IGNORED

First look at Jauquin Phoawnics as Joker

T3551ER

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Written and directed by Todd Phillips; writer and director of the edgy and subversive The Hangover, Due Date & Old School.

Yeah I was excited for the movie until I looked up the director. Now my expectations are back at 0. Though I liked the trailer. It has this "Taxi Driver" vibe, the whole thing. I wouldn't be surprised if it comes off as a kind of contemporary remake of Taxi Driver.

Written and directed by Todd Phillips; writer and director of the edgy and subversive The Hangover, Due Date & Old School.

Yeah I was excited for the movie until I looked up the director. Now my expectations are back at 0. Though I liked the trailer. It has this "Taxi Driver" vibe, the whole thing. I wouldn't be surprised if it comes off as a kind of contemporary remake of Taxi Driver.

ya never know when it comes to directors. that guy has probably been looking for this project his whole life and couldn't wait to get away from the typical things he gets offered. could be?  maybe not but could be. 

i think the taxi driver comparison fits. hopefully with updated 2019 style weirdness.  parts of the trailer sort of look whimpy.. like "everyone was mean to me and hurt my feelings" so i'm hoping there is some deeper psycho trauma in there.  frances conroy can play the weird mom as well as anyone. she's excellent in everything i've seen her in. she played the mom in 6 feet under and also was some goofy weird characters in american horror story. 

maybe i'm seeing this movie for frances conroy being the joker's mom. hmm. 

I paused at the writing on the notepad. He was writing a joke: The worst part about having a mental illness is that people expect you to behave as if you don't.

That is a heck of a joke.

[...] "smile when you're broken inside?" [...]

jesus christ that's the worst shit i've read in i don't know how long

People in here always busting me for gatekeeping, then I come in this thread and see a bunch of people gatekeeping a comic book movie.

At least when I gatekeep, it’s about stuff that actually matters. What a sad thread.

(That’s right, I just gatekept gatekeeping)

already have tickets on fandango

ya never know when it comes to directors. that guy has probably been looking for this project his whole life and couldn't wait to get away from the typical things he gets offered. could be?  maybe not but could be. 

i think the taxi driver comparison fits. hopefully with updated 2019 style weirdness.  parts of the trailer sort of look whimpy.. like "everyone was mean to me and hurt my feelings" so i'm hoping there is some deeper psycho trauma in there.  frances conroy can play the weird mom as well as anyone. she's excellent in everything i've seen her in. she played the mom in 6 feet under and also was some goofy weird characters in american horror story. 

maybe i'm seeing this movie for frances conroy being the joker's mom. hmm. 

Jordan Peele is a good example of someone who was looking for the right project, Key and Peele was a decent show, but you'd never expect Jordan Peele to make great horror films.

The film is full of actors with talent. Another thing to keep in mind is that Joaquin (and Francis and De Niro) chose to be apart of the movie, hopefully from the quality of the script.

I'm willing to bet the inciting incident of his transformation has something to do with his mother. I'm guessing she will probably die and it will be something that could have been prevented one way or another and he will blame his mothers death on Gotham and Thomas Wayne somehow.

Oh and I know the movie isn't even out yet, but I think Joaquin's Joker is the most aesthetically appealing compared to past incarnations. Something about the "Red, White, and Blue" coloring that just looks good, as well as his suit. hmm, wonder if the color choices are supposed to parallel the american flag.

woah... well I do have the tendency to only watch a given actor's more critically acclaimed movies and skip the rest so I guess I'm biased. I can't think of any recent films with him in them.

heath ledger is probably going to be the quintessential joker for a good 50 years.  nothing against jack nicholson but ledger's creation stole the whole film.. every scene he's in is fireworks on acid.  it's  good movie even though batman sometimes talks too slow when he's angry and i find it jarring because it disturbs the pace of the scene sometimes. 

i think wahwahkeen is good.. .pretty much always good. from way back to now so i think he'll do a good job.. i just hope the film lives up to whatever he does...  i hope it finds a way to make him sort of already crazy instead of doing some kind of "Dexter born in blood" moment.

if he just gets picked on by kids when he's trying to "spread the love" it'll be tarded. 

Both of those are Marvel tho yeah , this is DC and DC have not made a good film since Nolan was doing stuff with them

what's the actual consensus on marvel in here?

i think it's all terrible. maybe worth watching if you are on an international flight

hmm. I like most of the superhero films that have come out in the past 15 years. But if I were to give them letter grades most would get a 'C'. Only ones that would get an A are Logan, X-men: First Class, X-men: Days of Future Past, GOTG 1, Thor Ragnarock, Civil War, and Infinity War, which is my favorite film in the MCU because of Thanos. It was a really good idea on their part to make him the protagonist of the film. Because of it I'm really looking forward to Endgame.

Black Panther would probably have gotten an 'A' from me, but the last fourth or fifth of the film is disappointing. It goes downhill after Killmonger gets the power of the Black Panther and meets his dad. There's also the last cgi fight in that train station, where you just know the cgi won't age well at all. I think they should have had them fight in a more intimate setting since they're family.

I'm also getting tired of the MCU trope of the third act massive cgi battle where it's our heroes verses some expendable army where the heroes beat the army 100% of the time.

I will probably take a break from watching MCU films after Endgame. Though supposedly there won't be any MCU films for a year after the Spiderman one.

As far as DC is concerned I haven't liked a single one since Nolan's Trilogy. Haven't seen shazam though and I don't understand why Wonderwoman is so critically acclaimed. I can barely remember anything from it except being bored, that cheesy last cgi battle, and that it was full of tropes, such as the fish out of water trope when she was... in London I think.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

reading around a bit about this and seems it was heavily influenced, or the director was, of the King Of Comedy movie w/jerry lewis, robert deniro.. which is kinda interesting.. but it still comes across as "we live in a society yo" or whatever.. but who knows.. maybe he kills everyone int he audience at the end or something. he's a good actor so if the script is decent then it'll be watchable. 

20 hours ago, ManjuShri said:

WOW - my opinion (and interest in seeing) this movie has gone up considerably - this might be the one to break the DCEU curse and ironically it's the most non-superhero movie featuring a super villian that might just do it!

• 1 month later...

Archived