IGNORED

Aphex Twin - is it OK to only like the bits that sound nice?

zazen

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I made my own edit of T69 Collapse with the middle bit chopped out, would that be some kind of sacrilege?

No. Do whatever you want. It's your time, ears, and preference. I like to listen to some tracks at different speeds, some channels removed, and even sometimes in a different key.

If I made my own edit of T69 Collapse with the middle bit chopped out, would that be some kind of sacrilege?

No. Do whatever you want. It's your time, ears, and preference. I like to listen to some tracks at different speeds, some channels removed, and even sometimes in a different key.

lol?

I know this is pure insta-ban , but I've done this forever with rdj's music. The tracks are always all over the place. Some tracks are beyond life in it's quality and others just plain boring or harsh. All the annoying spoken parts, crappy stuff before awesome stuff(like on ventolin/crowsmengegus) or crappy Eq:ing (like Girl/Boy snarerush mix - just all treble?!?). I know this warrants "B7" or whatever among the AFX worship but hey I like a perfectly curated collection of tracks that is just great. (I mostly listen to my own stuff usually, then I can adjust everything to my own liking)

Nothing wrong with listening at different speeds. It's one of the great things about vinyl. Windowlicker at 33rpm is LUSH

I know this is pure insta-ban , but I've done this forever with rdj's music. The tracks are always all over the place. Some tracks are beyond life in it's quality and others just plain boring or harsh. All the annoying spoken parts, crappy stuff before awesome stuff(like on ventolin/crowsmengegus) or crappy Eq:ing (like Girl/Boy snarerush mix - just all treble?!?). I know this warrants "B7" or whatever among the AFX worship but hey I like a perfectly curated collection of tracks that is just great. (I mostly listen to my own stuff usually, then I can adjust everything to my own liking)

i'm not into cutting bits out but changing, tweaking and filtering aphex tracks is definitely something i've been doing for ages. changing speed, pitch, using noise removal/isolation - there are loads and loads of simple things you can do to enhance your favourite tunes. the ones you see on youtube are just the tip of the iceberg - i have dozens and dozens of mixes like this saved around (i only tend to save the good ones). imo we could get an epic thread going for aphex modded tracks!

lol?

You don't know if you are laughing out loud? If you care to take the time to formulate a response then I could elaborate.

Anyways... I like those fast bits, would you like anything?

rdj has always been focused on putting out a wide an eclectic range of moods an styles within his releases (particularly his most mainstream albums) to the point that when drukqs was released he openly advised people to choose their favourites and make their own playlists etc.

Thats interesting, do you have a source for that? Because it kindof implies that he wanted Drukqs to be a certain way when considered as a whole - the way that a music critic would consider it, for example - but he was also quite happy for punters like us to just pick and choose the bits we like.

Yeah, dude is definitely considering what music journalist might think about his music when he's putting an album together.

:wacko:

It's fine to edit the tracks into something you like more, seems like it might be a creative process.

rdj has always been focused on putting out a wide an eclectic range of moods an styles within his releases (particularly his most mainstream albums) to the point that when drukqs was released he openly advised people to choose their favourites and make their own playlists etc.

Thats interesting, do you have a source for that? Because it kindof implies that he wanted Drukqs to be a certain way when considered as a whole - the way that a music critic would consider it, for example - but he was also quite happy for punters like us to just pick and choose the bits we like.

Yeah, dude is definitely considering what music journalist might think about his music when he's putting an album together.

It's fine to edit the tracks into something you like more, seems like it might be a creative process.

Oh yes he definitely said that. IT was in an interview right after the album dropped. The interviewer I think asked about the album length or the length between his releases, and he said something like he'd rather just release a lot of music at once and  people choose their tracks off the album.

Funny at  the time the interviewer was wondering why it took him 4 years to release an album.

Oh yes he definitely said that. IT was in an interview right after the album dropped. The interviewer I think asked about the album length or the length between his releases, and he said something like he'd rather just release a lot of music at once and  people choose their tracks off the album.

Funny at  the time the interviewer was wondering why it took him 4 years to release an album.

To me that doesn't equal considering what music journalists think when you're making your album but maybe I'm missing the point. It's irrelevant anyway. Guess I was a bit irked by the music journalists vs punters like us statement.

Yeah of course it's fine to edit tracks how you see fit, it's just funny he asked. I edited Drukqs out from the CCAI 1 and the main stuff.

To me that doesn't equal considering what music journalists think when you're making your album but maybe I'm missing the point. It's irrelevant anyway. Guess I was a bit irked by the music journalists vs punters like us statement.

If I catch your meaning right, RDJ said that to a question asked by the interviewer. So it's HIS opinion. However framed by what the interviewer is asking.

Archived