other sources or rips exclusively
    • I buy records and currently have no means of playing them back
    • I buy records but don't actually listen to the music thereon in any way
    • I don't buy vinyl records
  2. 2. Cassette

• I buy tapes and use them for most of the listening
    • I buy tapes and use them from time to time, for some of the listening
    • I buy tapes and listen to those releases using other sources or rips exclusively
    • I buy tapes and currently have no means of playing them back
    • I buy tapes but don't actually listen to the music thereon in any way
    • I don't buy tapes
  3. 3. CD

• I buy CDs and use them for most of the listening
    • I buy CDs and use them from time to time, for some of the listening
    • I buy CDs and listen to those releases using other sources or rips exclusively
    • I buy CDs and currently have no means of playing them back
    • I buy CDs but don't actually listen to the music thereon in any way
    • I don't buy CDs

i collect all formats... cassettes, cd's and vinyls. listen mostly to music on my stereo via my computer - but my records get played a lot also (also when i dj). not so much my cassettes. they are mostly for collecting obsession. i sometimes listen to them on my cassette deck... but mostly it's obsession collecting. 

yeah and i play my cd's in the car...

I currently have no way of listening to cassettes, but I like physical media and usually even with shipping they’re only a few $ more than digis. Vinyl is my preferred format, which I listen to all the time.

CDs end up getting ripped onto my computer and then collect dust.

Hmm, maybe I shouldn't have included the fifth joke option if it's being treated as equivalent to the third.

Anyway CDs, while I keep getting lots of them, are kind of the biggest dust gatherers for me too.

Cd's are ones where I still use them here and there in my car and home theater out of convenience (though sometimes using thumb drives instead), but I don't plan to purchase any more, because i see them as equivalent or inferior to listening to digital files. I could potentially see getting rid of them sometime in the future, not sure.

I like vinyl and cassettes better for physical media, they're of a different nature so yield a slightly altered listening experience. I think vinyl gets mastered differently than digitals. I have way more vinyl than cassettes, as i only recently started getting the latter, and have yet to pick up a cassette deck to incorporate into my home theater. Hopefully SOON.

i think im gonna stick to records from now on but until recently i only bought cds... although i have a turntable and a cd player, for listening purposes i use mostly mp3... once in a while i use my records and cds for djing...

i just got my hands on a denon double tape deck and a double cd player with remote control for free. :^) it happens that the ship where i work usually throws out obsolete equipment that's not used anymore so employees get to keep them if they want to, sweeeeet!

no vinyl for me. not particularly on purpose or anything. i've never had a turntable or played a record in my life. if i had cash and space i'd love to get into it :)

got back into tapes a couple years ago just for fun and nostalgia when i found a crap old boombox, ended up finding it really enjoyable and satisfying in every way, got obsessed.. bought a couple good decks and walkmans (guess i only ever had cheap players as a kid, i had no idea cassettes could sound so good).. only gots a few proper cassette releases, mostly i record stuff myself. i listen to stuff off laptop or phone when not chillin' at home.

CDs, haven't bought one in years, totally happy to just go 100% nonphysical + whatever tape foolery i do for fun..

ps i miss my minidisc recorder

I buy CDs, vinyl and cassettes but mostly seem to end up listening to digital files via computer or phone. Still really enjoy the act of buying physical media, exclusively buying digital wouldn’t be the same for me

Switched on my CD player for the first time in months today, had to spend a couple of minutes looking for the remote in order to be able to tell whether the Collapse EP has CD-Text.

(It does.)

xCtdd8l.png

Don't think my token effort warrants a change of vote though.

Used to play tapes everyday in my office at my old job. Since then beyond dubbing tapes or digitizing rare/obscure stuff I've found I don't use my decks regularly anymore. Any CDs I get I digitize rather quickly. Have a 70s era Panasonic turntable but haven't played it in awhile. Just no down time anymore, throwing on the radio or Spotify is easier with a toddler and baby than worrying about little hands grabbing at vinyl.

Cassettes ruled when I was younger. Cheap, convenient, recordable.

Vinyl: I get why people dig it, but the reality of it all (inconsistent pressings, subject to decay / damage very easily, need $$$ to get a decent analog signal chain) is why I don't go after vinyl as much. 

CDs: closer to the master tapes than any of the above. Convenient. Sturdy. 

Streaming is a joke, they can revoke the music at any time.

Digital - basically a CD in a file.

anyway my 2 cents.

Friends and people keep giving me vinyl, so now I have a small collection (plus the records I bought ages ago for sampling purposes) yet I don't have a turntable to play them on. I don't even have room for one, so who knows when they'll get played.

Streaming on the go, vinyl at home.

I really don't get people that buy media they don't have a means of playing, just put aside some of the money you were going to use buying records and you'll have a decent enough set-up sooner or later. A guy that helps out at my workplace told me he collects 7" singles, he has around a 1000 of them, I asked him if he has a lot of listening sessions, dude doesn't have a turntable. Never looked at him in the same way. Collectors are weird.   

Still buy a lot of cds. It’s basically a hard digital copy. I also like to find special editions/Japanese versions.

Sold my 2000+ vinyl and only have about 10 now., thought I’d miss them but don’t.

Still have cassettes but sold my old vw with had a cassette deck, current beemer does not.

Thought keeps crossing my mind to buy a minidisc player but realise my phone does exactly the same thing.

Sold my 2000+ vinyl and only have about 10 now., thought I’d miss them but don’t.

Did the same with same amount CD collection, also don't miss them.

I want to drastically reduce my vinyl collection but don't quite have the energy yet to sort through them all and offlead/sell them.

Do you feel like you got a good deal? Did you sell to a shop or to an individual? Did you use discogs?

I’m still collecting records almost daily but I’m starting to feel a bit like I need to let it all go and am curious about selling mine (around 1000). Especially if, following the impending apocalypse, records are rendered worthless.

• 1 month later...

I buy and listen mostly cassettes and CDs. I have a few hundred vinyls but I don't tend to listen to them much, I don't find my turntable fun to use, the arm always go back to its original place when I try to play an LP. Otherwise, mp3s when I'm on the go.

I have a few dozen records and CD's but don't actually have any stereo system setup or anything. I have a turntable but can't afford any good amp or speakers for the moment plus I'm not yet convinced I like the sound of vinyl at all anyway. I wanted to get a CD player a while ago but found them astonishingly expensive for what they are. I'd rather just stick to digitals and streaming.

Archived