IGNORED

NTS is the worst ae release in a while

coax

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I feel like track length may be working against NTS.  MANY of these songs suffer from over extension. You can literally click anywhere in the timeline and get nearly the same results, which to me suggests these "tracks" are more like imprints or castings of a single idea and not a "song" per se. 

lickneonlights had the same problem with lp5 in his "this is great music making" video. make of that what you will...

flol yeah the skipping through the track thing. What the actual fuck?

*skips to 10 different points in a movie*

"well this is clearly trash"

lol I do exactly that a lot with new music. but still.

Liked his/her description of the albums though

Would you say that lp5, ep7, confield, etc. suffer from the same problem (lack of development) though? Obviously they're not as long, but the 'basically just a single idea' part?

Going back to the OP, I would say it's different for those tracks during that era because they have a different sense of fidelity and resolve. Surripere, Sublimit, Bladelores. All over 10min and they just sound more deliberate.

Somebody said something about NTS being sessions. Elseq are EPs. So yeah, they're Canon, but they're not real albums in the sense that Exai or anything before it are conceived. I see everything after Exai being more a compilation of studies. There's nothing wrong with that, but I, like coax, don't hold them in the highest regard.

Typically for me, Autechre's newest release is better than the last. That's what I love about them - they're evolving. I think this recent stuff is certainly an ideological evolution, but for me it doesn't sound necessarily any better.

"along for the ride" - yes totally always.. 

i've always liked long songs.. t1a1 gets more amazing every time i hear it.  are there things i skip? sure. depends on mood. have i made a playlist w/all my favs? yes. is it still almost 8 hours long.. yep. 

in general i think some ideas need 15 or 20 minutes and some only need 6. but i've always had a problem making songs that weren't too long for most people.  so, i think it's awesome they let all these things breath and unwind over however long they think the needed to be. 

as for the conceptual bit of what is art what is a song what is a composition.. i think all that's been run over for years by lot's of people and i haven't given it a lot of thought in relation to the NTS sessions.. maybe i should have? i don't know. i'm also along for the ride. 

this is something other than an album.. it's something special and any artist who gets the opportunity to do something like this and have it taken seriously, (which well.. autechre is always going to be taken seriously) should obviously do it. autechre can do whatever they want and it'll get eaten up. this is a good thing to me. 

a lot of these tracks are hard for me to imagine squeezed in to 5 or 8 or 9 minutes.. same goes for the longer songs on exai.  i would feel short changed if didn't get all of icari etc. 

after 25 or 30 years or however long they've been at it an NTS sessions type of release seemed inevitable.

i have no idea of what to expect from them going forward.  an album? a series of eps? a series of 30 minute concept pieces? all of the above?  w

hatever it is.. where can i preorder it? 

Word. I'm feeling you. You know, more so now than ever, I see their next release just being a Max runtime app, either fully generative or partially interactive with a write to disc function. I think a shift to software would make a lot of sense. Not in the develop tools for producers sense, but more so in the sound installation, sentient output product type system. Imagine a scenario where multiple people fire up the app and it's capabilities open up when it calls home or operates like a torrent/swarm and the amount of people using the app is a variable that drives different outputs so that bitch is a different type of arrangement over time.

I see their next release just being a Max runtime app, either fully generative or partially interactive with a write to disc function. 

shouldn't be that difficult. they probably would want to. that would be amazing. 

I see their next release just being a Max runtime app, either fully generative or partially interactive with a write to disc function. 

that would be amazing. 

Not really. Their output is much more interesting when it's efforts to make cohesive tracks rather than providing proof of concept, IMO.

Brian Eno already did something similar RE generative music what, a couple decades ago? =/

In a recent interview somewhere AE specifically said that they weren't interested in doing that. I think they also said they were probably done with the long-form stuff for now.

Going back to the OP, I would say it's different for those tracks during that era because they have a different sense of fidelity and resolve. Surripere, Sublimit, Bladelores. All over 10min and they just sound more deliberate.

What about stuff like VI Scose Poise, Sim Gishel, Bine, Fold4 Wrap5?

It's my go-to ae album for the past month now.

I feel it gathers all the right components from previous 'new' releases and forms them into brilliant pieces of music.

I haven't revisited elseq ever since someone ruined TBM2 for me.

Most of the tracks lead nowhere. They sound mostly the same from start to finish. No buildup

I often self-criticize my own stuff for the same thing. I do think that I aspire to achieve strong composition; things that build and transform, and so far I'm not satisfied.

At the same time, maybe not everything needs to crescendo or follow some kind of expectation of structural change. For the most part, I don't find NTS to be too problematic in this regard; maybe one or two places that drag for my personal taste, and that's not much in an 8 hour long-form release. Even then, there's usually still a good amount of delicious microstructural fluctuations going on. Actually, I think I will categorically disagree that most of the NTS tracks lead "nowhere."

when they start releasing heavily curated short albums again people here gonna flip about only getting an hour of music every two to three years - gonna be lush

Yeah, it'll suddenly be "Autechre have destroyed their golden era of dense protracted sound sagas, only to return to the boring normie 60 minute format. What a shame... it's like they don't even care anymore."

^but an AE generative thing/collection of Max patches would have a much better chance of being good, innovative, or at least interesting.

Interesting does not necessarily = enjoyable. That's pretty much my summary of all the NTS sessions.

If you don't like NTS do you see the possibility of this changing in the future? Its a massive album and its Ae so may be a bit soon to be writing it off as one of their worst??

It may change in the future but I figure it's unlikely. It's really just not my thing, my criticisms are p much the same as others. I'll keep re-listening to exai and AE_LIVE etc. heh

We all have our favorites and least favorites from whatever artists. This just happens to be my least favorite of theirs. I don't see anything wrong with that tbh.

Didn't say anything was wrong with it.. but one of my fav Ae albums used to be my least favourite! (*Chiastic Slide*)

So you should be open to the fact your opinion on it could change and give it some more listens and you may come to love it one day!

Archived