T3551ER

First look at Jauquin Phoawnics as Joker

lol Magical Nihilism

I saw the film. It was alright. Is jeuoquian pheoauniex returning for future batman films?

Just got back from the cinema after watching Joker. Absolutely loved it!!! 

To those who loved the movie: what did you love about it, and have your feelings changed over time or mostly remained the same?

43 minutes ago, IDEM said:

To those who loved the movie: what did you love about it, and have your feelings changed over time or mostly remained the same?

Still love it. But what I love is Joaquin Phoenix's performance. His performance is the movie. The way he is able to portray pain while laughing is god damn amazing. I felt absolutely terrible for him.

The small facial movements he does are insane. There's one scene in particular at the diner where he looks at Zazie Beetz and he does this tiny twitch with his eyebrows which just shows how deeply in love he is with her.
Also, the absolutely beautiful soundtrack by Hildur Gudnadottir makes the hair on my arms stand up.

• Like 1

I wonder what River would be doing today

• Sad 1

On 11/3/2019 at 11:34 PM, Squee said:

Still love it. But what I love is Joaquin Phoenix's performance. His performance is the movie. The way he is able to portray pain while laughing is god damn amazing. I felt absolutely terrible for him.

The small facial movements he does are insane. There's one scene in particular at the diner where he looks at Zazie Beetz and he does this tiny twitch with his eyebrows which just shows how deeply in love he is with her.
Also, the absolutely beautiful soundtrack by Hildur Gudnadottir makes the hair on my arms stand up.

Yeah, that makes sense. And at the same it's kind of what I didn't like about it, if that makes sense. While I felt sort of entertained at the beginning, it just deflated in the end, and looking back on it now, the whole affair seems very stale. It just smacks of calculation: Watch out Oscars, here we come. I guess I just can't stand "actor-driven" movies and didn't see much potential in it beyond that apart from being a faux "artsy" comic book movie trying too hard to prove it's more than that. If the whole point was to portray an iconic supervillain as a scrawny wimp that you can only feel sorry for, then yay, but where was the anarchy at the core of the character? Gone, along with all of its mystery. To me, the single line "Why so serious?" tells me more about the character than two long and very redundant hours of Jokin' Fenix trying to act his heart out. So yeah, I guess for me it was just a polished turd, lol.

The scene in the comedy club where he's taking notes and laughing alone made the film worth watching for me, the fact that you think the film deflates the mystery of a "supervillain" just illustrates that we're looking at this movie from completely different angles. The Joker has never been more interesting imo.

And sure it's pompous and it doesn't fully gel, but if DC dares to go this route instead of sustaining the ridiculous Snyderverse grimdark punching, growling and explosions shit shows, I think DC movies *could* end up interesting, at the very least. They obviously can't compete with the Disneyverse marvel machinery anyway, so why not try to go in a completely different direction for a couple of films. Maybe even hand it off to some good directors? I mean this was from the guy that made the Hangover films ffs.

Dear god, I'm a well grown man discussing comic book movies on an internet forum. I have much shame.

Edited by Gocab

Lol, me too, bro.

I wanted to add something about how he's basically Forrest Gump under that make-up and, more importantly, about Bruce Wayne's parents and changing the canon, but now I can't bring myself to do it ...

Edited by IDEM

This portrait of joker has nothing to do with the joker we know! Nothing! It’d be impossible for him to become ledger’s or nicholson’s joker irl... no logic in that.

Maybe he’s just a different character that happened to influence heath ledger’s joker in the same fictional world? 

Edited by xox

Yeah I would say he seems a little too childlike. Which is interesting. 

It's confirmed Joker 2 is being worked on. I have no clue what it could be about but they're officially working on it.

2 Joker 2 Furious

• Like 1

They're all different universes and such tho yeah so no linearity is required or implied ye @xox

• Thanks 2

16 hours ago, Brisbot said:

It's confirmed Joker 2 is being worked on. I have no clue what it could be about but they're officially working on it.

He devolves back from the kingpin of international supercrime into a lovable childlike simpleton with a mild mental condition, an endearing stutter and a crush on his neighbor. He just won't live with his mother anymore. :dadjoke:

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Stickfigger said:

They're all different universes and such tho yeah so no linearity is required or implied ye @xox

Yeah if they're gonna do it I'd like to see a different take on the character with the same actor. I think that could be interesting, instead of just doing a straightforward sequel with the same guy. I really don't see how they could do another standalone with Arthur as he exists. I feel like that character has already been explored to it's fullest.

Or they can pull what James Cameron did with Alien and add an 's' at the end to make 'Jokers'.

Edited by Brisbot

@Brisbot

Jokers

- ”in space no one can hear you laugh!”

3 minutes ago, xox said:

@Brisbot

Jokers

- ”in space no one can hear you laugh!”

lol imagine a bunch of Arthur Flecks/ Walking Phoenixes in the ceiling instead of the aliens

Edited by Brisbot

6 minutes ago, Brisbot said:

lol imagine a bunch of Arthur Flecks/ Walking Phoenixes in the ceiling instead of the aliens

Lol god 😂

• Like 1

Joker vs Superman is another potentially profitable idea. No?

11 minutes ago, Squee said:

boo

36 minutes ago, xox said:

Joker vs Superman is another potentially profitable idea. No?

This time Joker can't deus ex machina by having mothers with the same name.

• Haha 1