IGNORED

Vinyl/Cassette/CD consumption and use

manmower

Pick the one option under each medium that best describes your situation  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Vinyl

• I buy records and use them for most of the listening
    • I buy records and use them from time to time, for some of the listening
    • I buy records and listen to those releases using other sources or rips exclusively
    • I buy records and currently have no means of playing them back
    • I buy records but don't actually listen to the music thereon in any way
    • I don't buy vinyl records
  2. 2. Cassette

• I buy tapes and use them for most of the listening
    • I buy tapes and use them from time to time, for some of the listening
    • I buy tapes and listen to those releases using other sources or rips exclusively
    • I buy tapes and currently have no means of playing them back
    • I buy tapes but don't actually listen to the music thereon in any way
    • I don't buy tapes
  3. 3. CD

• I buy CDs and use them for most of the listening
    • I buy CDs and use them from time to time, for some of the listening
    • I buy CDs and listen to those releases using other sources or rips exclusively
    • I buy CDs and currently have no means of playing them back
    • I buy CDs but don't actually listen to the music thereon in any way
    • I don't buy CDs

I'm getting rid of all of my records, CDs and cassettes except for a few things from close friends. I've decided to stop buying any physical media and support artists I like through digital means or by directly giving them money at shows. Since I've quit drinking, I figure giving that beer money directly to artists I enjoy is a better use of it. I might buy a merch shirt to replace an old shitty shirt once in a while.

Currently attempting some major decluttering and I have my eye on racks of vinyl and boxes of CDs which have gone mostly untouched for a decade or longer. Lot of old 12"s earmarked for DJing that were used once or twice and shelved, and piles of CDs bought over the years that have mostly been covered by a digital replacement where necessary.

There's a lot in there that's worth pennies now, even in this so called golden age revival for vinyl. I'm fairly resigned to the idea of taking boxes of records and CDs to the nearest goodwill store and letting them worry about it rather than pinch for pennies from chuds on discogs. Rest assured if I do have any gems that I'm parting with, I'll see what I can do about offering them here first.

Ive been hoarding choice CDs for the last five years or so. They fill a few tupperwear boxes in a closet in one of my parents spare rooms in TX. I usually add to it when im back for holidays.

At my place I just listen to the CDs that ive recently grabbed (Other than that I only listen to digital files tho - but i do go thru each CD i grab). Last 2 years I haven't had enough bag space to take them all back home during xmas time So the collection at the apartment is getting bigger.

Archived