IGNORED

First look at Jauquin Phoawnics as Joker

T3551ER

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im going to watch it, but my prejudices are that it is too mental, so much psicoanalysis about a character and his personal development. In my opinion the joker resembles his essence better in the inminent uncertain chaos of his actions, rather than over explaining a dramatic background where he may have developped those fucked up mental traits. You already know that the character may have some sort of depressive background behind, which may be interesting to know, but I prefer the joker in action coming out of nowhere randomly and also dissapearing like that without no much explanation, which is what gives him a major percentage of his magic, like it was in Dark Knight or Batman89. The idea of not knowing his supposed personal history in much detail is more appealing than looking for an explanation of why he is like that

Kind of interesting to see this huge pendulum swing in reviews. Early critical reviews praising the beejesus out of it (probably because no one thought the guy who made The Hangover + a comic property would amount to much). Now, it's like everyone seems keen to point out how empty, lacking in depth, maudlin, NOT worthy of praise it is/should be. Like, depending on what you went in expecting could really sway your reaction? Guess that's not a new thing but sort of fascinating to see such a drastic demarcation in critical responses. . . 

If people are saying that it's an empty movie then I'm not sure what movie they watched. Or rather, I watched.
It's a character-driven movie. The movie is the character and Joaquin Phoenix is fucking brilliant as that character. So to me it was a VERY good movie. An extremely good movie.

EDIT: Also, what the hell is this about? It's like this is the first time anyone has ever seen a violent movie.
https://theplaylist.net/cinemark-theater-joker-closing-20191004/

Reminds me of this...
UnlawfulHonorableHanumanmonkey-size_rest

I mean, what about all the slasher moves that people are watching in October? Don’t understand why this move is getting so much focus, other than the fact that it’s supposed to be a “good” movie. 

Honestly this sucks though, because now I can’t find all her old tracks I used to listen to on YouTube. There was one with a picture of a bleak landscape with three people hanging. Do a search now and it’s pages and pages of joker. 

Yeah, this was good. So very good. I'm going to have to think on it for a while: there's so much to say. There are problems, to be sure, but all the best things have them. 

On 10/4/2019 at 2:50 PM, sheatheman said:

I mean, what about all the slasher moves that people are watching in October? Don’t understand why this move is getting so much focus, other than the fact that it’s supposed to be a “good” movie. 

it's because the media narrative is that edgy 4chan incels will use it as an anti-authoritarian rallying cry to lash out at normals

I think the centrist media wants everyone to be subjugated to a binary interpretation of every piece of culture.

its really a movie about loneliness and transcendence, and has some beautiful moments

but instead of blaming rampant capitalism for the loneliness “incel” viewers could relate to in Joaquin’s performance, they want them to blame themselves

if nothing else, maybe incels will start doing tai chi?

Or maybe it’s just good PR from DC...?

^ Every leftist (actual leftist, not liberals) I've talked to liked the movie, ranging from thinking it was perfectly fine to one of the best films in the last few years or so. 

This episode of Chapo Trap House goes into that and how detached the actual movie is from all of the knee-jerk sensationalist reviews and speculation about edgelord alt-righters, incels, gamergaters, etc. One even argued that that demographic should see it and reflect on it, not avoid it, because otherwise they just buy into the bullshit hysteria by centrist mainstream media. I think Michael Moore said something similar, saying there was more danger socially in people not seeing it.

Lol I listened to that right after I saw it. And the related episode of cum town.

i like that these alternate view points are able to thrive without being totally cancelled by center wokes. Probably more due to patreon and not being very accountable to anyone.

I mean, it’s basically a new place to go for MDE refugees.

my friend came up with a good name for this brand of humor/politics:

Magical Nihilism.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, IDEM said:

To those who loved the movie: what did you love about it, and have your feelings changed over time or mostly remained the same?

Still love it. But what I love is Joaquin Phoenix's performance. His performance is the movie. The way he is able to portray pain while laughing is god damn amazing. I felt absolutely terrible for him.

The small facial movements he does are insane. There's one scene in particular at the diner where he looks at Zazie Beetz and he does this tiny twitch with his eyebrows which just shows how deeply in love he is with her.
Also, the absolutely beautiful soundtrack by Hildur Gudnadottir makes the hair on my arms stand up.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/3/2019 at 11:34 PM, Squee said:

Still love it. But what I love is Joaquin Phoenix's performance. His performance is the movie. The way he is able to portray pain while laughing is god damn amazing. I felt absolutely terrible for him.

The small facial movements he does are insane. There's one scene in particular at the diner where he looks at Zazie Beetz and he does this tiny twitch with his eyebrows which just shows how deeply in love he is with her.
Also, the absolutely beautiful soundtrack by Hildur Gudnadottir makes the hair on my arms stand up.

Yeah, that makes sense. And at the same it's kind of what I didn't like about it, if that makes sense. While I felt sort of entertained at the beginning, it just deflated in the end, and looking back on it now, the whole affair seems very stale. It just smacks of calculation: Watch out Oscars, here we come. I guess I just can't stand "actor-driven" movies and didn't see much potential in it beyond that apart from being a faux "artsy" comic book movie trying too hard to prove it's more than that. If the whole point was to portray an iconic supervillain as a scrawny wimp that you can only feel sorry for, then yay, but where was the anarchy at the core of the character? Gone, along with all of its mystery. To me, the single line "Why so serious?" tells me more about the character than two long and very redundant hours of Jokin' Fenix trying to act his heart out. So yeah, I guess for me it was just a polished turd, lol.

Archived